Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you change your work schedule to spend time with your bf/gf?
Yes 5 33.33%
No 10 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:18 PM

199 posts, read 294,626 times

Advertisements

Okay so I posted a thread on work and employment and seeking something like a 9 to 5 job in my profession because the only time off my boyfriend has is on the weekends and I just quit jobs that constantly interrupted me on the weekends while on a date. It was insane as not only did they kept harassin me to constantly work weekends but it be hard to do that since thats the only time I get to rest and see my boyfriend.

And someone mention that a boyfriend gets in the way of a career
I am an admin assistant.

I would say I like my job my pay is typically pretty average its not high but it pays the bills enough and gives me money to spoil my boyfriend. But now im looking for a job that's 9 to 5 because any other hours would not give me a chance to ever see my bf especially on the weekends since my old job doesn't respect personal time off.

But I want to ask the people here on the Relationship forum how people here would change jobs/careers to something 9 to 5 to spend quality time with their bf/gf if the only time off they have is the weekend or something similar like change work schedules to match theirs?

It is important to spend time with your bf/gf to develop the relationship ( dates, communication, sex, personal time together etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Okay so I posted a thread on work and employment and seeking something like a 9 to 5 job in my profession because the only time off my boyfriend has is on the weekends and quit jobs that constantly interrupted me on the weekends while on a date.
I am an admin assistant.

I would say I like my job my pay is typically pretty average its not high but it pays the bills enough and gives me money to spoil my boyfriend. But now im looking for a job that's 9 to 5 because any other hours would not give me a chance to ever see my bf especially on the weekends since my old job doesn't respect personal time off.

But I want to ask the people here on the Relationship forum how people here would change jobs/careers to something 9 to 5 to spend quality time with their bf/gf if the only time off they have is the weekend or something similar like change work schedules to match theirs?

It is important to spend time with your bf/gf to develop the relationship ( dates, communication, sex, personal time together etc)
I think, its very important. If you don't have quality time to spend with someone, why be in a relationship?

This is the very reason I don't currently have a girlfriend; I just don't have time/it wouldn't be fair. Unless, I can find a woman that's willing to date me on Sunday- between the hours of 6pm-9pm.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Okay so I posted a thread on work and employment and seeking something like a 9 to 5 job in my profession because the only time off my boyfriend has is on the weekends and I just quit jobs that constantly interrupted me on the weekends while on a date. It was insane as not only did they kept harassin me to constantly work weekends but it be hard to do that since thats the only time I get to rest and see my boyfriend.

I am an admin assistant.

If you get the opportunity to work hours that suit both of you, then I don't see why not. Alternatively could you negotiate to have every other weekend off with your employer?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:40 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,804 times
Choose the job you want to take. Don't make such important decision based on someone else because people are flaky and you might end up regretting your choice. Follow your intuition regarding the job in itself, not your boyfriend's schedule. Career choices should never be mixed with relationships.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,801 times
my question to you is this - what is he doing to accommodate? I've seen two posts from you stating you want the money to "spoil your boyfriend" which is fine if that goes both ways. I've been with my SO for 15 years and early on we had very different schedules but we saw each other when we could. We spent a lot of time on the phone and such and it actually helped us grow closer.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times
why the hell is an admin assistant on call, let alone being harassed on the weekends??
I have work with secretaries/admin assistants for a LONG time and have never heard of this

if this is NOT in your job description, STOP answering the phone on the weekends when they call...are you REQUIRED to work weekends??

It seems to me it should be very easy to find an 9-5 (8-5 or even 7-5 might be more likely) admin assistant job where they do NOT bug you on the weekends...

what is so damn pressing...

Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 PM

583 posts, read 712,704 times
Default Hell no.

No. Find the job you desire and whoever is meant to be incorporated in your life, will be, eventually. It's just the way it is.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:10 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Absolutely (and that's what I was actually doing most of my life)!
I work to live, not live to work. A quality time off work is very important to me, and being not money hungry or a spender - albeit I do have a well paid job - helps a lot too. I take long vacation, I take long weekends off. Long work hours and slaving for money isn't a goal of my life. There is so much more to do with the time, besides working. Less working hours means having more time for SO, doing interesting things, exploring the world...
Life should be balanced. Sadly, for most Americans it remains a foreign concept.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:19 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
No. Find the job you desire and whoever is meant to be incorporated in your life, will be, eventually. It's just the way it is.
That right there.

I enjoy my job. I like the money. I love my lifestyle. Anyone that is to be in my life, would have to fit my lifestyle. I wouldn't be happy if I had to jump through hoops to be with someone.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
Probably easiest to date someone who has similar times off as you do so that you can spend time together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships