Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 11:57 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
in all honesty...how big can a food truck business really go? Is it realistic to think he will ever be able to HIRE help?
Is it probable he will one day become big enough to get a bigger truck, thus serve more people??
Depends on the location, demand, and quality of food. Food trucks have gone well beyond just serving crap in a lot of parts of the country. One in my former hometown started in 2013 and has expanded to 3 trucks, a sit down restaurant, and a catering division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 12:03 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
in all honesty...how big can a food truck business really go?
Look up Salt and Straw. They started as a gourmet ice cream push cart here in Portland. They now have a food cart, three brick and mortar stores in the area, one in L.A. and are available on the campuses of seven area businesses.

It can go as big or as small as your ambition takes it.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:55 PM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkledove View Post
Like he said I wouldn't have to work and that he was just going to sell ice cream so the truck wouldn't be year round. He said he wanted a family just as much as I did
OP, did you discuss a budget and how this would be financially attainable?

You've been married for less than a year and you're young, you have plenty of time to start that family. Since you're unhappy with how things are now, that's even more reason to wait until you've worked through your issues before baby comes along.

Quote:
The hours are that we wake up at 4 am and leave the house by 4:30. Back when it was just ice cream it was longer BC he had to mix the stuff and we had to carry the milk and some of that stuff weighs a ton and is hard to carry. Then we had certain places he had to be BC with his truck he actually has aset schedule so that customers can find him and they look on fb to see where he is. So even when it's slow we have to be here.
Being a small business owner (especially one in it's early stages) is a very hard task. Several of my family members are small business owners - the work is hard, the hours are long, and the stress is great.

A lot of folks think it's easy to just hire someone to help but the business has to grow enough to support two salaries in addition to making a profit and that can take some time.

Quote:
I'm not lazy but I wasn't planning on working BC I thought we were going to focus on starting a family and he acted Like he wanted the same things.
I have the strongest reaction to this part. OP, if you follow this plan, you will be fully dependent on your husband. If the marriage doesn't work out or if something were to happen to your husband, you would have no means or skills of supporting yourself or your (future) children.

Use this time now, before babies come, to gain some real life skills. By being a fully involved partner in your husband's business and learning how to run it - not just the front end of things but the back end as well. If that's not what you want (and it's understandable if not), then take some college courses or get a full-time job.

This notion of going directly from graduating high school (dependent on your parents' support) to being a stay-at-home wife (dependent on your husband's support) is a mistake. I'd hate to see you "stuck" because you don't have the knowledge or skills to support yourself.

FWIW, I am curious as to the age difference between OP and her husband. It's clear to me they are at different stages of their lives.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Regardless of how the OP feel about working.

It appears she is trying to start a family without a foundation, the foundation doesn't just at involve a willing sex partner it needs a support system that can give and maintain the future you are trying to achieve.

You dont seem to have yourself in any place to be considering bringing kids in to the picture as a real possibility at the moment.

The question you should be asking yourself isn't why is my husband making me work (I think it's pretty clear why your help is needed) it's how am I going to set up my future and set the foundation in place for the things I want from life?

How you decide to answer this question "should" be determining the path you seek in life.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,445 times
Hi it keeps taking me a while to read the posts. Ty to everyone helping me

Well honestly we never talked about finances very much before we got married. This is actually his second career. He has a college degree and stuff but the started off in advertising and did that for eight years. Then he left that job and had savings then worked in and out of food places trying to learn how to craft his own iuce cream and sweets. He's actually 31. We met on OKC and dated for 8 months before we got engaged and married

As far as money goes I think I can afford to stay home. What's funny is that he told me he wanted kids right away since it was something he always wanted and he was envious if all his friends who had that. But now he barely seems to be pushing for it. We talk about it but suddenly its not a rush. I mean when we got together he promised he would take care of me and also promised my family he would to and i don't feel taken care of. Also he's not as affectionate either which bothers me and the truck and business gwets most of the attention and I don't really anymore.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:

Well honestly we never talked about finances very much before we got married. This is actually his second career. He has a college degree and stuff but the started off in advertising and did that for eight years. Then he left that job and had savings then worked in and out of food places trying to learn how to craft his own iuce cream and sweets. He's actually 31. We met on OKC and dated for 8 months before we got engaged and married

As far as money goes I think I can afford to stay home. What's funny is that he told me he wanted kids right away since it was something he always wanted and he was envious if all his friends who had that. But now he barely seems to be pushing for it. We talk about it but suddenly its not a rush. I mean when we got together he promised he would take care of me and also promised my family he would to and i don't feel taken care of. Also he's not as affectionate either which bothers me and the truck and business gwets most of the attention and I don't really anymore.
I don't really think you are mature enough to understand what being a grown up is like. You just graduated from high school. Why on earth did you get married? And why on earth would you want to start having children when you are still a child yourself? Do you want to be married? He is your husband and partner - not your father. It sounds like you just wanted to keep being a child and have someone to continue to take care of you. That's not what being a grown up is all about. That's not what being a wife and partner is all about.

Have you thought about getting divorced and just starting your life over? This just doesn't make any sense. Did you even think about what a marriage was all about before you rushed into it?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:

It was a mistake not to talk finances before marriage. Money issues are a big contributor to marriages failing.

I think it is very admirable to want to be a stay-at-home wife. I would love to have a stay-at-home wife. I'd love a situation where I could just focus on work and never have to deal with running a household on top of being an income earner. Besides, being a full time household manager partner is way more fulfilling than working full time, then coming home to do a half hearted job running a household due to lack of energy work. If you were able to run a household, you'd also have enough time to go to the gym and get your workouts in during the day and then have a meal prepped for him when he gets home from work and/or slip into something sexy and start having sex when he gets home. That sounds good to me. Also, as a 19 year old, you should realize that being a full time household manager who is supported by a working spouse is probably easier than working a retail/restaurant/hospitality job or being a full time college student who is on a career track.

You may want to elaborate more on what you can offer him as a stay-at-home wife and why the route he's going right now is just causing more problems than it's worth. The going back to work in advertising route is probably a better route for the long term viability of your marriage.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:56 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
You were too young to get married in the first place. Yikes.

Your husband started a new business. Time to be an adult and support him. You wanted the adult life but now you want to quit work and go have fun. That's what happens when you try to grow up too fast.

I know plenty of people who got married young, but they knew what it was and worked at it. They didn't whine because they had to work or their husbands had to work. You knew what this was going in.
Preach & Proceed. Some women want the benefits, but not the work that comes in order to get them. Be a wife and dig in the trenches with your husband.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:43 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't really think you are mature enough to understand what being a grown up is like. You just graduated from high school. Why on earth did you get married? And why on earth would you want to start having children when you are still a child yourself? Do you want to be married? He is your husband and partner - not your father. It sounds like you just wanted to keep being a child and have someone to continue to take care of you. That's not what being a grown up is all about. That's not what being a wife and partner is all about.

Have you thought about getting divorced and just starting your life over? This just doesn't make any sense. Did you even think about what a marriage was all about before you rushed into it?
I don't think it's fair that everyone is jumping on the OP for being a child and not knowing what marriage is like.

She's 19 - she is a child. And no one knows what marriage is like until they get married. I darn sure didn't.

I'm going to stereotype here.

The OP wanted a sugar daddy. A 19 year old marries a 31 year old expecting him to take care of her?
They met online? They barely knew each other - only eight months beforehand? Yep.

OP,

Him telling your family he would take care of you did not mean that he would do all of the work. It (hopefully) meant that he would support you emotionally and be a good husband.

What is your definition of "taken care of?".

Old 11-14-2015, 12:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I don't think it's fair that everyone is jumping on the OP for being a child and not knowing what marriage is like.

She's 19 - she is a child. And no one knows what marriage is like until they get married. I darn sure didn't.

I'm going to stereotype here.

The OP wanted a sugar daddy. A 19 year old marries a 31 year old expecting him to take care of her?
They met online? They barely knew each other - only eight months beforehand? Yep.

OP,

Him telling your family he would take care of you did not mean that he would do all of the work. It (hopefully) meant that he would support you emotionally and be a good husband.

What is your definition of "taken care of?".
I wasn't calling her a child in a derogatory way. I was calling her a child because she is a child - like you said. I don't understand how her husband, being 31, thought that this was a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships