Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:08 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Geek 101 View Post
not bad did you ever get caught
:P must have been fun
There's not any rules where you can't date them so " the excitement of getting caught " wasn't there however she was lovely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I had a long term relationship with someone I worked with. Workplace romance wasn't forbidden, but we kept it secret the entire time. Only a couple of people knew.

The upsides. Got to see each other pretty much all day long. Some might say this is a downside, but we enjoyed each other's time. We got work done, but it was nice to work with her during the day.

Downsides. You see each other all day long. If you have a fight, you can't escape at work. If you break up, it's hard to work together if someone is angry.

We did pretty good. Ultimately ended the relationship and still work together by virtue of now being in two different buildings. We're friends now....but if you break up with someone and don't want to be friends with them, only way to get out is a new job.

I wouldn't do it again, but it was one of those "hot coworker in short skirt" deals that started the relationship. Couldn't resist

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Don't dip your pen in the company ink.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
What do you guys think?

Don't sh*t where you eat.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I personally take this one step further and evaluate shared social circles of the people I choose to date, and forecast what social fallout could result from a breakup. I don't want anyone to have their network fall apart in such a situation, or friends to have to choose sides.
Slight hijack: this is why I don't recommend people use Meetup solely for the purposes of finding a partner. I have seen the social fallout/choosing of the sides happen too many times, and in fact, have the perception of it happening right now in my own inner circle.

To bring it back around - I'd rather take my chances at work. Much easier to move on to another job than to create an entire new circle of friends.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:19 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Never ... never ... never ...

Quote:
Is it ever a good idea to date people at work like even your boss or supervisor or even a co worker.
My friends were suggesting for me to date this one lady that calls the helpdesk to talk to me but idk it doesnt seem right to date people at work?
What do you guys think?

I would NEVER go there personally. I try my best to keep work and my private life as separate as possible. I would never even date someone I went to school so I am totally pro keeping business and pleasure separate.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:27 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
I have always come down on the side against workplace dating. The closest I ever came to it was asking out a female co-worker on the day she was laid off (the answer I got was a yes for anyone interested). Anyway at my current employer where I have been for almost two years now I have received more attention from the female co-workers than ever before. I am starting to waver on my prior stance but I have established some ground rules.
  • Never date your supervisor or someone else further up your chain of command.
  • Never date a co-worker with whom you have to deal in the performance of your job duties.
  • Never date a co-worker within your functional area even if the department/supervisor is different. Staff reorgs can change that pretty quick.
  • Never date a co-worker that you have to see every day even if you don't interact in the execution of your job duties.
  • Never date someone where the relationship could be construed as providing favoritism (i.e. management beyond your supervisor).

In my case, a female co-worker seems very interested in me so i don't see sexual harassment as an issue. We work in vastly different functions so our chains of command intersect up at the CEO and furthermore our company is being split into two distinct companies and we will be on separate sides of the divide. More than likely in six months or so, we would end up being two people working in the same building for two different employers.

Anyone see any grave dangers with pursuing this?

Old 01-14-2016, 04:31 PM

When I think of office dating, it's outside of the office when you're out of work (which I'm against).

However, if she comes into your office and strips down nude, then hey, that's not really dating. Wouldn't there be an exception for that, since it's just sex?

Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
When I think of office dating, it's outside of the office when you're out of work (which I'm against).

However, if she comes into your office and strips down nude, then hey, that's not really dating. Wouldn't there be an exception for that, since it's just sex?
I think that's what the OP my well be referring to

Sex as opposed to actual dating.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 PM

I think of the Mad Men episodes set in the 1960s, where it'd happen and then they'd just go back to work, like nothing happened. Quite an era!

That and having mini bars in each office space lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships