Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Some cultural norms of yesteryear More conducive to long term relationships?
I'm a man and I say yes 23 46.00%
I'm a woman and I say yes 11 22.00%
I'm a man and I say no 5 10.00%
I'm a woman and I say no 11 22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Then don't go after those women... they aren't worth it anyway because they are just gold diggers out for themselves. Pursue better quality women and you will do better.
This is pretty much a no-brainer, OP. The number of young women who'd be interested in a geezer with a Lexus is pretty small. I can't imagine how that would even be a factor in your life; the odds are pretty slim that you'd run into even one of those women, let alone have it be a recurring problem, as you seem to be implying that it is. Trust fund babies? Again, there are few of those. How is it that you keep running into these rare types? That's very odd. Is this for real, or are you just putting us on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:59 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,121,133 times
Quote:
What I am referring to (at least in my post about men marrying for money) is when the gentry with titles (but no money) would marry into rich "common" families. It was fairly common after the industrial revolution AKA the Victoria era. In this way, a rich family "bought" a noble title for their family and the poor noble married in to money.

The classes you are talking about didn't marry the rich (or much poorer) to be sure. But there was still competition with others in their class. It's not like any man could marry any woman he wanted to... he still had to win her over and her family as well.
I know what your talking about, some guy who's 8th great grandfather took an arrow to the shoulder meant for the king and was given a chest of gold and a title that was passed on to all descendants, many of those people came to the new world, we call them blue bloods, and yes some would marry down in class when their family wealth finally dried up. (being now cut off from the old country and all) but those were the exceptions not the rule its was only common in the since that it was not unheard of. but the daughter of a poor man with no title almost never married rich.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,121,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is pretty much a no-brainer, OP. The number of young women who'd be interested in a geezer with a Lexus is pretty small. I can't imagine how that would even be a factor in your life; the odds are pretty slim that you'd run into even one of those women, let alone have it be a recurring problem, as you seem to be implying that it is. Trust fund babies? Again, there are few of those. How is it that you keep running into these rare types? That's very odd. Is this for real, or are you just putting us on?
I live in a very materialistic area, The majority of women are all about upward mobility. average joes have a hard time dating here.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
problem is, the majority of them do....
Yes because the majority of women are married to old geezers with a Lexus and trust fund babies and all other men are mate-less. Folks pay no attention to the millions of average middle class and poor couples, its just an illusion.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
Quote:
I live in a very materialistic area, The majority of women are all about upward mobility. average joes have a hard time dating here.
But wait, OP... YOU live in this area, and YOU'RE not materialistic, I presume.

Odds are pretty good that if you're living in this "very materialistic area," despite not being "very materialistic" yourself, so is your female equivalent.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,707,258 times
Quote:
Those women are interested in men similar to them. If you aren't a materialistic person, then go for a woman who isn't materialistic either. Yes there are women (and men) who are all about keeping up with the Jones', but there are just as many who are not interested in it. You need to hang around "those" people (and therefore run into "those" women). I honestly think it's the crowd you are running with (or living around as you are saying).

You might need to do what I am doing and date out of your immediate area. The person I am dating is a lot like me when it comes to values and the way we view the world. We live a good 2 hour's drive apart though. So we don't get to see each other much (just a few times a week), but I will take quality over quantity every time.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But wait, OP... YOU live in this area, and YOU'RE not materialistic, I presume.

Odds are pretty good that if you're living in this "very materialistic area," despite not being "very materialistic" yourself, so is your female equivalent.
Chances are, yes, but not always so. I also live in a materialist "keep up with the Jones'" area, but I don't consider myself materialistic. I drive around in my 10-year-old car in a neighborhood full of BMWs. I dress causally where others are in designer clothes. I can afford these things, but I think it's all a waste of money. I rather save and go on nice trips and have "Experiences" in the world. I live here because it's close to where I work (but I really don't like it here) and some day I will be able to cash in on my home's value (okay, maybe I am a little materialistic in that regard). My point is, it can happen. If the Op *is* what he says he is and not materialistic, he needs to do what I did and widen his search outside his immediate area.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,612,330 times
Hypergamy is a fact of life, not sure why this is even a debate. Not all women are materialistic, but most women prefer to marry up as evidenced by statistics. I dont exactly blame them for it, its part of their makeup - they have the need to make sure there will be resources available for themselves and their future offspring. Lets just not pretend this isnt the case.

Also, with women attending universities at increasingly larger rates than men, and young educated childless women now out earning men in same position, they will soon find themselves in a situation where there is no one to marry up. They already are whining about it all over the place, and im afraid its going to get much much worse as time progresses. You will be forced to marry down or you may as well start buying cathouses. Something tells me that womans happiness levels continue dropping like a rock.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Hypergamy is a fact of life, not sure why this is even a debate. Not all women are materialistic, but most women prefer to marry up as evidenced by statistics. I dont exactly blame them for it, its part of their makeup - they have the need to make sure there will be resources available for themselves and their future offspring. Lets just not pretend this isnt the case.

Also, with women attending universities at increasingly larger rates than men, and young educated childless women now out earning men in same position, they will soon find themselves in a situation where there is no one to marry up. They already are whining about it all over the place, and im afraid its going to get much much worse as time progresses. You will be forced to marry down or you may as well start buying cathouses. Something tells me that womans happiness levels continue dropping like a rock.
I've seen the studies too and I don't argue with you that overall, women's happiness is dropping. But I have to wonder... if women are so unhappy, why does it seem like on the internet there are so many more unhappy men? LOL (I had to ask, seems like every other thread here is started by an angry, frustrated young man).

But in all seriousness, those studies about women being unhappy are linked to work more so than family life/marriage/finding a man. There is a direct correlation between doing more paid work and reported unhappiness. The converse is true for men. They are doing less paid work now than in the 70s and are happier than 40 years ago. It just seems like the more you work, the lass happy you are (for most people... some people enjoy their work).

Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
Quote:
Chances are, yes, but not always so. I also live in a materialist "keep up with the Jones'" area, but I don't consider myself materialistic. I drive around in my 10-year-old car in a neighborhood full of BMWs. I dress causally where others are in designer clothes. I can afford these things, but I think it's all a waste of money. I rather save and go on nice trips and have "Experiences" in the world. I live here because it's close to where I work (but I really don't like it here) and some day I will be able to cash in on my home's value (okay, maybe I am a little materialistic in that regard). My point is, it can happen. If the Op *is* what he says he is and not materialistic, he needs to do what I did and widen his search outside his immediate area.
I'm sorry, I just don't buy that he is the *only* nonmaterialistic person in the area.

I think it's muuuuuuch more likely that he's not particularly interested in dating his equivalent, and is going for a different breed, altogether, if every single woman that he approaches is a materialistic *****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships