Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM

142 posts, read 432,491 times

Advertisements

Wow, it's been more than a year since I last posted on this forum! I've gotten some solid relationship advice here, in the past. Now, after a year of being happily single, I'm once again in a dating quandary. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post; I know I can be verbose. But here it goes...

About 10-12 years ago, while I was in college, I ran into myhigh school crush at a bar one night, while home for the summer. We started dating, and quickly fell in love(our first, for both of us), so we decided to try an LDR while I finished school. (My hometown is in Wisconsin, butI was going to college in Chicago, IL ).

We stayed together for 3 years, and I moved home for awhileafter graduation to be with him. But ultimately, our lives were going indifferent directions. I couldn’t find ajob in my field in our smallish hometown, and I missed living in Chicago. He already had a good job, and was saving tobuy a house, so he wanted to stay put. Eventually, we broke up, and I moved back to Chicago permanently. It was tough at the time, but we remained onfriendly and respectful terms, and both moved on with our separate lives.

We’ve been friends on FB for about 7-8 years, but haven’thad much contact (other than “liking” posts or the occasionally, “Hey, how’s life treating you?” message) until recently. I’d been in a LTR, and until recently so he was, so we respectfully kept our distance. A couple months ago, I noticed that he’d changed his FB profile picture… and he looked really good. He’s athletic and into fitness, and takes great care of himself. So, just to be friendly, I made a commentthat he was “like wine and cheese, getting better with age." The next day, he messaged me, and we startedup a fun, somewhat flirtatious conversation for about 10-15 minutes. Turns out, he’s single again, as am I.

We exchanged phone numbers, and he called me later in the week. We ended up talking on the phone for 2+hours. Once we got to talking, it waslike 10 minutes had passed since we last saw one another, rather than 10years. We still have so manycommonalities, and he can still make me laugh until my stomach hurts. It was wonderful to reconnect, and I washappy to have him back in my life, even as just a friend.

The middle of the following week, he sent me a text messageasking me what I was doing that weekend. I made a joke about doing my laundry and cleaning my bathroom, then he asked me (seriously) how I would feel if he came down to Chicago that weekendto visit me. Of course, I was thrilled, and told him I’d love to see him, so we talked on the phone again that night, and made plans for his visit that weekend.

He came down, and we had a wonderful time together. I took him around Chicago, and he seemed to truly enjoy it, but I could tell he’s not a “city boy,” and was somewhat overwhelmed by the size and pace of the city. Just the same, it was a great weekend. Things did get romantic between us, but we didn’t discuss “getting back together.”

We kept in touch after that, talking on the phone, plus anoccasional text message. (He let me know he doesn’t care much for texting because he thinks it’s impersonal, and he’s a lousy typist.) The following month, I decided to go up to Wisconsin for the weekend. Mainly because my mom got a new apartment, and I was going to help hermove, but of course I contacted him to let him know I’d be there. We made plans to get together on the Saturday evening I was in town.

That weekend, I met him at his house. (He’d bought a home shortly after we broke up 10 years ago, and I’d never seen it.) Then, he surprised me by taking me out for a romantic dinner at an upscale sushi restaurant. We spent the evening walking around my hometown’s downtown area, holding hands and kissing,and went to the bar where we met 12 years ago, to have a drink and finish the night. Once again, we had an amazing time.

I headed back to Chicago the next day, but let him know I’d be back for Thanksgiving, so we could see each other again. He seemed enthusiastic about it at the time,however since then, he seems to have “pulled away” from me, somewhat. We’ve only talked on the phone once, and hada couple of short text-message conversations. He admitted he’s been having some emotional/depression issues due to the change in season. I’ve been working 50+ hours a week, and haven’t been feeling too great myself, so I kind of let it go, at first.

He told me he was taking the week of Thanksgiving off work. However, I found out that my Mom is required to work on Thanksgiving Day and the day afterwards, so I was debating whether to stay in Chicago and do Thanksgiving with friends instead. I told him I’d let him know for sure ASAP. I decided to spend Thanksgiving Day with my best friend’s family, then drive to Wisconsin the next afternoon and spend the weekend at home. I booked my rental car, and texted him my plans. I said “Let me know if you’re free Saturday night!” But I never got a response from him…

Now, I’m feeling weird about the whole situation. I’d been contemplating discussing the possibility of another long-distance relationship with him, with the understanding that it may mean I’d leave Chicago and move home, if it works out. However, I haven’t actually talked to him in 10 days, since the last time we spoke on the phone. Yesterday, I posted an article on FB about healthy eating and meal-prepping, and he commented on it, but that’s been his only “contact” with me.

It bothers me that he’s suddenly pulling away, and now I’m wondering if I should just let things go. I’ve been thinking a LOT about my newfound involvement with him, and how it would impact my life. I don’t want to believe that he’d have been so romantic and enthusiastic about me – or even want to reconnect at all – if I meant nothing to him. Having known him since we were teenagers, I know he’s NOT a douchebag or player at all, so Ir eally don’t understand his sudden distance and lack of response toward me.

With Thanksgiving coming up this weekend, I’m worried about what to do. ]I already let him know when I’d be in town, and didn’t get a response from him. Should I contact him again, or just let it go? I have strong feelings for this guy,but the long-distance situation complicates things, and I’m not sure what’s going on in his head when it comes to me. Any advice is appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Last edited by oakparkV; 11-23-2015 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: weird formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Did you read TOS at all? It is against TOS to have duplicate threads on this forum.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:16 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,542,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Did you read TOS at all? It is against TOS to have duplicate threads on this forum.
Can't Believe you went through all that LOL .

Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 AM

142 posts, read 432,491 times
I didn't mean to do a duplicate post... I was trying to fix the formatting. It should be ok now. Sorry!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
It seems like you're just casually dating right now, why get ahead of yourself?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,967,928 times
Did you sleep with him?

WHAT? It's a legit question.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 PM

565 posts, read 433,455 times
In my humble opinion, there is really no such thing as Long Distance Relationship. You can pretend that what you have is unique, but many people before learned it the hard way that the distance makes commitment impossible, unless its brief.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
Give him a chance to express what he'd like to do. Unless one of you moves closer, things will fade.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,904,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Did you sleep with him?

WHAT? It's a legit question.
Are you on BC OP?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,015,367 times
Long distance is so difficult. Unless you plan to move back home for yourself, it's a tough call. You said you couldn't find a job in your hometown - how would you handle that? Would you even be happy there seeing as you said you missed Chicago at one point?

There's more to it than this guy being into you. I feel for you. I was in a similar position a few years back. No fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships