Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
WHo is talking about being a spouse? Where did I say that? Im talking about attraction and what men are attracted to. The thread is "Ignored by men my age" not "what is important when choosing a spouse".
I suppose it's possible I am hallucinating, but I believe you said it.

Quote:
Initial attraction is physical ONLY and based in sexuality. 90 some % of men are able to tell if a woman would make a suitable spouse by simply looking at a womans picture.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:57 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Perhaps any woman in her 40"s that is being ingored by men her age in favor of younger women should ask those very same 40 something men that are hanging out with those 20 something girls What do the have that she doesn"t. I am pretty sure they can answer that question very well. Maybe she will find the answer there

Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
An editorial in an pop magazine from an advice columnist is not proof. It isn't even support. That person is not a scientist, or sociologist, or psychologist, or anyone of any merit.

Stop doing the OP and others a disservice.

Here's some hardcore proof that these May-December marriages are not the norm:

In nearly 67% of marriages, the age gap is 5 years or less--and that is just when the man and woman are within 12 months of each other or the man is older. Add in marriages where the woman is 5 or fewer years older than the man, and that figure rises to 76%. This chart comes from Wikipedia, which I am citing only because it's easiest to understand, but if you click on citation 4, it will give you a spreadsheet that breaks it down.

Age disparity in sexual relationships

The bottom line is that while we all like to look at beautiful young people, people tend to marry those they can relate to and who share a common point of reference. The highest odds of that happening are with someone who is within 5 years or so of yourself.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I suppose it's possible I am hallucinating, but I believe you said it.
Yes, to illustrate a point that men can make that decision without even meeting the woman. But i guess you disagree, because you start talking about other traits that are important when choosing a spouse. I dont disagree with you, and your opinion is not in contrast with mine.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:28 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyspruen View Post
I have a question for the older ladies. Do you find that men your age appreciate what you have to offer or are they mostly going for younger women?

I've noticed that I don't get as much attention as I used to. I'm 45. Whenever I see men who are around my age hanging around with girls in their 20s it makes me wonder what they have that I don't.

I believe I have a lot to offer, such as :

Experience
My own house and car
A career
2 kids
Confidence

I'm more well rounded, experienced and confident than these young girls, so why is it that I'm mostly ignored these days? I honestly don't feel that I'm lacking in anything.
As a man who is 44 about to be 45 in a week what you feel you have to offer means nothing to me, what is important is
A. am i attracted to you
B. do we get along
c. do I enjoy your company in large doses.

Now lets translate what you say you have to offer and how it sounds to us.

Experience = baggage

My own house and car = so what happens if we marry or move in together? I am not moving out of my house its paid for.

A career = less time spent together, constantly having to line up schedules.

2 kids = even less one on one time.

Confidence = Bossy or can leave me at a moments notice

Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Initial attraction is physical ONLY and based in sexuality. 90 some % of men are able to tell if a woman would make a suitable spouse by simply looking at a womans picture..
Now we know why the divorce rate tends to be as high as it is.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Here's some hardcore proof that these May-December marriages are not the norm:

In nearly 67% of marriages, the age gap is 5 years or less--and that is just when the man and woman are within 12 months of each other or the man is older. Add in marriages where the woman is 5 or fewer years older than the man, and that figure rises to 76%. This chart comes from Wikipedia, which I am citing only because it's easiest to understand, but if you click on citation 4, it will give you a spreadsheet that breaks it down.

Age disparity in sexual relationships

The bottom line is that while we all like to look at beautiful young people, people tend to marry those they can relate to and who share a common point of reference. The highest odds of that happening are with someone who is within 5 years or so of yourself.
I bet if that chart broke down income or net worth, it would line up much the same, and thats really the issue women have, I had a job once installing alarm systems in a gated community, a very expensive place to live, most of the men living there were late 40s - early 60s most of their wives were mid 20s - mid 30s.
And the handfull of wives that looked to be close to their hubbies age usually had work done.

When women complain that men their age date only date younger women, what they really mean is all the successful men their age only date younger women, so they really need to shut up about it cause it makes them sound materialistic.

cause like your chart shows most men date or marry within 5 years of their age, but we all have gone out and seen the hottest girl in the club in the arms of some guy that looks like her grampa.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
As a man who is 44 about to be 45 in a week what you feel you have to offer means nothing to me, what is important is
A. am i attracted to you
B. do we get along

Experience = baggage

My own house and car = so what happens if we marry or move in together? I am not moving out of my house its paid for.

Ohkayy, so, you prefer mousy and a wallflower to confident, economically dependent and/or golddigger to career (not sure why scheduling would be an issue. It isn't for any of the career women I know), clueless about how relationships work and what it takes to make on work to "experience", and no assets (so she might be eager to clean you out of yours, in the event of divorce) to financially responsible and goal-oriented.

That's good, cyphorx. Good luck to you with those preferences. You'll need it.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I bet if that chart broke down income or net worth, it would line up much the same, and thats really the issue women have, I had a job once installing alarm systems in a gated community, a very expensive place to live, most of the men living there were late 40s - early 60s most of their wives were mid 20s - mid 30s.
And the handfull of wives that looked to be close to their hubbies age usually had work done.

When women complain that men their age date only date younger women, what they really mean is all the successful men their age only date younger women, so they really need to shut up about it cause it makes them sound materialistic.

cause like your chart shows most men date or marry within 5 years of their age, but we all have gone out and seen the hottest girl in the club in the arms of some guy that looks like her grampa.
I don't complain that men my age date only younger women, because men my age approach me.

Do some men my age date younger women? Sure. And my two most significant relationships were with men 7-10 years younger than I am. I made more money than my ex-hub, my ex-SO made more money than I did at the time. What's your point? To speak in inaccurate generalizations?

Bottom line is that I would not be with a man who would be with a much younger woman knowing full well that the only reason she gave him the time of day in the first place is because of his wallet. Men like that possess too much pathos for my taste.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
A. am i attracted to you
B. do we get along

Experience = baggage

You should have stopped with the alphabet, because that much makes sense. If anything, a need for companionship is what drives men at that age to date, from what I can see. How ironic, that right when many women get tired of taking care of other people, compromising, and always having to consider the needs of someone else, many men come to realize that all that time and effort they put into their careers and establishing themselves means nothing if they have no one to share it with.

As for leaving you at a moment's notice, your fear of that sounds really, REALLY bad, like you would rather be with a woman who is so insecure she'll put up with any old crap from you. You may not mean to sound that way, but that's how what you say translates to us. Well, you know, generally the rule is that if you treat a woman as a human being and an equal, you won't have to worry about her dumping you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships