Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:37 PM

209 posts, read 314,459 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My Brother is a extremely successfull professional (mid six figures) who is currently married to a wife who does not work in a standard job. Rather than being employed, she assists around the house and persues her own interests ranging from education, travel, investing, leadership in community interests, and improving her artistic ability. She being well rounded prefers this type of freedom to working 9 to 5, and he being very career driven enjoys working and feels PROUD to provide the means for her to have this type of life.

However, so many of my relatives as well as people in their social circle criticize the arrangement stating the following cliches:

1. He is a sucker

2. If she is not taking care of kids and not working, she is a parasite.

Yet, it seems to work very well for both of them.

Just wondering, why are so many people so judgemental of these type of marriages and have you ever seen a marriage where the husband was the provider, the wife persued her own personal development and interests, but no kids were involved work out great?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,124,300 times
I don't get it. I did that when we first married. People don't know what you're doing with your life.

They need to MYOB. He should tell off the relatives and find a new social circle if they really are criticizing.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,986,512 times
Well, to each their own.. whatever works for them.

To me it just seems strange... but hey if they're happy so be it.

It did however make me chuckle when you said "she prefers being able to travel and have free time instead of work" like that is something that should surprise us.

My personal opinion, the woman just seems like a mooch in that situation. It's situations like that, that make me wonder if this woman would feel the same way if times got hard and she actually had to do something besides nothing.

However, my personal opinion doesn't matter because they are happy.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 PM

914 posts, read 768,094 times
They have no right to be judgmental, it has nothing to do with them. Those people really aught to focus more on their own shyte.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,713,704 times
I'm in graduate school full time and pregnant with our first. I'm not working for the first time in the 20 years that have passed since I graduated from high school. We planned this, it's fine. If anybody has a problem with it, it really doesn't matter a whit. I'm glad to have the opportunity to focus solely on my degree and my family, and my husband's glad we can afford for me to do so.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 PM

102,273 posts, read 108,342,014 times
That's great that she's using her time constructively, and is giving to the community. It's situations like this that can move charitable causes forward, and help make a difference in other people's lives. The ultimate example is Eleanor Roosevelt, who was so involved in societal an humanitarian causes, and ended up being Ambassador to the UN.

Their choice is nobody's concern. Your relatives are petty, apparently either bored or unhappy or both, idiots who have nothing better to do than criticize other people's life choices, instead of being supportive of their own relative. Backstabbers are pretty low people. He'd do well to distance himself from them.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,260,537 times
I dunno, back when I grew up hardly any moms worked outside the home.

It probably all goes back to the American hatred of poverty.

Not earning every penny you physically can, is almost blasphemous.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,713,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

I think it's more a matter of the reality that in many multi-person households, being able to live on a single income is not realistic or affordable. When people do find a way to swing it, they are sometimes eyed with envy and suspicion.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM

8,286 posts, read 8,699,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

She is not a mom.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,221,710 times
I think it has to do with how people view work. A lot of people measure their own self worth by their job and their income. So they measures other by it as well. And some people don't like their jobs so they harbor resentment towards people that don't have to work. It's sort of like - If I have to work - why don't they have to work! It's not fair!

If everyone was happy - then they wouldn't care what other people do with their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships