Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,062 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. It is something I've been battling. I forgot to mention one instance, we had been dating 3 months and we were eating at a local Mexican place. She said she was going to pay and that she needed to use the restroom, I told her I'd go ahead and head out, well I was waiting outside when I see her running out and one of the guys working there behind her saying "You didn't pay, you didn't pay" and grabbed her arm, she pulled out a $20 and threw it at him, he said not to ever come back unsurprisingly. I admit that was when if I were going to leave I should have but I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
So leave now.

She thinks she has it bad because she grew up poor? Just wait until she's in jail for awhile.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:45 PM

389 posts, read 426,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
So leave now.

She thinks she has it bad because she grew up poor? Just wait until she's in jail for awhile.
Exactly, and when she gets out of jail maybe she will PAY for things, like we all have to.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:48 PM

920 posts, read 932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMatt View Post
Thanks everyone. It is something I've been battling. I forgot to mention one instance, we had been dating 3 months and we were eating at a local Mexican place. She said she was going to pay and that she needed to use the restroom, I told her I'd go ahead and head out, well I was waiting outside when I see her running out and one of the guys working there behind her saying "You didn't pay, you didn't pay" and grabbed her arm, she pulled out a $20 and threw it at him, he said not to ever come back unsurprisingly. I admit that was when if I were going to leave I should have but I didn't.
It's like Bonnie and Clyde. As long as you are with her, you could easily be viewed as an accessory to the deed.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:50 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
She's a compulsive shoplifter. It may have less to do with the fact that she didn't have much stuff as a kid than with, possibly, a lack of love and affection from her parents when she was a kid. She can either get therapy for it (there are therapists who specialize in this), or you could decide she might be too much of a liability (what if the cops catch her, and she tries to hide stolen goods in your car, or your pocket, or whatever?)

Your call.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
I have known of CD before but only made an account now because there is an issue I am having but not sure what to do. First off both me and my gf are 28 and have been together 2 years and been living in an apt for a little over 6 months.

But to my main issue is my gf has a very bad habit of stealing things whether they be clothes, underwear or just little trinkets. She has been arrested for stealing multiple times and she has even told me she remembers the first time she stole something was when she was 12. I have talked to her and asked her why and she says it's because all her life growing up she was very poor, hardly had anything, lived in a trailer in a trailer park for her whole life. She doesn't talk about it much but I can tell her up bringing REALLY affected her.

She is amazing in all other ways she does work in retail but doesn't make much, never been to college either. She is very nice an attentive and is a great cook and fun to be around. She never steals real BIG items but like I said she has small items if she thinks she can get away with it. Like the other day we stopped at the gas station and she went in to pay, when she came out as we were leaving she pulled out a lighter and said she swiped it. I kind of just rolled my eyes and said she better be careful or she'll get caught again. But she has gotten very good at stealing and when we first got together she managed to get a collection of stolen undies and such from Victoria's Secret.

I know, I know you all are going to say "Are you crazy what does it matter what her other qualities are she's a borderline kleptomaniac!" but I don't think it's that simple. While I am not justifying her behavior I will say when she does steal she doesn't steal from friends/family or other people just big box stores and the like.

And believe me, I keep good track of what I have so if she ever did steal from me I'd know but I don't believe she ever has.
Borderline?? No.

She IS a kleptomaniac.

It is a huge problem. And your last line is disturbing. Is it all ok as long as she doesn't steal from you???

Old 07-21-2015, 03:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
It's like Bonnie and Clyde. As long as you are with her, you could easily be viewed as an accessory to the deed.
THIS ^^^^

You could end up with a criminal record......FOR LIFE!

And, as another poster mentioned, your children will learn to steal too.

You are putting yourself, and any future children, on a path of lifelong heartache.

Break up with her, there are plenty of nice, honest girls out there.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
You can be charged as a criminal because of her actions as an accessory after the fact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access...e_of_the_crime

Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Get rid of her man.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:53 PM

615 posts, read 666,728 times
Quote:
I have known of CD before but only made an account now because there is an issue I am having but not sure what to do. First off both me and my gf are 28 and have been together 2 years and been living in an apt for a little over 6 months.

But to my main issue is my gf has a very bad habit of stealing things whether they be clothes, underwear or just little trinkets. She has been arrested for stealing multiple times and she has even told me she remembers the first time she stole something was when she was 12. I have talked to her and asked her why and she says it's because all her life growing up she was very poor, hardly had anything, lived in a trailer in a trailer park for her whole life. She doesn't talk about it much but I can tell her up bringing REALLY affected her.

She is amazing in all other ways she does work in retail but doesn't make much, never been to college either. She is very nice an attentive and is a great cook and fun to be around. She never steals real BIG items but like I said she has small items if she thinks she can get away with it. Like the other day we stopped at the gas station and she went in to pay, when she came out as we were leaving she pulled out a lighter and said she swiped it. I kind of just rolled my eyes and said she better be careful or she'll get caught again. But she has gotten very good at stealing and when we first got together she managed to get a collection of stolen undies and such from Victoria's Secret.

I know, I know you all are going to say "Are you crazy what does it matter what her other qualities are she's a borderline kleptomaniac!" but I don't think it's that simple. While I am not justifying her behavior I will say when she does steal she doesn't steal from friends/family or other people just big box stores and the like.

And believe me, I keep good track of what I have so if she ever did steal from me I'd know but I don't believe she ever has.
I'd leave her ASAP because when she gets caught stealing and you are with her, you too will go down even if you didn't steal anything. Try getting a job or a passing background check after that. NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships