Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:00 PM

221 posts, read 318,171 times

Advertisements

While currently dealing with my first ever breakup (as a woman), I have found myself curious as to how guys get over breakups.

I have found the stereotypical ways of dealing for girls hold very true (at least for me). Eating lots of ice cream, crying, listening to sad/sappy/depressing music, a LOT of lengthy conversations with girlfriends.

In my mind, stereotypical ways for guys to deal would be going out with friends and hooking up with random girls.

Am I way off-base? I know everyone deals differently, but what are some things that guys do to help get over a breakup (especially a longer-term/more meaningful one)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 PM

388 posts, read 382,974 times
Everyone is different, just as every relationship breakup is different. I see guys going out and hooking up to be more common amongst the younger generation.

So the answer to your question is check on social media. They give some clues although not the full picture

Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM

220 posts, read 174,579 times
Read my other threads and see how well I took my breakup. Not great haha but I'm moving in the right direction.

I didn't talk about it too much with my friends. I don't think we open to each other as much as girls.

I did however do a lot of personal grieving.

I feel for you OP; time heals all wounds.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:20 PM

709 posts, read 766,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
While currently dealing with my first ever breakup (as a woman), I have found myself curious as to how guys get over breakups.

I have found the stereotypical ways of dealing for girls hold very true (at least for me). Eating lots of ice cream, crying, listening to sad/sappy/depressing music, a LOT of lengthy conversations with girlfriends.

In my mind, stereotypical ways for guys to deal would be going out with friends and hooking up with random girls.

Am I way off-base? I know everyone deals differently, but what are some things that guys do to help get over a breakup (especially a longer-term/more meaningful one)?
You nailed it. People are cliches.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 PM

151 posts, read 159,469 times
Egging her house.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
In the wakes of my past breakups, I literally just threw myself into my work. Were the breakups painful? Hell YEAH!!! But I just kept busy with my work and my hobbies to keep the pain from flowing over.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM

388 posts, read 382,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostandhurt View Post

I did however do a lot of personal grieving.

I feel for you OP; time heals all wounds.
If it helps to know, guys can be more emotional than girls. They just won't show it as much. some will pretend nothing happened, so no one knows. Personal grieving is longest for a meaningful relationship breakup

Old 09-27-2015, 10:54 PM

138 posts, read 92,216 times
Quote:

Going out and hooking up with random women would be the last thing I would do.

I go the opposite and engage in interests, knowledge, friends and a career that no women are present at all. Remind yourself that they could never "do this" stuff. Their new man most likely can't either. I've got a lot of proof that says he can't......

Some hangs on my wall!

Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 AM

195 posts, read 139,318 times
We never really forget. Ever. Especially if she was one of a kind and we knew we messed up. We try to numb the pain with other girls, alcohol, parties, sports, and video games but none of it works in the end.

This is assuming it was a hard breakup. Guys are emotional too.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:

While you're right about the cliche method for men, a lot of women are GROSSLY misinformed on how easy/difficult it is for men to "go out with friends and hook up with random girls". More often that not, that strategy results in "go out with friends and get drunk while friends encourage you to hook up with random girls".

As for the guys I know? Some of the above. Some other things that usually involve drinking. I like to either travel or take up new hobbies. Some people lose themselves in their work. I think the common link is "keeping the mind busy", regardless of gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosk8er View Post
Egging her house.
Ahh, middle school love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships