Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

What if there is no one out there better than your ex? No one who you have any kind of shot with at least. Your ex has moved on, forgotten about you, and is in a relationship. You continue to date but you can't feel anything for anyone else because they aren't your ex. What should you do? Date someone who you don't like as much? Never date again? Embarrass yourself even more than you already have and keep begging your ex to give you another shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:35 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
What if there is no one out there better than your ex?
Realize with all the people in this world, this is unlikely true. Don't believe in the whole notion that there is only one person for you... that's simply not realistic.

PS> I have roots in Superland, TX. But that was another lifetime ( we moved away when I was still a kid).... back when highway 6 was a quiet single lane road. Back when one can ride a dirt bike almost anywhere. I should pay a visit. I bet it is all foreign to me now. Got some family still in the area that I haven't visited in a long time.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Nobody's perfect. Your ex wasn't even perfect for you, because the perfect person for you wants to be with you, and is.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:42 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Realize with all the people in this world, this is most unlikely not true. Don't believe in the whole notion that there is only one person for you... that's simply not realistic.

PS> I have roots in Superland, TX. But that was another lifetime ( we moved away when I was still a kid).... back when highway 6 was a quiet single lane road. Back when one can ride a dirt bike almost anywhere. I should pay a visit. I bet it is all foreign to me now. Got some family still in the area that I haven't visited in a long time.
I agree. With time, you need to realize that no one is "perfect." It sounds hokey as hell, but if they were meant to be with you, you'd still be with them.

This post baffles me because I didn't think you'd ever been that serious with someone, SAS??

Btw usayit, I know you meant Sugarland (autocorrect is a jerk) but it made me chuckle to think of a place called Superland.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:45 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Well, an ex is an ex for a reason.

And he or she wasn't perfect. No human is.

Maturity is understanding and accepting that while feelings or comparisons may linger, one's life has to move on.

Until you or anyone embraces this, then an uphill battle inevitably exists.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:46 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I agree. With time, you need to realize that no one is "perfect." It sounds hokey as hell, but if they were meant to be with you, you'd still be with them.

This post baffles me because I didn't think you'd ever been that serious with someone, SAS??

Btw usayit, I know you meant Sugarland (autocorrect is a jerk) but it made me chuckle to think of a place called Superland.
Well, just because it wasn't serious for him doesn't mean that it wasn't serious for me. And his new girlfriend doesn't look any better than I do, so apparently my looks weren't the problem.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times
There is no such thing as a "perfect" ex.

People make messes.

People have bad habits.

Feet stink.

Work on yourself and be the best you can be. Part of that is being a little more objective and realistic about your fellow humans. The rest will fall into place eventually.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:50 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Nobody's perfect. Your ex wasn't even perfect for you, because the perfect person for you wants to be with you, and is.
Indeed.

It's unhealthy to idealize and romanticize an individual to the point that he/she is "perfect." No one is perfect. I think a person can be a "perfect" fit, that is, chemistry, compatibility in any areas, etc., an amazing match, but the individual isn't perfect.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:51 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
What if there is no one out there better than your ex? No one who you have any kind of shot with at least. Your ex has moved on, forgotten about you, and is in a relationship. You continue to date but you can't feel anything for anyone else because they aren't your ex. What should you do? Date someone who you don't like as much? Never date again? Embarrass yourself even more than you already have and keep begging your ex to give you another shot?
Firstly, I would be kind to myself and stop romanticising a failed relationship. It failed for a reason. Take time to analyse your role in this demise, then work on improving yourself in preparation for the next relationship.

Secondly, stop being pessimistic. If you were able to attract someone, clearly they saw something in you that others will also be able to see, but your attitude to life in general plays a major role in whom you attract aka if you think negatively, then you'll attract Debbie downers.

Lastly, love takes time. It's easy to grow bitter at the fact that your ex managed to move on so quickly, but recognise that everyone has their own journey. So it might take you a while longer, but when you finally find the person that's right for you, it will all be worth it. Begging for love is oh, so desperate. Let it go and really open yourself up to other possibilities!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
How do you move on when your ex was perfect?
By realizing that perfection does not exist on this planet.

Quote:
Embarrass yourself even more than you already have and keep begging your ex to give you another shot?
Really? You did that?
No better way to convince your ex that you are totally wrong for him....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships