Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 PM

167 posts, read 378,479 times

Advertisements

I moved to a new state about a year ago for work after graduating college. I am ready to get back into the dating game and this time I'm looking for serious relationships. However, I don't want to live with the man before marriage because I feel like I'll have a whole lifetime (hopefully) to live with him and it'd be nice to have my own space before marriage. Also, I don't want to go through the trouble of dating someone and moving in with them, and then having the relationship not work out. I'm quite stern with this decision and will not be convinced otherwise.

Is it a deterrent for most men if the women they're dating don't want to live together before marriage?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,974,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
I moved to a new state about a year ago for work after graduating college. I am ready to get back into the dating game and this time I'm looking for serious relationships. However, I don't want to live with the man before marriage because I feel like I'll have a whole lifetime (hopefully) to live with him and it'd be nice to have my own space before marriage. Also, I don't want to go through the trouble of dating someone and moving in with them, and then having the relationship not work out. I'm quite stern with this decision and will not be convinced otherwise.

Is it a deterrent for most men if the women they're dating don't want to live together before marriage?

Thanks in advance.

Nope, I think you'll be just fine

Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,429,682 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
To answer the question you posed - it's certainly a deterrent if the person you're with DOES want to live together first!

So explain why, when you say "Also, I don't want to go through the trouble of dating someone and moving in with them, and then having the relationship not work out."? So you'd rather go through the trouble of dating and GETTING MARRIED and THEN have the relationship not work out? That sounds like preserving a relationship that is ripe to break up by waiting to find those things out once you're married. That's certainly up to you though there is not much logic behind it. Since you "will not be convinced otherwise" - what's the point of any of this?

Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,844,764 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Most men? Beats me.

But it would be a deterrent for me, for two reasons.

First, before I commit to spending my life with someone, I'd like to see whether or not we're compatible actually living that life together. Really together. Not just date and see-you-tomorrow together. Together, when the varnish is off, when we're paying bills together and coordinating our lives in the same household. When life is real, not some series of planned engagements before we detach and go back to our own separate lives.

Second, I'd want to know - why? If it's having her own space, instead of getting married a year hence, we could move in together a year hence, and then see if we're a match, and then marry if we think it's going to work. This would allow her the same year of having her own space. The year, of course, is arbitrary - it could be six months or two years or whatever, depending on the relationship and the individuals. If it's because 'it's just not right', then there we have a problem, because that tells me that she has moral ideas that are out of whack with mine. I'd be extremely hesitant to commit to someone who thinks that having a ceremony makes it all right to live together, and it's somehow not all right without that ceremony.

That's me. Of course, there are plenty of men, numerically speaking, who would not have a problem with your stern decision, as you put it. But there would be many who would.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Some people wouldn't have a problem with it, others would.

I just asked my husband, and he says he wouldn't have had a problem with it had I not preferred to move in prior to marriage.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,055 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I would work on finding the right person and work out the details then.

I think you are short sighted for not living together once it's serious....but that's on you. It's not as easy to move out once married and find out its going to work than it is before...and it's a lot easier in the long run to find out before it becomes a legal matter....but your circus....your monkey....and your hill to die on.

Find someone first....then make the decision.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:38 PM

167 posts, read 378,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
To answer the question you posed - it's certainly a deterrent if the person you're with DOES want to live together first!

So explain why, when you say "Also, I don't want to go through the trouble of dating someone and moving in with them, and then having the relationship not work out."? So you'd rather go through the trouble of dating and GETTING MARRIED and THEN have the relationship not work out? That sounds like preserving a relationship that is ripe to break up by waiting to find those things out once you're married. That's certainly up to you though there is not much logic behind it. Since you "will not be convinced otherwise" - what's the point of any of this?
I'm just curious to what others think about living together before marriage. I know what I think, just wondering what others think.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 PM

780 posts, read 680,063 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I felt pretty much the same as you. I love having my own personal space. And yes, I would rather not go through the moving in and moving out if something were to happen. Some people believe that you must live in together to truly know a person. I personally don't think so. I think you have to know their values, how they handle money, how they handle situations when they are frustrated, etc... You can never fully know a person, as people change throughout the years. It's just a matter of paying close attention during the dating years and once you get married, you commit. Well, that's my personal opinion, as I'm sure others disagree.

I'm not a guy, but my ex asked me to move in with him and I said no, he was cool with it (I broke up with him due to other reasons). With my husband, he knew my stance and he was cool with it, then put a ring on it lol

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,458,058 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
That doesn't even make sense. You'd rather go through the trouble of getting married, and then find out it is impossible to live with this person?

Have fun with that.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
What others think about living together before marriage in general?

Or what others think about how likely you'll be able to find a prospective partner that's okay with the choice not to?

If it's the former, for me, I was fine with it. We lived together for all of our engagement. I didn't know we were getting engaged when I agreed to move in; he proposed while I was still in the process of unpacking. We got married about five and a half months and one military move later.

But we both had years and years of solo living and personal space under our belts, by that point. We were no longer adamant about having our own space for those last five months of our unmarried relationship, and were glad to be together, in one another's space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships