Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Oh, look at that, I have a stalker following me around. Im flattered. Im sure youll get a few digital ata boys from the ladies here, youve come to rescue.
I'm not here to pile up atta-boys, or to rescue those that aren't in need of rescue

I'm just here to tell you that your game is weak, your words are as hollow as the skull cavity of a ventriloquist's dummy, and that somebody here ain't afraid to call you on your ongoing Circus O' Nonsense

You are not all that, never have been, never will be, no matter how many scorn-dripping smart-a** comebacks you try to pitifully muster

Real men don't feel the need to dredge up alleged 'man-hating' quotes from 'feminists' to try and make themselves look suave and un-intelligent

'I don't hate on women often...but when I do, I hang out in City-Data Relationships and expose my adolescent insecutirty to the internet...stay ig'nant, my friends'---'The Most Unintersting Man In The World'

Old 07-24-2015, 02:08 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Extremism exists on both sides on this site and those who fall in those camps will never see it.

It is like trying to have a conversation with someone while they are trying to preform on stage to the crowd. They really are not interested in talking they are interested in being heard.
They want to blame everyone else for their problems.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:10 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Thank you for being someone who actually took the time to try and identify what "manliness/masculinity" was to them.

I have had female acquintences of mine often say they want a manly man, but when you question what that means they struggle to define what this means for themselves.

How can you know what you want if you cannot even define what "it" is?

You can't just throw basic concepts and ideals out their and hope to gain anything from it.
I guess I should have just described it as "adulthood" maybe? Those are pretty gender neutral traits. I mean, if a man who was not traditionally masculine exhibited those traits, your female acquaintances would likely be all over them.

My buddy who is a very emotional, yoga-loving guy and adores nothing more than a hot bath with a book and a nice shiraz is like catnip to women. But he is also all of the things I described.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:12 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I'm not here to pile up atta-boys, or to rescue those that aren't in need of rescue

I'm just here to tell you that your game is weak, your words are as hollow as the skull cavity of a ventriloquist's dummy, and that somebody here ain't afraid to call you on your ongoing Circus O' Nonsense

You are not all that, never have been, never will be, no matter how many scorn-dripping smart-a** comebacks you try to pitifully muster

Real men don't feel the need to dredge up alleged 'man-hating' quotes from 'feminists' to try and make themselves look suave and un-intelligent

'I don't hate on women often...but when I do, I hang out in City-Data Relationships and expose my adolescent insecutirty to the internet...stay ig'nant, my friends'---'The Most Unintersting Man In The World'
Thats cool, youre entitled to your opinion.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
As a former literature major, I don't really read feminist theory beyond the classics. I know Dworkin's name vaguely, but I haven't read a word she's written. But still, no need to get your panties in a knot when the pendulum swings the other way for a few decades. Have you ever read the centuries of misogynistic literature that preceded feminism? The "man hate" you're describing is fairly mild by comparison and using what is voiced by a few nut jobs is a poor way to make such sweeping arguments.

For example, as a liberal, I do not use the statements of someone like Rick Santorum to discuss what I disagree with in conservative thought - I use his statements to discuss HIM. He is hardly representative of the mainstream conservative space.

Are you traditionally male since you seem so obsessed with that idea? Can you fix a car, build a house, skin a deer? Have you served in the armed forces? Are you competent? Or are you a suburban guy with a desk job and a college degree from a meh school, no outside interests of note and antiquated notions about women?
Im just a regular guy that knows whatsup. I am more masculine than an average Joe, but not an ultra masculine guy either. I have studied gender dynamics for a very long time, and my opinions are based on more than wishful thinking or making someone else feel better about themselves.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:18 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:

Are you traditionally male since you seem so obsessed with that idea? Can you fix a car, build a house, skin a deer? Have you served in the armed forces? Are you competent? Or are you a suburban guy with a desk job and a college degree from a meh school, no outside interests of note and antiquated notions about women?

I eagerly await his reply, though we already know the (truthful) answers to those questions.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:19 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
I guess I should have just described it as "adulthood" maybe? Those are pretty gender neutral traits. I mean, if a man who was not traditionally masculine exhibited those traits, your female acquaintances would likely be all over them.

My buddy who is a very emotional, yoga-loving guy and adores nothing more than a hot bath with a book and a nice shiraz is like catnip to women. But he is also all of the things I described.
I come away more confused than enlightened from talking with them to be totally honest, so I really couldn't tell you what they feel masculinity is.

Outside of the obvious physical traits the simplest term I could get them to describe what they felt this was is "leadership" or someone who exhibits the qualities of being a leader.

Which in itself may explain why they have such a hard time dissecting what "it" is for them.
what is a leader?

To me that is just a well rounded indivual...which is something I think we ALL want.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:32 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
I come away more confused than enlightened from talking with them to be totally honest, so I really couldn't tell you what they feel masculinity is.

Outside of the obvious physical traits the simplest term I could get them to describe what they felt this was is "leadership" or someone who exhibits the qualities of being a leader.

Which in itself may explain why they have such a hard time dissecting what "it" is for them.
what is a leader?

To me that is just a well rounded indivual...which is something I think we ALL want.
Very true. But you know, I think that harks back to my reference to Jane Austen. The traits in the 1800s espoused as "masculine" traits were really traits that every human being should possess, but they weren't considered important for women then. Yet those traits were necessary for anyone to be a well-rounded person.

Though I suspect my current non-relationship is largely built on physical chemistry and the mutual respect that comes from sharing a "Git 'er done!" mentality. We are both survivors, I guess. That's where the competence issue comes into play.

And now that I have referenced both Jane Austen and Larry The Cable Guy in one City-Data post, I can die happy.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:34 PM

Masculinity is a set of attributes, behaviors and roles generally associated with boys and men. It is a combination of socially-defined and biological factors, distinct from the definition of the male anatomical sex.A masculine man is someone who protects, procreates and provides - 3 P's of manhood.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:51 PM

783 posts, read 849,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Some women are attracted to Justin Beiber and that Twighlight vampire. I can't stand either of these two male sex symbols.
ROFL, someone repped me asking if I was jealous. LOL NO. Justin Beiber and Robert Patt(sp?) aren't what I consider to be manly men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships