Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with one guy I met online. He is 44 and told me that the economy has hit him terribly, so he just moved back in with his parents. Now he is thinking of going back to school to get a degree in nursing or counseling. He asked me if I wanted to meet for coffee. I told him, "I don't really feel a connection but I wish you luck."

I mean, seriously. What woman is going to want to date a man after hearing that hard luck story?

I feel bad for him, but why would I want to date a man his age who is living at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times
I would suggest that he not date for now so he can get his life together. Then, when he's back professionally, he won't feel the need to troll for pathetic, desparate women who are looking for men on the internet.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM

105 posts, read 250,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I would suggest that he not date for now so he can get his life together. Then, when he's back professionally, he won't feel the need to troll for pathetic, desparate women who are looking for men on the internet.

Why does a woman have to be desparate because she is using the internet to date?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I just want to know View Post
Why does a woman have to be desparate because she is using the internet to date?
I think what Danbo means is that the only women this guy will be able to get are going to be desperate and pathetic.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM

259 posts, read 732,188 times
I got laid off and couldn't afford living where I was living (one of the most expensive counties in the nation) so I moved in with my parent and am also contemplating going back to school.

I'm not a loser. nor do I feel like it's a pitiful "hard luck story". sure it sucks, but I'm making the best of it. Just like it sounds like this guy is.

However, it is sad that you're so judgemental. Hopefully the economy doesn't effect you like it's effected so many of us. It would suck for you to have to eat your words.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM

371 posts, read 894,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think what Danbo means is that the only women this guy will be able to get are going to be desperate and pathetic.
Bad luck can happen to anyone. It doesn't make you a loser.

So much for money not mattering,eh?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
Why would a woman be desparate or pathetic to date a man who has to start over? What you are saying basically is if you had been with a man who didn't escape the recession unscathed you would have left him. And we wonder why men think we are gold diggers?

At least he was honest enough to come clean about his situation, instead of lying playing games like so many men would to keep from being rejected for a temporary situation. He deserves much better than you and thank you for not ruining him for wonderful woman he's bound to meet.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
(whispers) I don't think that's what he meant. . . .

The way it reads the first time around is what he meant.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
S**t happens to anyone and of course I feel bad for the guy, with that said, he would feel much better in a dating scene if he was employed, it's for his own confidence and self-esteem. I'm not part of materialistic bunch, but how would he feel if he took me out and I accidentally ordered something he can't afford? I would concentrate on getting his financial life back on track before dating.
Also, keep in mind what he did before, does he have talent and ambition, you never know. One can be unemployed one day and then become a millionaire a year later. Feel out the situation.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
I don't get this. That TVSportsGuy asked this same question.

It really sucks that so many people here are so quick to judge. And the funny thing is, if this guy had not told you that story and you had found out another way, you would have been POed that he hid it from you. It's a lose-lose situation for him. At least he's being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships