Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Some cultural norms of yesteryear More conducive to long term relationships?
I'm a man and I say yes 23 46.00%
I'm a woman and I say yes 11 22.00%
I'm a man and I say no 5 10.00%
I'm a woman and I say no 11 22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Basically what you are saying is let's go back to the times when women had less options, so guys can benefit.

Nice.

Why not say let's go back the times when blacks had less options.

It was so much better when everyone knew their "place".

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Oh, and it's "Were" not "Where."
its a show I haven't watched since i was 9 lol I think I did ok considering lol

Old 08-04-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Basically what you are saying is let's go back to the times when women had less options, so guys can benefit.

Nice.

Why not say let's go back the times when blacks had less options.

It was so much better when everyone knew their "place".

Women had options then, they just had consequences based on those options.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
its a show I haven't watched since i was 9 lol I think I did ok considering lol
No. The title of your thread - the word is "Were" not "Where."

Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No. The title of your thread - the word is "Were" not "Where."
your right on both counts

Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Women had options then, they just had consequences based on those options.
What to get married and be under the authority of her husband or stay single and be under the authority of her father. That's like having the options of a poop sandwich or a turd sandwich.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What to get married and be under the authority of her husband or stay single and be under the authority of her father. That's like having the options of a poop sandwich or a turd sandwich.
even then some women still struck out on their own, it was rare but it happened. I guess that was like taking neither the poop nor the turd and just choosing the bread.

Last edited by cyphorx; 08-04-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 09:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Nice.
The big question with all of this is what's in it for women? Why would I, a single, educated homeowner, want to go back to a time when I would have to get married to be socially acceptable, when my educational and career options were limited, when my finances would have be managed by a male relative? Why would I want to do that? Maybe if I didn't know better I could be more accepting of that lifestyle, but if you tried to take away the things that I've earned and achieved to tell me that I had to be satisfied with less, you'd be sadly mistaken.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The big question with all of this is what's in it for women? Why would I, a single, educated homeowner, want to go back to a time when I would have to get married to be socially acceptable, when my educational and career options were limited, when my finances would have be managed by a male relative? Why would I want to do that? Maybe if I didn't know better I could be more accepting of that lifestyle, but if you tried to take away the things that I've earned and achieved to tell me that I had to be satisfied with less, you'd be sadly mistaken.
There were career women back then, there were actresses, writers, outlaws the list goes on.
the difference I was looking at was in mate selection. women who chose careers were just out of the courting pool with few exceptions. people marrying within their social class insured most men had a fair shot at love and happiness.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,405 times
Quote:
There were career women back then, there were actresses, writers, outlaws the list goes on.
the difference I was looking at was in mate selection. women who chose careers were just out of the courting pool with few exceptions. people marrying within their social class insured most men had a fair shot at love and happiness.
I think a lot of it depends on what time frame in the past you are talking about, at what time did this happen that you are mentioning? It almost sounds like you are talking about the Victorian Era, in which case, depending on your class, you may or may not have much say in your mate selection at all and marriage wasn't for love and happiness, it was for business. Or if you did win a woman's heart, you also had to win the heart of her mother and appeal to her father along with other potential suitors. You could be denied marriage to the woman you love (and who loved you) and be forced to settle for someone you didn't.

I think that's what you are overlooking. You have this romanticized view of Victorian times without looking at the negatives many men faced. And men who didn't try to get married were seen as selfish and greedy... you HAD to marry (even if you didn't want to) Where is the happiness in that?

I guess what I am saying is everything has a trade off. Yes, today it might be harder, but you have more freedom and you and your lover can make all your own decisions. Maybe it was easier in yesteryear, but you would be stuck with bad decisions or even decisions that weren't your own (stuck in an arranged marriage your parents forced on you and your bride... to be with till death do you part).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships