Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 PM

291 posts, read 273,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
His comment was spot on to me. I'm not sure what any of those things have to with what he said.
They have to do with people being placed into situations that they did not seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post
They have to do with people being placed into situations that they did not seek.
Yeah those were not voluntary endeavors like dating, let alone choosing who to date. How can you compare such things?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 PM

291 posts, read 273,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Yeah those were not voluntary endeavors
Precisely. And neither is dating in the current state of social affairs.

People don't go on dates with people that suck because they want to be around people that suck.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I'm at the point in my life where I'm starting to feel old-fashioned when it comes to dating.

Scary.

I still go into dating situations wanting to get to know the guy. I'm not just thinking about sex, if at all. But more and more today it just seems like a big game. Nobody cares about honesty or connection. They don't want to discuss feelings or develop anything meaningful. They want to have sex. And that's it.

And then there's the element of, "The person who cares the least has the most power". It's like people try to make each other dependent on them, rather than risk being vulnerable so that they can actually build a real relationship.

Do people only care about "winning" these days?
I am like you and I am a guy. I probably want intimacy quicker than you but not right away just not 6 dates or more lol.

Seriously if you read my thread keeping it real I am getting to know these women I am dating in the first couple of dates. We are having real conversations about real stuff not scripted or acting which made all of the dates fun/pleasant. We talk about our day, what's going on, being vulnerable and opening up a bit because...........that's what I am asking for in my profile real people.

I enjoy sex as much as anyone but it's more special when you have a connection with someone.

I think you should be more specific in what you are looking for in your profile and you will probably have better results.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
You often have good things to say, but this is not one of them.

See: slavery, holocaust, 9/11, etc.
Taken out of context a bit

Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
I don't think that most people in most situations are outright callously manipulative, or ruled by sinister motive to outmaneuver. But people have indeed become more guarded and less amenable to cooperative behavior until the other party has demonstrated sufficient trustworthiness. Of course, both parties are doing the same. Thus dating can become a diplomatic negotiation. And because some people are dating multiple prospects simultaneously, one can never be sure that one's candidate partner's affection is undivided. We become mired in doubt, second-guessing ourselves… which of course shows, and triggers commensurate doubt in the other party… and so forth, in a vicious cycle.

Often one wonders: isn't there a simpler way? And probably there is… but not without surrendering so many of the pivotal attributes of modern life.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:17 PM

914 posts, read 766,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I'm at the point in my life where I'm starting to feel old-fashioned when it comes to dating.

Scary.

I still go into dating situations wanting to get to know the guy. I'm not just thinking about sex, if at all. But more and more today it just seems like a big game. Nobody cares about honesty or connection. They don't want to discuss feelings or develop anything meaningful. They want to have sex. And that's it.

And then there's the element of, "The person who cares the least has the most power". It's like people try to make each other dependent on them, rather than risk being vulnerable so that they can actually build a real relationship.

Do people only care about "winning" these days?
Yes

Old 08-07-2015, 04:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
You often have good things to say, but this is not one of them.

See: slavery, holocaust, 9/11, etc.

Just wow...

That's about all I have to say

Old 08-08-2015, 02:35 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I don't think that most people in most situations are outright callously manipulative, or ruled by sinister motive to outmaneuver. But people have indeed become more guarded and less amenable to cooperative behavior until the other party has demonstrated sufficient trustworthiness. Of course, both parties are doing the same. Thus dating can become a diplomatic negotiation. And because some people are dating multiple prospects simultaneously, one can never be sure that one's candidate partner's affection is undivided. We become mired in doubt, second-guessing ourselves… which of course shows, and triggers commensurate doubt in the other party… and so forth, in a vicious cycle.
I think that people are afraid of getting their hearts stomped on. Natural. But it's to the point where no one will make themselves vulnerable, for that reason. They cling to being aloof because they think it's sexy. And yes, some of that will build attraction in the beginning. But that does not provide the foundation for a solid relationship.

Myself, I never wanted to become a selfish b*tch, but it seems like that's what guys respect these days.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
OP-I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Yes, men want to have sex. Men don't want to go on a bunch of first dates with a bunch of women that don't lead anywhere. Men want to know that you are physically attracted to them and not wasting their time and money. But at the same time, I think that most men will respect a woman that won't go to bed with them right away if she's at least displaying some signs of interest in eventually escalating the relationship to sex.

Perhaps you are not letting men know that you are sexually available and they are disinterested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships