Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 01:56 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
They have the ability to go out all the time, because they likely lack the responsibility of children. It's likely why men in their 40s who are childless, look at women in their 20s and 30s as highly marketable.

40 year old men who are childless are likely looking to stay that way or want to start off with a clean slate. I'm not saying I agree with it either, but a 40 year old childless man is likely not going to want to deal with teenagers or small children from a woman his age. He's likely going to look for someone younger, especially if he's received feedback from younger women that he looks good for his age.

It's why some women tend to dress younger and try and look younger, the successful men their age may be looking for that younger looking woman. Doesn't mean her age always has to be young either. If he's 45, and been told constantly he looks mid 30s, there's a slim chance he's going to want to date a woman who's 45 and looks her age. Sure it's vain, but people tend to try and look younger, not older.
^^^Precisely. This is my exact situation.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:03 PM

20,365 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
Here is an article that talks about both men and women as they age, and who we actually find most attractive. Again, its just common sense.

Are you a girl over 22? Then don't even bother with online dating: Alarming graph shows what ages we find most attractive in the opposite sex | Daily Mail Online

Hm. Well, first of all, you'll forgive me if I refrain from living my life by the headlines of some internet clickbait. Secondly, that was not my experience with online dating. The most typical age of people approaching me was 27. Tons and tons of guys 25-29ish from here and nearby Denver, and I'm reasonably sure most of them were just interested in sex. If I'd actually just been looking to get bought dinner and then laid, I'd have had a field day.

There were however some who clearly radiated a need for a relationship. I was also dodging the typical "serious relationship" thing, so that put me off. I was picky. Choosy. And yet, still wound up with FOUR quality partners, only one of which wasn't on OKC when this was all coming together.

I'm over 22. I enjoyed a satisfying level of success in online dating. Other older women I know, who are at least average looking, report no shortage of dates in this area, too. Geography does play a part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
If it gets harder it would be because the options for decent men also diminish. The single older men would probably be bald, fat or both, and carry a lot of baggage. The other side of the spectrum would be really young dudes into older women. In that case, I wouldn't mind being a cougar if I'm still single and look great at that age.
I like the older ones. But I do prefer that they have their hair still. One of my current guys does rock the bald head and goatee thing though, and it works well on him. I have zero interest in being a "cougar" for the young ones. I find them boring, if not downright annoying, honestly. So I was turning down or ignoring a majority of approaches when I was on OLD.

Quote:
A 37 year old, AVERAGE looking woman, is most likely to struggle in all of those cities. At the very least, she will find dating a lot more difficult than what she experienced when she was 22.

When I was 22, I was broke, stressed out, had small kids, and a husband. I was on birth control (couldn't get my tubes tied at that age) that made me completely lose my libido. I didn't even want to be touched. I was the ice queen. If guys were seeing me and wanting me, I didn't notice. I dressed more conservatively, smiled a lot less, and got a LOT less male attention than I do now at 36 (37 next month.) Even if I hadn't been married, I was so focused on trying to make money and get started in the world, I don't think I'd have had any interest in dating at that time.

And it's amazing how much your behavior affects how much attention and approaches you get. People like friendly people.

Are you very young? Looking for a wife to make babies with, if anything? If so that might explain a lot. You should perhaps consider that not every person shares your opinion, even if they share your gender.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:07 PM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
A 37 year old, AVERAGE looking woman, is most likely to struggle in all of those cities. At the very least, she will find dating a lot more difficult than what she experienced when she was 22.
I agree with this, however in my own experience it was only my late 30's to mid-40's that I had this issue. Once I got to 50 I thought it would be much, much harder, but for whatever reason at 53 I find myself more in demand than I did in my late 30's/early 40's and by men both older and younger as well as my age. I think by then all the mid-life crisis are over, and the guys who are childless are planning to stay that way.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
I don't think there is any doubt that dating gets harder for women as they age. When they are in their prime age of 18-25 or so, they have men of all age brackets chasing them nonstop. Once they get into their 30s and 40s, a lot less men are interested. It doesn't mean there are no attractive aged women, there are plenty and there are guys willing to date them. Unfortunately, in many cases its guys who are extremely desperate for any female attention at all, since they have never had it. If you don't believe what I'm saying, look at the number of attractive women in each age group that do OLD. You wont find many 19 year olds, but there is no shortage of 37 year olds. Their lists of criteria for what they are looking in a man, magically shrink with time, from ridiculously long to a line or two. Not that hard to figure this out.

I don't think the demographics on OLD show what you think.

19 year olds are out working with others their age, have the friends from high school and college. There are eligible people to date EVERYWHERE as those in this age group are not normally married.

Now take those who are 47: work with people who are married, don't spend as much time out drinking and socializing, lost contact with high school and college friends..... you just don't run across many in your age group who are single. Thus, the use of OLD.

It's an issue of exposure, not desirability.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,302,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
If it gets harder it would be because the options for decent men also diminish. The single older men would probably be bald, fat or both, and carry a lot of baggage. The other side of the spectrum would be really young dudes into older women. In that case, I wouldn't mind being a cougar if I'm still single and look great at that age.
I prefer older women.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:23 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Now take those who are 47: work with people who are married, don't spend as much time out drinking and socializing, lost contact with high school and college friends..... you just don't run across many in your age group who are single. Thus, the use of OLD.

It's an issue of exposure, not desirability.
This is my life. One single attractive female in a company of 35 people. But her personality is awful AND I work with her. I also am not out every night, though generally 1-2 nights a week. No desire to go out more than that. OLD in Oklahoma is an unmitigated disaster.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,640 times
Oh, for pete's sake, if anyone can talk about women in D.C., it's me. I had men crawling all over me in my late 30s. By and large they were better men than I attracted in my 20s because they were fully formed adults and let's get real, the 45-year-old men who hit on 20-something women are looking primarily for sex, and NSA sex at that. I don't consider those men "quality." So unless you have actually been a woman in the D.C. area, you can stop talking about that right now.

As for those who talk about the alleged beauty of this city or that city, so sorry, but having grown up in the NY area, and having worked in Manhattan, and living most of my adult life in the D.C. area, I can make the comparisons, and it's clear that a lot of the people attempting to do the same have no clue about either city. Plenty of average Janes in New York, and in case you missed it, D.C. is a mecca for 20-somethings and has changed a LOT in the last 10 years, never mind the last 20. Plenty fashion and style here. It's consistently ranked in the top 3 healthiest areas to live in the country, and the people here have the bodies to show for it, to boot.

I find it ludicrous that men (read "not women") in their 20s (read: "limited dating experience and life knowledge compared to those of us in our 40s and beyond") whose time in either place is probably limited to a high school history trip (read: "tourists who know nothing of the locals") are even attempting to speak with authority on any of this.

Sheesh!

Old 12-08-2015, 03:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I find it's hard to make friends as you age, never mind dating.
Aw, Mags. You got a friend in me!

Old 12-08-2015, 04:03 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Oh, for pete's sake, if anyone can talk about women in D.C., it's me. I had men crawling all over me in my late 30s. By and large they were better men than I attracted in my 20s because they were fully formed adults and let's get real, the 45-year-old men who hit on 20-something women are looking primarily for sex, and NSA sex at that. I don't consider those men "quality." So unless you have actually been a woman in the D.C. area, you can stop talking about that right now.

As for those who talk about the alleged beauty of this city or that city, so sorry, but having grown up in the NY area, and having worked in Manhattan, and living most of my adult life in the D.C. area, I can make the comparisons, and it's clear that a lot of the people attempting to do the same have no clue about either city. Plenty of average Janes in New York, and in case you missed it, D.C. is a mecca for 20-somethings and has changed a LOT in the last 10 years, never mind the last 20. Plenty fashion and style here. It's consistently ranked in the top 3 healthiest areas to live in the country, and the people here have the bodies to show for it, to boot.

I find it ludicrous that men (read "not women") in their 20s (read: "limited dating experience and life knowledge compared to those of us in our 40s and beyond") whose time in either place is probably limited to a high school history trip (read: "tourists who know nothing of the locals") are even attempting to speak with authority on any of this.

Sheesh!

It would be hilarious if they weren't serious about it. Good post. I remember dating in my 20s. It's 10000x better now for me as a guy, personally. I also know that I and pretty much every 20 something I knew and know now is an emotional child regarding relationships in their 20s.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:57 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It would be hilarious if they weren't serious about it. Good post. I remember dating in my 20s. It's 10000x better now for me as a guy, personally. I also know that I and pretty much every 20 something I knew and know now is an emotional child regarding relationships in their 20s.
There's also that thing, though, where people in their 20s think they have life figured out.

I'm not saying that to put down the 20 somethings here. Some of them have great insight. But it's definitely a "thing" that, when you're in your 20s, you think you have things figured out.

Then when you reach your 30s, life hits you in the face like a Mack truck, and you realize you'll never have it figured it. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships