Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:06 PM

26 posts, read 22,602 times

Advertisements

Here we go...
1) two parent household ( man and woman )

2) two parent SAME SEX household

3) foster care

4) single parent household ( mother or father )

5) grandparents

6) relatives ( aunts, uncles, siblings ect )

7) other

I think I covered them all.... Now I'm very curious what kind of home did you grow up in? What type of relationships did you witness growing up? How did it affect your love life?

Here's a little bit about my situation...
I grew up living with my grandmother most of my childhood. My mom was present but she was very young. My grandmother eventually moved back to her home town and left her grand children behind. By the age of 9 I was living with my aunt and her kids. That situation lasted 3 years. My grandma came back and my cousins an I moved in with her. I just sort of bounced around til I was 17. I moved in with my aunt again, then my dad, then a different aunt, then my mom, my aunt again and FINALLY moved in with my current boyfriend when I was just 17.

The only time I witnessed a two parent household was when I moved in with my second aunt. I envied and wanted what she had. Every other adult I grew up around were single parents and bounced from man to man and woman to woman. Before I met my current boyfriend I was pretty promiscuous, a wild child I shall say. I dated LOTS of different guys. When I met my boyfriend we were both wild. I was also touched on my a step uncle and was sexually active at a young age.

We've been together a few years now... We're in our early 20's I can admit the relationship is very toxic. I just want to know based on the way I grew up is there hope for me. I dream of being happily married someday with the person I have children with ( my boyfriend )

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 01:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I grew up with my parents. Man and woman. Small town. They are still together. About 50 years now. Wow. Still hold hands sitting on the couch and in public. Rarely have friends because they have each other. They are very conservative and strict.
I only fall for bad boys and I was trouble when I was younger.

I only witnessed households like mine when I was a kid. I met the first person with divorced parents when I was around 17.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I don't think it has. My parents were married until my father died. My mom believes you have on marriage in life, and she never dated again after. But I don't think that affects me other than I don't believe in starter marriages and I pretty much think I have one shot at getting it right.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccjones808 View Post

We've been together a few years now... We're in our early 20's I can admit the relationship is very toxic. I just want to know based on the way I grew up is there hope for me. I dream of being happily married someday with the person I have children with ( my boyfriend )

Thanks for reading
Are you working? Do you have health insurance? There's hope for you if you can get counseling to deal with what sounds like a chaotic and possibly at times traumatic childhood. Heck, even being raised by a variety of family members and bouncing around without a dedicated, steady caregiver, can be traumatic. There could be abandonment issues, or other things. Look into free clinics in your area, if you have no way to pay for counseling. My bet is that you need to heal before you can have a healthy relationship.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
My parents were married more than 50 years. I have been married once, for 20 years, which was my only serious, live-in relationship.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:04 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I grew up in a normal household with both my parents until they split up when I was 14.

I didn't really pay attention to other people's relationships until I hit 16 and wanted a boyfriend for the sake of having one. So far I haven't had any official relationships with anyone. Only crushes that never went anywhere. I don't see myself with anyone honestly. I highly doubt my life growing up has anything to do with this.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:06 PM

645 posts, read 835,652 times
It may or may not I guess. Everybody is different. I grew up with my parents but with close connections to the rest of the family.They are married 32 years now. But since most of grown up life has been abroad, I mostly saw married folks around me. Divorce was so rare back when I was a kid.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
My parents are still married and there's very little divorce in my family. My husband and I just had our 20th anniversary. However, his family has several divorces (his mom was wife #2 out of 3) and he had a tumultuous upbringing. We're very different in that regard.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Two parent household, mom is mentally ill, dad was her co-dependent. I was not confident about finding the right guy, so I married the one I got, then was not a good wife to him, since I had no idea what a functional relationship looked like.

My ex was not so great at marriage either, and his parents were really pretty functional. I've matured now, he hasn't, so I don't know what that says about the advantages of the nuclear family. Mine forced me to be become smarter, but also more detached.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Those six posted (family structure) are no major factors that affect your love life.

The factors that can affect your love life, as listed by some ^^^, are: (in no particular order)
care, conditional/unconditional love, attention, affection, divorce, abuse, neglect, poverty, toxic stress, addictions, mental health, death, stability, influence, bonds, parenting styles, role models, respect, ethics, security, quality of parenting, personality, authority, commitment...

Kids can experience any of this in all factors you listed. Where you grow up doesn't matter that much than how you grow up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships