Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:16 PM

291 posts, read 273,876 times

Advertisements

I doubt anyone really cares (I barely even care anymore) but this has been stewing for a few years now and I'm just going to get it off my chest. I think I just straight up don't understand dating. Like, I have this idea in my head of what people's motivations are, and why/how a romantic relationship is supposed to exist, but when it comes to the actual application in real life, I'm at a complete loss for words on what the hell anyone's even doing.

Allow me to explain...

In my late teens and early twenties, my experience with relationships was largely that girls wanted them, and I didn't. Immaturity was abound, girls were unbelievably clingy/needy, and virtually everyone I knew was still at least partially (though most were fully) financially dependent on their parents. I honestly don't know how anyone ever took that crap seriously. Moving on.

As I progressed through my mid-twenties, I was happy to see that things were generally more adult-like, but I always felt that my primary responsibility at that time was to work on my career and make sure that I could actually be the kick-ass dude I saw myself being in my future relationship/family. There were again several opportunities for a relationship to start during this time, but with the exception of one girl whom I would have done almost anything to be with, nothing was really compelling enough to prioritize over my other goals. As strange as it sounds, I often felt that I wasn't even really able to have a girlfriend at that time, because without more financial security, I could neither present myself in the way that I wanted nor be certain that I would be able to provide for a family should things move in that direction.

Right around when I turned 28, I had finally found myself in a position to comfortably invest in a relationship. I had moved to a new city, my career had elevated to a new level of success, my friends were married and far away (taking less of my free time) and most important of all -- I actually wanted to be in one! As an attractive guy with a great personality and a lot to look forward to, I thought it was going to be easy. Until I started dating, that is...

Fast-forward to today (I'm 30) and what I've found is nothing but an endless stream of flummoxing scenarios. There hasn't been one straightforward, zero-drama experience. This last girl for instance, has no problems texting me updates from her work all day (with pics), asking me how I'm doing, etc. but won't kiss me after 4 dates? After the date I text "thanks/take care" (in courteous fashion) and go to bed ready to move on, but the next day she sends this ridiculously long e-mail describing how I've taken her by surprise and she's having trouble putting together her feelings, etc... Seriously? You're 32 years old and this is how you're operating?

Meanwhile, if all I want is sex, I can pretty much just walk down to the bar on any night of the week or take one of the many friends I have up on their offer(s).

Anyway, makes no sense to me. I don't get people, dating, or relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,632,440 times
If you're getting easy sex, forget dating and keep doing that. Dating sucks.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
If you're getting easy sex, forget dating and keep doing that. Dating sucks.
I concur. I wish sex was that easy for me to get.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,532 times
I suspect that the ease with which you have access to sex is a major influence on your views on dating and relationships in general. Most men (I'd say 95% or so - especially in this forum) are decidedly NOT in the same boat as you. A casual perusal of the posts here just over the past couple months will make this readily apparent.

Most of the guys that I've known over the years who could get laid easily were like this - they saw no point in anything serious until they hit about 40 or so, in some cases even later.

"Why buy the cow..." etc. etc.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
The older you get, the less able you are to learn new things, like how to relate to people. If you want a relationship, I think you will be best suited with a woman like you: aloof, analytical, probably not particularly into romance or other frivolity. More gregarious and empathetic types are just not going to "get" you.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post

Like, I have this idea in my head of what people's motivations are, and why/how a romantic relationship is supposed to exist, but when it comes to the actual application in real life, I'm at a complete loss for words on what the hell anyone's even doing.

... I always felt that my primary responsibility at that time was to work on my career and make sure that I could actually be the kick-ass dude I saw myself being in my future relationship/family. There were again several opportunities for a relationship to start during this time, but with the exception of one girl whom I would have done almost anything to be with, nothing was really compelling enough to prioritize over my other goals.

As strange as it sounds, I often felt that I wasn't even really able to have a girlfriend at that time, because without more financial security, I could neither present myself in the way that I wanted nor be certain that I would be able to provide for a family should things move in that direction.

Right around when I turned 28, I had finally found myself in a position to comfortably invest in a relationship.

As an attractive guy with a great personality and a lot to look forward to, I thought it was going to be easy. Until I started dating, that is...
It makes sense to me.

Blame it on the parts in bold ^^^^^.

You had expectations. They didn't work out. Kick-ass dudes adapt and move forward.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
I've got 20 years on you OP and it doesn't get any easier.

Now I'm nearly 50 my own friends are a bit older, and they experience the exact same romantic type problems as any high school kid does.

It's one of the mysteries of life, don't try to explain it. Women want men, men want women, its as simple as that.

Also - nothing worth getting is ever easy. You are a late bloomer, nothing wrong with that, but when you meet HER she will take your breath away.

Chill out in the meantime, try and have some fun and stop questioning everything!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:35 PM

106 posts, read 87,879 times
If you can get laid without commitment, forget about a serious relationship. Take it from a married man, dating sucks.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman110 View Post
If you can get laid without commitment, forget about a serious relationship. Take it from a married man, dating sucks.
But rather than dating, you don't recommend marriage either? Or any other serious relationship?

Old 06-13-2015, 03:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post
I doubt anyone really cares (I barely even care anymore) but this has been stewing for a few years now and I'm just going to get it off my chest. I think I just straight up don't understand dating. Like, I have this idea in my head of what people's motivations are, and why/how a romantic relationship is supposed to exist, but when it comes to the actual application in real life, I'm at a complete loss for words on what the hell anyone's even doing.

Allow me to explain...

In my late teens and early twenties, my experience with relationships was largely that girls wanted them, and I didn't. Immaturity was abound, girls were unbelievably clingy/needy, and virtually everyone I knew was still at least partially (though most were fully) financially dependent on their parents. I honestly don't know how anyone ever took that crap seriously. Moving on.

As I progressed through my mid-twenties, I was happy to see that things were generally more adult-like, but I always felt that my primary responsibility at that time was to work on my career and make sure that I could actually be the kick-ass dude I saw myself being in my future relationship/family. There were again several opportunities for a relationship to start during this time, but with the exception of one girl whom I would have done almost anything to be with, nothing was really compelling enough to prioritize over my other goals. As strange as it sounds, I often felt that I wasn't even really able to have a girlfriend at that time, because without more financial security, I could neither present myself in the way that I wanted nor be certain that I would be able to provide for a family should things move in that direction.

Right around when I turned 28, I had finally found myself in a position to comfortably invest in a relationship. I had moved to a new city, my career had elevated to a new level of success, my friends were married and far away (taking less of my free time) and most important of all -- I actually wanted to be in one! As an attractive guy with a great personality and a lot to look forward to, I thought it was going to be easy. Until I started dating, that is...

Fast-forward to today (I'm 30) and what I've found is nothing but an endless stream of flummoxing scenarios. There hasn't been one straightforward, zero-drama experience. This last girl for instance, has no problems texting me updates from her work all day (with pics), asking me how I'm doing, etc. but won't kiss me after 4 dates? After the date I text "thanks/take care" (in courteous fashion) and go to bed ready to move on, but the next day she sends this ridiculously long e-mail describing how I've taken her by surprise and she's having trouble putting together her feelings, etc... Seriously? You're 32 years old and this is how you're operating?

Meanwhile, if all I want is sex, I can pretty much just walk down to the bar on any night of the week or take one of the many friends I have up on their offer(s).

Anyway, makes no sense to me. I don't get people, dating, or relationships.
I'm in a similar situation to you. I don't find it particularly difficult to get laid. I find it very easy to get laid from bars, especially.

I also don't really see the point in having a relationship. I'm a very analytical guy. I know what I want and it completely baffles me why people focus so much on a fleeting feeling, such as love, when there are more practical things to consider (financial security, likelihood of divorce, whether or not the person will make a good parent, etc).

Needless to say, I think that the vast majority of people are very immature and superficial in their beliefs.

I think that you just need to define what you want ("love", a family, just sex, etc) and then don't deal with the BS unless you think it will lead to that with someone potentially reliable.

And, if you don't find that desirable situation, meh, no harm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships