Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Many relationships can't withstand enormous stress. Being broke causes enormous stress. Couples who have plenty of money may not experience financial stress, but may experience large stresses from a different front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 PM

50,808 posts, read 36,501,346 times
It's not amount of money that is as important as attitudes about money. Someone who is careful with money and a saver is not going to mesh well with someone who has to have the latest expensive toy and would rather live for today than save for the future. That couple is going to have a higher likely hood of divorce whether they make $50,000 between them or $5,000,000. I thought my last bf made very poor decisions about money, and if we had gotten married it certainly would have been a point of contention, because it made me worry about his judgement in general and whether he was really competent in certain ways. It had nothing at all to do with how much he made or had, though.

None of that has anything to do with the saying about money not buying happiness. That basically means it can't change who you are as a person..if you're not a happy type person before, you're not suddenly going to be different if you come into money...there will be a period of euphoria, but eventually you'll go back to being you again, whether "you" is happy guy or low-level depression guy or angry at the world guy.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:34 PM

52,278 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Statistically speaking it is one of the leading causes for divorce. It's more in how the money is spent is what causes problems, if you have a spender type with a saver type, that's when you get into trouble. Also if one is irresponsible with handling money.

The saying about money buying happiness has nothing to do with people divorcing over money.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Ultimately, the divorces are caused by hypergamy.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
The lust for money has caused many a divorce.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Money lots of it is a Magnifying Glass for a SO positive
character traits

LACK of money places A SO into A ZERO TOLERANCE TYPE OF POSTION....

Old 02-07-2016, 06:21 PM

645 posts, read 750,967 times
I think its when there is not enough money is when the problems start....struggling to pay finances adds a lot of stress to a relationship...I don't think money is the main factor that brings happiness to a relationship but it makes you comfortable..

Old 02-07-2016, 07:05 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Lack of money definitely can cause stress on a marriage, causing divorce. Different views on money can also cause stress, like the example of a saver marrying a spender.

Money in general can ruin friendships or even families. Check out this thread on friendships and money Can People With Money Be Friends With People Who Don't Have Money ?. Do you want to see families stop talking to each other? Find people who have just come back from a will reading. I've seen a few siblings become enemies after their inheritance.

I do find this topic funny in that there will always be people denying that money does not harm a relationship when it clearly does, as well as friendships and families.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:53 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I beg to differ I think money is probably one of the most important factors in a successful relationship. Do you agree?
Well, that's low-hanging fruit as in "patently obvious," in my experience.

I believe the subject title explains the root-cause issue: as someone of decent means, I can say that I don't miss meals, mortgage payments, or other necessities of life on a day-to-day basis. That means I'm "comfortable", and quite grateful for it thank you very much. Thus, money for me is not a day-to-day cause of stress. Modern financial tools make it quite easy and transparent to watch the I/O on a month-to-month basis, track spending trends, and adjust accordingly to reach goals.

For many people, these days, clearly money is the biggest cause of stress. Things have been weird since the Great Recession in terms of jobs, spending, and uncertainty and we're far from out of the woods on that.

I have dated women who were poor and barely making it. In each case I can recall, a sense of resentment built over time towards me. I recall one conversation going sideways with the phrase "must be nice" hurled as an epitaph because I dared to shop at Nordstrom's or Hugo Boss, instead of more-thrifty stores. My reply, then as now, was "I do, because I can, not sure what the problem is." Ghetto problems are often caused by behavior, not circumstance, though the latter can work against single moms in-particular and I do have sympathy for their plight in some cases.

Comments like the above, however, indicated resentment building into a relationship problem. Call it "income disparity" among partners in a relationship adding stress. Stress is seldom good for relationships.

If both partners are wealthy, they don't have that to worry about, assuming both are "good" with money. That does not always follow, I've met a few women who were experts at burning through Daddy's money but had little idea how to manage their own budgets. Guys, too, btw.

I think if both partners manage money well, they actually have something in common and it's one less thing to worry about. Togetherness is a hallmark of strong relationships, on any marital topic, btw. Apartness, disagreement, etc. cause tension. Can't make ends meet, and/or poor financial management, is self-evidently kryptonite to relationships due to the inherent stress and instability of such situations.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:56 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
"Happiness doesn't pay the bills"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships