Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh, modeling is a critical step of teaching children. Years of watching a parent (or both parents) not pitch in sets a certain example.
Absolutely, but if one parent is less than cooperative (or truly is working so hard that s/he does not have the wherewithal), you've got to be prepared to work around that. The old "Well, Daddy doesn't put away his ____," doesn't fly with me. They've got two options: pick up your mess/take care of your chores... or pay me to do it; my fee schedule is fair, and appear as itemized deductions from their allowance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Absolutely, but if one parent is less than cooperative (or truly is working so hard that s/he does not have the wherewithal), you've got to be prepared to work around that. The old "Well, Daddy doesn't put away his ____," doesn't fly with me. They've got two options: pick up your mess/take care of your chores... or pay me to do it; my fee schedule is fair, and appear as itemized deductions from their allowance.
"I'm not the boss of Daddy, I'm the boss of you" works on mine.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I really don't understand this conceptually. If a person is working too many hours to pick up after themselves, they should be working too much to make a mess at all.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:49 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I really don't understand this conceptually. If a person is working too many hours to pick up after themselves, they should be working too much to make a mess at all.
LOL, good point. When I work late or have a week or more of working late... the only "mess" I make is laundry. And how hard is it to put my shirts or socks or whatever in the laundry basket vs the floor... same effort.

When things are slow at work and I am not working a lot, I make more of a mess and clean it up more.

I live alone... and I work a lot. I manage to pick up after myself. It's not too hard.

Now to be fair, I do hire a maid weekly for things like the deep cleaning, cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming, etc... but just day-to-day picking up, cleaning up my dishes, wiping the counter after I cook, doing my laundry... somehow I manage and I think any adult is capable of picking up after him- or herself too. Heck, I also manage to cook myself dinner, walk the dog, shower, work out, etc.

And, if like Timber says if a person has enough time to make a mess, well, then they aren't working so much that they can't clean it up either.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My go-to line is "When you start commuting 1.5 hours each way and support my freeloading ass, I'll start picking up after you, too."

Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 AM

676 posts, read 726,157 times
what i do is my wife cleans n cooks during the week and I get the weekends to give her a break. seems to work alright

Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post

A.) Learn to live with it being messy.
B.) Get used to cleaning everything yourself.
C.) Consider separating and in the future when you start dating again, make sure the guys have your same standards with cleanness and household maintenance.
This is pretty accurate.

When you live with somebody, you can either accept what their habits mean for you, ask them to consider changing their habits (without expecting that they will necessarily do so, anymore than you are likely to significantly change YOUR habits to suit THEIR preferences, or not accept their habits and remove yourself from the situation.

Knowing and being honest about what you can and can't live with, prior to setting up house with somebody, is pretty key in determining long-term happiness. Expecting people to significantly change behaviorally for you is typically pretty unrealistic.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It doesn't take a whole lot of time or attention to just drop your **** wherever you happen to land. It does take time and attention to pick said **** up and put it where it goes.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It doesn't take a whole lot of time or attention to just drop your **** wherever you happen to land. It does take time and attention to pick said **** up and put it where it goes.

It doesn't take any time or attention to just drop it where it belongs in the first place. That would save time in having to put it away. Common sense, really.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Around here it's something along the lines of "awesome, you'll be paying the mortgage and bills this month, then I'll cut you a little slack. Oh, and the wasp nests need to be cleaned from the 2nd story."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships