Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
The 5th or 6th highest in the world. Looks at these stats...

DivorceMag: World Divorce Statistics

That's easy. We make it too easy for people to get married, and we make it ENTIRELY too easy for just anyone to get a divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
That's easy. We make it too easy for people to get married, and we make it ENTIRELY too easy for just anyone to get a divorce.
While I see where you're coming from, I also shudder at the idea of the government putting additional "standards" on marriage and divorce.

Aside from the obvious standards that are already in effect, who's the "government" to say who I can marry and judge whether my reasons for getting married are "suitable"? Adding additional requirements for marriage licenses is only going to serve to open up a HUGE can of worms. Where does what *I* want for myself start, after the "government" has its say? I have enough issues dealing with my family about who I am with. I don't need the government poking its nose into this part of my life as well.

As far as divorce goes, I feel the same way. Though, I do think that a lot of people treat marriage as a "throw away" sort of thing, I also believe in the idea that people can decide for themselves who they want to be with, and why. If I get married and decide 2 months later that it was the worst decision of my life, why is it anyone else's business how I choose to proceed? Am I really hurting "society" by what I do? I should be miserable in my life because I made a vow? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM

170 posts, read 477,358 times
I know why! Because we are all promiscuous!
*I think I spelled that right*

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
While I see where you're coming from, I also shudder at the idea of the government putting additional "standards" on marriage and divorce.

Aside from the obvious standards that are already in effect, who's the "government" to say who I can marry and judge whether my reasons for getting married are "suitable"? Adding additional requirements for marriage licenses is only going to serve to open up a HUGE can of worms. Where does what *I* want for myself start, after the "government" has its say? I have enough issues dealing with my family about who I am with. I don't need the government poking its nose into this part of my life as well.

As far as divorce goes, I feel the same way. Though, I do think that a lot of people treat marriage as a "throw away" sort of thing, I also believe in the idea that people can decide for themselves who they want to be with, and why. If I get married and decide 2 months later that it was the worst decision of my life, why is it anyone else's business how I choose to proceed? Am I really hurting "society" by what I do? I should be miserable in my life because I made a vow? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not really talking about the government here. More of a societal thing. Divorce is almost the norm. It shouldn't really be that way, IMHO.

I don't get this attitude of "I shouldn't be miserable because I made a vow." Help me with this. Hypothetically, did you really care about the vow to begin with? I'm gonna guess that if it's just two months later--then no, so then yeah, ya know, you reap what you sow. If you've given your marriage a good shot after 10 or 15 years and you have tried counseling, or the guy's just beating/cheating you to death, well, that's a different story.

Are you hurting society? Well, overall, yes, by completely shooting down any credibility of the marriage institution, which hurts everyone in the end.

Who else might you be hurting? Kids, parents, friends...people don't understand the scope of what marriage is until they sit and watch adult children on Oprah confronting their parents with their bitterness and resentment. Then they say, "I had no idea." Oh wow, really? Ya didn't? Yeah, it's kinda hard to wonder how other people might feel when you're only concerned about your own feelings.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions to what I am saying above, but it seems in the grand scheme of things, people just don't freaking get it. I'm blaming it on a sense of selfish entitlement, a "it's MY life, I should be happy at all times" kind of sentiment.

Same-sex marriage proponents' biggest argument for their plight is the fact that heterosexual marriages can't even keep together. Who can argue that?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
By the way I just bought two Coach purses online because I can. How's that for special, Stacy?
Two, that's all..... I bought THREE Coach purses, two pair of Coach shoes, a set of LV luggage and some Cole Hahn slippers. HA! Oh, I ordered my husband a nightie from Frederick's. Not for HIM to wear but you know it is for him
And the maid comes to clean the house tomorrow. I'll be at the nail salon getting my french manicure and spa pedicure.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy K View Post
I return to new york in united states from europe next week I hope.
Just don't bring any crabs in with you. They do strip search people now coming in from foreign countries. They need to see EVERYTHING!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future1 View Post
are we sure Stacy K is not a troll-starting to smell like Big Dawg to me?????

When I read her first posts I figured it HAD to be a troll. If this person is for real........................ this world is in a world of hurt if people believe you can only get crabs and herpes from nothing but your own "pubic" as she does.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Two, that's all..... I bought THREE Coach purses, two pair of Coach shoes, a set of LV luggage and some Cole Hahn slippers. HA! Oh, I ordered my husband a nightie from Frederick's. Not for HIM to wear but you know it is for him
And the maid comes to clean the house tomorrow. I'll be at the nail salon getting my french manicure and spa pedicure.
You and I need to go shopping together!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
If you've given your marriage a good shot after 10 or 15 years and you have tried counseling.
I can see where you're coming from with this, but, honestly, I *don't* see the impact on "society" that you do. I'd rather my kids deal with a "broken home" than one that exists just for the sake of existing. I believe one of the worst things that kids can experience is growing up in a home that's "staying together for the sake of the kids"...or for the sake of the "marriage".

To make it harder to divorce would mean that a LOT more kids would be experiencing what one of my favorite songwriters, David Wilcox, described as the "covert war".

David Wilcox, Covert war Lyrics

What does something like that teach kids? And how does that impact them for the rest of their lives and in their current and future relationships?

There's no easy answer to this, but I'd argue that making it difficult to divorce is *not* the way to go with it, at all.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
I don't get this attitude of
Quote:
"I shouldn't be miserable because I made a vow."
That's not to say there aren't exceptions to what I am saying above, but it seems in the grand scheme of things, people just don't freaking get it. I'm blaming it on a sense of selfish entitlement, a "it's MY life, I should be happy at all times" kind of sentiment.
Nobody should live their whole lives miserable but more 'somebodies' need to be committed to the vows they pledge to mishigas73! It is called accountabilty if you are old enough to enter into a committment then you are old enough to follow through with it. Yes like Mom2Feebs said there are circumstances that you shouldn't have to stay with. But on the most part again it goes back to people not taking marriage for the seriousness of which it is and should be!

Mom2Feebs it is sad but true the entitlement our society has grown to. Thanks for posting that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships