Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:23 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Lol, this question is highly subjective.

I've seen plenty of women who think they're attractive and who assume you're trying to flirt, when you're not.... There seems to be no shortage of women with inflated opinions of themselves and a false sense of "hotness".
This is true. Ive had friends that swore guys were interested in them, when it didnt seem like the Guy was at all. Or that thought a man was staring because he was interested and that wasnt the case.

It's really subjective, and a lot of the time the best way to know if a man is truly interested is if they approach you and basically demonstrate their interested. But I also think that if your good at reading men, especially if there is a certain type of man that you notice tends to be attracted to you, then sometimes even the staring or talking to her, might actually be the correct assesment that he's interested.

For example as a black woman, I don't really believe that the average white guy is checking for me when he looks at me. I don't believe that he's interested if he's nice. I don't read into it. But for certain blk men-well it's hard to explain but I can tell when that man might be interested.

And there have been ocassions where I didnt think a guy was interested at all, and would later find out that he was. The truth is that attraction is relative, as is men and women. Some men don't approach because they don't have to-the last two guys I dated always had women approach them so they didn't feel the need to approach a woman unless they were intoxicated or really found her attractive. Other men see something they like and have to approach. Some men watch for cues and if they feel confident enough they approach depending on the women. I don't think a woman that isn't approached often is unattractive nor do I think a woman that is approached all the time is attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:14 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
26 here and quite a bit actually, but it's not because I am " all that", but more that I am pretty much a captive audience. My job as a airline reservations agent has me standing behind a ticket counter dealing with a lot of men traveling on business and such for 8 hours a day. I've probably heard every line in the book. Lol
On the bright side... I have gotten some pretty good dates ( even though it's frowned upon by management).

Last edited by Sydney123; 07-29-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,397,457 times
I don't know where I stand on the attractiveness scale, but I think I clean up nicely, especially when dolled up to go out for the evening with my husband.

I'm never approached during the day when I'm going about my daily business. But being that I'm married with 4 kids, that changes my circumstances. I wear a nice size "stone" my left hand that is hard to miss and/or I have up to 4 kids in tow. When I was younger, I was approached A LOT during my every day activities, but it was always about my height.

There are times when I'm sans kids and done up that men tend to stare/watch me, but I can never tell if it's because I'm so tall. When I go out to clubs/lounges with my husband, men stare, point me out to their friends, shout things, but again I have to assume it's mostly because of my height. I also do my best not to encourage men to approach me. I make it a point not to acknowledge those men, because in the past if I made any eye contact, regardless of how brief it was, I felt like it created an opening for them to approach me at some point during the night.

This past weekend I felt like there was a gentleman trying to get my attention. I could feel him watching me with husband and he made it a point to stand alongside of me for a portion of the night. I wouldn't look his way and kept looking up to the TV on the other side when not talking with or looking at my husband. He eventually moved to my other side. I placed my left hand on my husband's shoulder so he would see the rings. I think some men question whether my husband and I are really a couple because of the height difference when I'm in heels. I sometimes feel like the men are sharks. LOL They circle around you, hoping to catch your glance. Once you give them that, they "attack."

I don't go out to clubs/lounges without my husband, so I don't know what it would be like now, but back when I was single, I was approached often.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's true. A lot of dudes on this board insist that women get hit on every time they leave the house, but it's really not at all unusual for women out living their lives, going to work, going shopping, running errands, working out, etc. not to get actively hit on at all. Maybe they're getting looked at and admired, maybe they're getting catcalled, but it doesn't manifest in any sort of tangible approach or a date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
One of my best friends has a really hot younger sister that I look at as more of a sister as well and I asked her this question.

A lot fewer legitimate approaches than you'd think. She gets a lot of "window shoppers" and people that would say banal or rude things to her as if she'd respond positively to that. But legitimate guys acting like normal guys that wanted to chat her up? More than an ugly girl but not that many. As my friend put it, she would go out with the guys "that had the balls to talk to her."

Agree with both these posts. And the same principle applied to OLD when I did it. Lots of "likes" and "winks" and "pokes" and "favorites," but not a lot of men, relatively speaking, who sent emails expressing genuine interest in getting to know me as a person. Like redguard's friend, I'm willing to go out on a date with a man who, in a sincere and gentlemanly fashion, has the confidence to ask for one. Simple.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-29-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 02:41 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
26 here and quite a bit actually, but it's not because I am " all that", but more that I am pretty much a captive audience. My job as a airline reservations agent has me standing behind a ticket counter dealing with a lot of men traveling on business and such for 8 hours a day. I've probably heard every line in the book. Lol
On the bright side... I have gotten some pretty good dates ( even though it's frowned upon by management).
do you consider yourself hot?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
do you consider yourself hot?
I think I have a certain amount of appeal... Sure. Hot.. I suppose I have my moments when I am thinking.... Hey I look pretty good.
( oh and.. Thanks for throwing me under the bus.... Friend o mine).

Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I think I have a certain amount of appeal... Sure. Hot.. I suppose I have my moments when I am thinking.... Hey I look pretty good.
( oh and.. Thanks for throwing me under the bus.... Friend o mine).
Guess what? You own me something!!!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Guess what? You own me something!!!
Well.... If I do. I'd rather owe it to you than.....cheat you out of it.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,993 times
To be honest, I get starred and asked out a lot more when I'm dressed down with no makeup than when I'm all dolled up. I've never understood this contradiction.

It also depends on the location. When I'm in major cities, it is quite hard for me to remain "invisible". In smaller towns, I don't get hit on that much.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,081 times
My girlfriend's two best friends claim men don't ask them out and they aren't bad looking at all. I guess some of the women on here are right that a lot of women don't have it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships