Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

You meet a person at a bar who likes how you look and you feel the same about them. You engage in light conversation with them. You agree to a date after some light banter. You go on a date with him and you find out that you disagree on pretty much every issue that is important to you. Lotsa time wasted, ya know?

You go online. On most dating sites you can see political affiliation, major interests, core values, key hangups, etc. 5 minutes later you jump to another likely looking profile if the first doesn't please you. Very little time wasted.

Kapish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 PM

37 posts, read 30,479 times
A deeper connection than what you get just passing by out in a store or out in public. You get to see what is inside a guys/gals head without being influenced by just their outside appearance. Even better when people of either gender treat the other like crap, then see what they look like and become very very embarrassed.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:02 PM

615 posts, read 726,375 times
They don't need to, but it gives them more options. The reason this makes us guys alarmed is because we're afraid women will become even more picky once they figure out that they have more options (basic supply-demand principle in action).

Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 PM

615 posts, read 726,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Edge View Post
A deeper connection than what you get just passing by out in a store or out in public. You get to see what is inside a guys/gals head without being influenced by just their outside appearance.
The problem with your theory is that studies have shown that pics play the most important role in an online dating profile.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
I hate the sigma towards OLD.Not everyone on there is crazy or ugly.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:16 PM

37 posts, read 30,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
The problem with your theory is that studies have shown that pics play the most important role in an online dating profile.
Pictures of the person or pictures of "their life"? You'd never know that just bumping into someone in public. What their pets look like. What are their hobbies, job, any achievements etc? Most guys would approach on her looks and then find out she is a boring/mental witch later after the fact. It's better to make a connection, then find out you are attracted after you know them.

People spill their guts online as well, and let stuff out hidden anonymously they never would in a million years let out in person. Too shy, too embarrassed......not comfortable etc..

Old 07-05-2015, 11:50 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,644,056 times
Its one of many ways to meet people. Why not try them all? What does being attractive have to do with it?

Online dating has the advantage of being able to filter people by interest, religion, values, education etc, so theres less time wasted and you can already start enjoying the things you have in common. Whereas meeting complete strangers in public gives you absolutely no idea of what a person is like, so you waste time getting to know them and eventually you break at the bends because there is no connection or its forced, motivated only by hot bodies.

Basically online dating allows room for more precise picking.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 PM

474 posts, read 384,769 times
To meet me... I hope. :-)

Old 07-06-2015, 03:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I'm making no judgements as everyone is open and free to find happiness wherever that may be. However, I always wondered why certain women who most would deem as attractive would purse online dating as a viable route to meet good, single men. I'd just assume going out and about doing their thing would be enough to meet people to the point that joining a dating site would never even cross their minds. Your opinion...
No attractive women use online dating. It's mostly unattractive men and a few attractive men competing for a bunch of unattractive women.

Is that the answer you were looking for?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,475 times
Well I had gone out on a date with a very well dressed, highly attractive, intelligent, and well to do female who lives in one of the hippest parts of the city whom I had met online. In truth, while conversing with her I couldn't imagine why she needed an online profile, much less stated that she found dating overall to be difficult. I thought she was a real catch. Come to find out that none of her first dates she had met online had ever turned into second dates. Myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships