Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM

765 posts, read 987,061 times

Advertisements

With the Ashley Madison Incident plus the way America is in divorces
The rates are going so high
Sounds like I won't consider marriage for a long time unless Im truly in love and so is my partner
Way too many divorce and cheating stories.. i feel like its just the norm now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Sounds like I won't consider marriage for a long time unless Im truly in love and so is my partner
No, it's not.

Check your facts before posting your random threads.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/up...abt=0002&abg=0

Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
I think that should be a givin.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Who is Asley Madison, what incident is she involved with and what does she have to do with divorce anywhere?

The divorce rate rises and falls daily, this is not a life changing news flash.
If you do not want to risk getting divorced then by all means do not get married, that is your choice.
It is also the choice of others to get married even with the risk of divorce being present in every marriage.
The risk of not being together is present whether one is married or not and living together or not.

Just because you do not marry does not mean you will not be without a partner at some point.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:25 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times
I'd say you are smart to not marry unless you are truly in love (and your partner is)... but also be sure in addition to love you are on the same page as far as values, seriousness of the marriage commitment, etc, etc... make sure whoever you marry is more than just a lover, but is also your best friend too (cliche as it sounds). And make sure you really get to know your partner well before making such a big commitment.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Who is Asley Madison, what incident is she involved with and what does she have to do with divorce anywhere?

The divorce rate rises and falls daily, this is not a life changing news flash.
If you do not want to risk getting divorced then by all means do not get married, that is your choice.
It is also the choice of others to get married even with the risk of divorce being present in every marriage.
The risk of not being together is present whether one is married or not and living together or not.

Just because you do not marry does not mean you will not be without a partner at some point.
Ashley Madison is a website that encourages people who are married or people who want to hook up with married people, to meet and have affairs. Supposedly the site got hacked and all of the members of the site are going to be made public unless the site shuts down completely. Thus the rationale being once this information becomes public, more divorces are going to happen.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
If you have a problem with the divorce rates, it seems reasonable to decide you're not going to divorce (within the limitations of the power you have to decide that, anyway).

You can make informed choices in seeking a partner, marry someone who is compatible with you and shares key values and lifestyle preferences, who is emotionally and mentally prepared to make that life choice, with whom you can easily and healthily communicate, who also puts a high value on maintaining and nurturing a lasting marriage, communicating, and shares the level of dedication necessary to make things work. Many couples who divorce don't prioritize making sure these factors are at play, or have rose-colored glasses on (if not straight up denial) regarding whether they or their partners embody these key traits.

Love isn't enough. You can be in love with somebody who personifies NONE of those key traits, and good luck making a marriage work with with somebody who is at his or her core incompatible with you, wants different things out of life, has values incompatible with yours, is emotionally/mentally unhealthy, a poor communicator, and not as invested in making things work as you are. The fact that you love them, or that they love you doesn't trump any of that, in terms of making a marriage last.

Nobody HAS to get married. But it's foolish to be alarmist about how "They all end in divorce, anyway!" (they don't), when you actually have a pretty decent amount of say and control in how you build a strong marriage. Do you have complete control in what unfolds? Of course not. Nobody does. That's the sacrifice of sharing a life with other humans, and being interconnected with their lives...you relinquish total control. There is always risk. But you mitigate a lot of risk by making your life partner decisions thoughtfully.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:40 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,247 times
You claim to be divorced, OP. So you are part of the "problem", right?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM

765 posts, read 987,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
You claim to be divorced, OP. So you are part of the "problem", right?
Yeah I know I am but if I get married again I want the next partner to be truly in love me as well as me.

Especially with that Ashley Madison incident
I figure I have to really keep my guard up with who I will marry one day
As of now the dating continues

Old 07-23-2015, 09:54 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Well, yeah!
That is how it is done.

So, when you were married before, you were not in love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships