Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 09:55 AM

36,672 posts, read 30,992,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
The guy lives in Russia and travels to US, he's US citizen and Russian citizen. The ladies all were Green Card holders, and lived here for some duration of times. Now, in all practicality, let's say he pays her minimal child support officially, and it is below poverty level, and most of his assets are not in US, nor registered personally to him, but rather to his business... I doubt the government would be able to deny public assistance to her. Based on what evidence? And I don't think she would apply for a welfare, or food stamps - where there's more red tape - but tuition assistance, medicaid, and such?
So basically your friend is a deadbeat father with 3 ex wives and multiple fatherless children who are being supported by the taxpayers. What was your point?

Again if he were paying her official support, court ordered support, he wouldn't be paying below poverty level if he is a millionaire with properties and holdings in the US. The state verifies income, they verify your business income and assets. They can take your business license if you dont pay the determined amount.

And Im not even sure about immigration laws. A green card holder divorced from a duel citizen whose primary residence is another country? You have quite the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM

3,373 posts, read 2,906,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So basically your friend is a deadbeat father with 3 ex wives and multiple fatherless children who are being supported by the taxpayers. What was your point?

Again if he were paying her official support, court ordered support, he wouldn't be paying below poverty level if he is a millionaire with properties and holdings in the US. The state verifies income, they verify your business income and assets. They can take your business license if you dont pay the determined amount.

And Im not even sure about immigration laws. A green card holder divorced from a duel citizen whose primary residence is another country? You have quite the imagination.
Would polygamy be allowed, he probably wouldn't need to "divorce" his ladies, and they would not qualify for public assistance then.

And if you think that if a guy has money, then his ex wife cannot be living below the poverty level after going through a divorce and child support battle, you're mistaken. I know a few legit women (US citizens or GC holders, not illegals) who got next to nothing in child support, weren't capable to work (or weren't making good enough money on their own), while their husbands were making quite some good money (let's say 100K+ per year).

Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
He's just fine. All I say, and it was proven by other examples, if polygamy is allowed, it would be more difficult to request public assistance, not easier.
How so? Assistance is based in income and number in the house hold. If you have one income and 9 dependents (say 3 wives with 2 children each) your chances of falling below the poverty guidelines are greater than one income with three dependents.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Would polygamy be allowed, he probably wouldn't need to "divorce" his ladies, and they would not qualify for public assistance then.

And if you think that if a guy has money, then his ex wife cannot be living below the poverty level after going through a divorce and child support battle, you're mistaken. I know a few legit women (US citizens or GC holders, not illegals) who got next to nothing in child support, weren't capable to work (or weren't making good enough money on their own), while their husbands were making quite some good money (let's say 100K+ per year).
Why not just live with "his ladies". I dont get the point of divorcing them. Stay married to the first one and just cohabitate with the others. Sounds like hes just a guy with 3 ex wives trying to weasel out of paying support. They dont need assistance if he is rich and supporting them.

Sorry but CS payments are based on your income. There is a formula. if your making 100K in my state and your ex made 0 your monthly payment would be 1743 for one child, thats using gross income. This is just basic and other things come into play. I dont think 1700/month for two people is below poverty guidelines. Try again?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
How so? Assistance is based in income and number in the house hold. If you have one income and 9 dependents (say 3 wives with 2 children each) your chances of falling below the poverty guidelines are greater than one income with three dependents.
But less than 0 income with 2 children. Household or not, if their marriage is not registered, the guy can always say I'm not living here, just visiting. Or that we're roommates.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Why not just live with "his ladies". I dont get the point of divorcing them. Stay married to the first one and just cohabitate with the others. Sounds like hes just a guy with 3 ex wives trying to weasel out of paying support. They dont need assistance if he is rich and supporting them.
a) He basically did just that. His registration and divorce was made mostly for immigration purposes.
b) He was supporting them with cash. None of his wives worked. But I believe at least one of them wanted to get into college and he wasn't going to pay tuition fee for her, so she got some assistance as low-income mom. I also believe all his wives and children, while in US, depended on Medicaid. He's rich, but rich people tend to keep all their money in business and are scroodgy sometimes.

Quote:
Sorry but CS payments are based on your income. There is a formula. if your making 100K in my state and your ex made 0 your monthly payment would be 1743 for one child, thats using gross income. This is just basic and other things come into play. I dont think 1700/month for two people is below poverty guidelines. Try again?
I know how it works Paying into it myself. Let me tell you 2 stories how it worked out (none involved that rich guy I talked before, and none involved living abroad - all parties live here in US legally). One story, the guy is making 200-300K per year, self-employed, wife, 3 children. She filed for divorce, he sold his plumbing company to his brother and start earning 60K. She got 1000 or so, not able to work because of medical reasons, 3 kids. She applied for Section 8, food stamps, wellfare and everything and got it. She couldn't survive on 1000 with 3 kids if she's to rent an apartment on her own. Another story - a lady and 1 small child, they were separated for some time, and he moved to another state and were helping her with expenses for some time, then they got together again in his state, then she decided it's not working and moved out. He filed for divorce in his state right away, before she was able to file in hers (which would be much more beneficial to her), transferred all his savings to his parents (for 'medical needs') and his house was in his name and in his state she could not force him to sell it. So, she had to fly every time to his state for each hearing, and obviously it was difficult for her financially, she could not make good discovery, he was employed in a company running by his friend and modified his contract so that his salary was really low (I don't know their arrangements, but he was making 100K or more as software engineer before the divorce), so she never told me her exact numbers, but her child support was really low in the end and she was just happy the battle is over and she doesn't need to fly every time to his state and spend more and more money on lawyers. She did not apply for public assistance as far as I know, but she's either below poverty level, or barely at it.
It happens, you know...

Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,808,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I was reading the thread on refugees with more than one wife.

As I was reading it I starting thinking, should the US legalize polygamy?

If yes, why?
If no, why?

We support equality in many areas in our society. Allowing it would mean to equal treatment under the law. Why ban something between consenting adults as to what type of family they want to raise?
First of all, it's due to religion, not legal laws. The people who come from Middle East countries are more ruled by the religious law than the legal law, though many are similar. The USA banned that practice long ago.

Why? There's polygamist sects in the Utah. they FORCE the young males out as there's only so much nooky to go around and the older males get that nookie. So that's one reason....

Old 01-06-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
But less than 0 income with 2 children. Household or not, if their marriage is not registered, the guy can always say I'm not living here, just visiting. Or that we're roommates.
Your not making any sense.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,132,982 times
I think the military actually went in and shot a bunch of the mormans back in the day.

I don't understand these other posters writing walls of text when this is such a simple topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
First of all, it's due to religion, not legal laws. The people who come from Middle East countries are more ruled by the religious law than the legal law, though many are similar. The USA banned that practice long ago.

Why? There's polygamist sects in the Utah. they FORCE the young males out as there's only so much nooky to go around and the older males get that nookie. So that's one reason....

Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Your not making any sense.
Would you be able to explain why I am not making no sense? I think it is very obvious that 0 income is less than any income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships