Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 04:57 PM

221 posts, read 132,169 times

Advertisements

We have all heard, that our names/reputation is the only entity that we can protect. In the news, there was man who had a picture of himself online, and then it was photoshopped negatively by someone. Through social media, he had to clear his name.

With the above being said, I understand that online dating can be a helpful in meeting people, but are there others who are concerned about the risks of posting pictures of themselves on a dating site? I guess there are risks and also benefits. For some people, a photoshopped picture can affect their employment opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:18 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
I used eHarmony and it was guided so your photo was not out there. Your photo can be on Facebook or anywhere and be photoshopped. If you really want to meet someone and OLD in my opinion is the way to go. The rewards far outweigh the risks. You can meet all kinds of crazy people on OLD but you have to exercise some reasonable discretion and you should be OK.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I've never had a picture on my OLD profile. Well, not all of them. The one that hit paydirt was not one of the ones with a picture. I too feel that OLD is the way to go for any adult serious about finding a LTR, or anything else involving another human being for that matter. But... if someone does not agree... why all the handwringing in relationship forums? I don't do things I consider risky. If I thought having a picture on an OLD profile was risky I simply would not do it. Or is that too easy... ...

Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
If someone wanted to steal your pictures, they can easily do this from social media and even professional sites like LinkedIn. Posting on a dating site is not more risky than posting elsewhere. If you're worried, Google yourself every now and then so you can see what other people are seeing, and rectify it if there is a need.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I don't see any real risks. My photo is on my company website, Linkedin, Facebook, etc. No biggie.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM

221 posts, read 132,169 times
Thanks for the responses! Food for thought. Cheers.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 AM

98 posts, read 72,821 times
There are many people and companies who steal people's pics online. All the more reason to have only one or two pics on a dating site - all you need is a head shot and a body shot. If you can put "thin" for body type, perhaps you don't even need a body shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships