Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
Sunday I was out on a second date with a very nice woman I met through a dating site. We were biking at a local park and ran across some very good friends of mine- a Gay couple- who I hadn't seen in weeks. I wanted to congratulate them on the recent Supreme Court decision as I knew they were waiting to get married and when I approached them they greeted me as usual, both hugging me and giving me a peck on the cheek. I introduced her to them- she seemed a bit stand-offish and seemed to back away from us a bit and ignore our conversation. We talked probably ten minutes, then it was hugs and a peck on the cheek again and they went their merry way. She looked at me, said "What was THAT all about?" and I just replied that I've known them for ages- since college- and left it at that. Nothing else was said of the matter- in fact she barely spoke to me at all the rest of the day. She has not contacted me since- no emails, no texts, no calls. She never even answered a text I sent her Sunday evening. If/when she does contact me again. what do you say to a person like this?
First, walking around naked in gym locker rooms...now this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 01:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I've been all around this country and I don't know of any area where straight men give pecks on the cheek. Gay men are especially respectful of their straight male friends and no gay male of my acquaintance has ever even tried to pull me into a hug let alone add a peck on the cheek. Straight male friends in mixed company hug in this part of Oregon. Its new to me and I'm not that good at it. Back East, never.

All that said, I don't know that I would shoot the $#!+ with two men of any orientation for 10 minutes while out with a new lady. That alone could have ticked her off. But it is also possible that her gaydar alarm had been going off quietly in her head at the yellow alert level for some time but spiked into full orange alert when the two emissaries of the LGBT community made an appearance.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:09 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It is not done, even by the gay men and women I know.
As a gay man who was born and bred in the Nashville area, I disagree. Two gay men kissing hello or goodbye is quite normal.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Lots of straight dudes hug here, but kissing on the cheek is usually reserved for guys who are family.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM

150 posts, read 172,191 times
You're out on a date. Second date. Save the 10 min conversations with outsiders for the evening.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Ah, Lockergate. One of my favorite threads to date (especially being called a cheating ho' for breastfeeding in the park). It's actually an apt comparison, because many of the people who were horrified by locker room nudity made homophobic comments about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I didn't realize OP had this in his past, but it sure does add A LOT of context to his behavior as described in his "locker room etiquette" thread in the fitness forum:

[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/exercise-fitness/2380332-locker-room-etiquette.html[/URL]

Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
All that said, I don't know that I would shoot the $#!+ with two men of any orientation for 10 minutes while out with a new lady.
I think this probably has more to do with it than anything.

If you time it, 10 minutes is a pretty long time to stand there and chat with someone you run into. She may have just felt left out and thought it was rude, and not even picked up on the gay thing at all. LOL

OP obviously thought it was relevant though!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
As a gay man who was born and bred in the Nashville area, I disagree. Two gay men kissing hello or goodbye is quite normal.
I don't live IN Nashville. That is not my experience where I live.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:03 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
I, too, thought that the issue was probably that the relatively new date was left to get bored for 10 minutes while OP chit-chatted with people she didn't know. That's kind of bad form for a second date. A couple of minutes to catch up with old friends, sure - but make sure to cut it off and show your date that she/he is your priority for the night.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke2611 View Post
You're out on a date. Second date. Save the 10 min conversations with outsiders for the evening.
Yeah, that would turn me off.

The kiss on the cheek isn't a big deal to me and I'm Texan, through and through. While it's not common here, I tend to date foreign men and, without fail, a kiss on the cheek greeting was standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships