Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 PM

332 posts, read 294,828 times

Advertisements

I was in a serious relationship for over a year and fell head over heels for the guy. Was in love with him, talked kids, marriage, etc. Eventually things came to an end. I hopped on Tinder shortly after for shts and giggles and now I'm crushing hard on this new guy I'm talking to/dating. I wake up everyday to just a "good morning sunshine" text (go ahead and cringe) or something along those lines and it gives me butterflies.

Just a few months ago I thought I would never move on and I wanted to get back together with my ex but now I barely remember him when I talk to this Tinder guy. Could it be that I didn't really love the ex as much as I thought? I've dated other people prior, but with him I felt different, and I was pretty convinced I was in love. Surely, people don't move on that fast when they love someone though right?

How fast does it take you guys (and gals) to move on? I'm feeling a bit guilty for moving on so fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,913,129 times
I move on from most relationships quickly, due to the fact that one relationship from my past has basically rendered all other relationships as being insignificant.

That other relationship was over a decade ago, but still has me really screwed up. Just this morning, I woke up with my arms wrapped around a giant pillow in my bed and realized when I opened my eyes, it wasn't her. Really messed up my morning on a whole new level.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:02 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,359,302 times
I move on with my life as soon as I can, but me 'moving on' doesn't mean jumping right back into a relationship. I always give myself ample time to reflect from a failed relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
I'm feeling a bit guilty for moving on so fast
I think, you're feeling a bit guilty, because you're not over your ex.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
Don't feel guilty for moving on. Why should you feel guilty. Usually people try to make relationships work, even when they know it probably isn't. So once the break comes, they've known it for some time, so its like "finally its over" Time to move on to something new. The person who would have a harder time is the person who got dumped suddenly without a hint that there was a problem. They're going to be saying "what happened and why?" for some time.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:13 AM

231 posts, read 202,220 times
I move on the very next day. 0 to 100 real quick.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,798,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnidroid View Post
I move on the very next day. 0 to 100 real quick.
Yep. Or at least I start TRYING the next day.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times
I've only been in one long-term relationship other than marriage. We were together for 5+ years and engaged, but we were young and had grown apart. We got along well and never fought, but we were just on different paths in life. When he broke up with me, I took my ring off and decided to wait a week for him to call. He didn't so I got back out there. I was sad but not devastated.

Be careful of the rebound. I dated a guy and told him I just wanted to have fun, nothing serious as I had just been in one for years. He ended up telling me he loved me and I really hated hurting him. Just remember that Mr. Wonderful has feelings too.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:09 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,188,454 times
Everyone is different OP.

It has been two months for me and I am enjoying dates in a stand alone way but I miss the closeness I had with my ex. It is hard for me to get excited or be 100% focused on another. I'd rather not date at all really but opportunities came up I shouldn't miss.

It is hard for me to get close to people overall coupled with few quality people to meet that like me as well means relationships can be few an far between. My last one was really exceptional, no way he is replaceable on any level. I feel that way though about any guy I deeply care for.

But, some people operate on a different level, which is fine. Your prior relationship is over, you can date whom you choose, just always be upfront about your intentions.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
The better question is how fast do you move forward after a break up. What others do does not apply to you and what you do. There is no right, wrong or time frame that is appropriate for everyone. If you want to date then date, if not then don't.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
How fast does it take you guys (and gals) to move on? I'm feeling a bit guilty for moving on so fast

Don't. This is a rebound relationship. That is fine. They're helpful. But they come to an end too and often there is more mourning after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships