Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 9,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Just take the plunge and talk to other people. Don't expect anything, just work on connecting with men or women socially. Flirt with the girls, but don't expect anything. Just get more comfortable. (If you can't say Hi to a girl, you need to start somewhere.)

You play college basketball and have been called handsome by some people, so it's not that.
These don't really mean anything. Society places a lot of value on looks so if someone were to compliment you they would most likely use your looks. Everybody has been called good looking or cute by others. I don't think I am hideous but I know you are judged by your looks. My looks have probably played a role in the way things have gone for me. And most of my teammates have been to jail, or don't even have high school level writing or math skills. Most of them are unprepared for life after basketball. The stereotype of the athlete surrounded by females is like the least true sterotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 7,751,980 times
You need to work on your self esteem and quit over thinking so much.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 AM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontevenknowbro View Post
I don't know I feel like normal people find me weird and I feel like they don't want to talk to me.
Does your CC have a counseling center? If so, go for the free counseling, and see if a counselor can figure out what you're doing wrong. If it doesn't have one, wait until you get to Stanford, and go to their counseling center.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 AM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
These don't really mean anything. Society places a lot of value on looks so if someone were to compliment you they would most likely use your looks. Everybody has been called good looking or cute by others. I don't think I am hideous but I know you are judged by your looks. My looks have probably played a role in the way things have gone for me. And most of my teammates have been to jail, or don't even have high school level writing or math skills. Most of them are unprepared for life after basketball. The stereotype of the athlete surrounded by females is like the least true sterotype.
You're obsessing about looks, even though you said people say you're good-looking, so it's obviously not that. You can't use looks as an excuse, because people have told you you're good-looking. It sounds like you probably need to develop social skills. Get involved in campus clubs or events that don't involve sports. If you're a techie, join the geek club (there will be women geeks there). If you're into writing, attend the poetry or writing open mics. (Women love those!) Find something happening at school or in the community that you can participate in regularly, so you can meet women, and practice getting along with them.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM

29,780 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
I don't know I feel like normal people find me weird and I feel like they don't want to talk to me.
You're projecting a lot of negative feelings from strangers onto yourself. It's highly unlikely that most everyday people you come across are actively thinking you're weird or hating you or avoiding you. Granted, most people out and about are lost in their own thoughts and doing their own thing, but it doesn't mean that you're being judged harshly.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:57 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,856,976 times
Do you have any friends at all?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Do you have any friends at all?
I have had a lot of friend in my life. All of them male. But I don't have trouble making male friends.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:51 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,158,114 times
Quote:
I have had a lot of friend in my life. All of them male. But I don't have trouble making male friends.
A girlfriend is not something you "get."

It's a relationship, just like your male friendships are relationships.

So somehow you were able to form male friendships. Stop thinking about women like creatures on a shelf and start thinking about them as people.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,856,976 times
Quote:
That is a problem .
You cannot connect with females.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
A girlfriend is not something you "get."

It's a relationship, just like your male friendships are relationships.

So somehow you were able to form male friendships. Stop thinking about women like creatures on a shelf and start thinking about them as people.
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
That is a problem .
You cannot connect with females.
Yea no kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships