Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:06 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times

Advertisements

Once you get past (survive) the age of your mid-life crisis (mine was at 16), you don't get any older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:45 PM

50,802 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Relevance??? It matters more than cup size or penis length in terms of compatibility.

You can be at totally different life stages.
You may not be able to relate to each other as easily based on background and formative experiences.
Your friends might even have difficulty mixing/relating.

That's just off the top of my head.
I think in this case, when OP and her date are actually sitting in front of each other, it's pretty clear they are in the same generation. I may not know someone's exact age, but if the person I'm sitting with is 48 I'm not going to wonder if he's 28 and whether we'll be compatible, lol.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, I'm very open about discussing my favorite music...the year I graduated, not so much.

This isn't even something I'm concerned about just in terms of meeting guys. I recently received a message from a woman in a Meetup group asking me if I'd like to go to lunch with her some time (as friends). She's in her early 20s. I don't think she would've messaged me if she knew how old I am, and I don't want to tell her.
In all honesty, if striking up a friendship is hindered because the potential friend is bothered by an age gap, that's probably not a person I'd be all that interested in being friends with, anyway.

I've always had friends who span a pretty wide age range. At my first job, which I worked through my twenties, a coworker became a good friend. She was my mom's age. At another job, I had a classroom full of paras who were just out of college. I was midthirties. I was friends with quite a few of them. If I wasn't friends with them, it was due to factors other than age...typically it was attitude-related.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:58 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
I really only ever did online dating, so it wasn't something I really thought about or had to deal with. I can't say I'm bothered by being asked my age.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:30 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
How old are you?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
How old are you?
Me? I was born in the 80s.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
I have no issues telling people my age. I had friends in their 40s whilst I was in my 20s. It really wasn't an issue for any of us. If someone doesn't want to befriend you coz of your age, then move along to the next. A friendship started on trying to be deceitful mmhh....

Old 02-15-2016, 01:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
@Sweet Like Sugar

ok, first let's keep things realistic re: your speed dating event.
1. other people fudge/lie about their age too. Unless the speed dating organizers swipe drivers licenses thru a reader you never know
2. other people legitimately look younger than their numerical age
3. time is not kind to some - they have been beat by the ugly stick and left out in the sun. I've seen men lose their hair at 23 and I've seen 26 yr old women with crows feet you could see from across the room. And I've seen 40-somethings that nobody would *believe* they are 40 something.
4. You dont get "that much time" to talk to each person. And they may or may not "check the box" to see you again. So relax and just let it flow.

But ask the question of yourself, even if you wont answer it publically on the forum - what do you GET out of passing yourself off as significantly younger? Concealing your age in conversation? Do you get a thrill? Do you want a bunch of 20 something girlfriends and boyfriends?

Are you mourning the loss of your younger self? Are you going to have 'less options' now, or will other people have power over you if they know *your age*, (gasp)

So what are you motivations:
a) date someone younger
b) date someone same age
c) date someone older
d) date someone regardless of age, just whoever has the magic chemistry that makes you swoon?

Old 02-15-2016, 01:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
To answer the question for myself -

I too, look young for my age. I never really ask a woman her age, because I dont need to. A couple rounds of conversation, her demeanor, some close observation I can usually tell. But my ultimate criteria (in a dating context) is pretty simple: is she fine, and younger than me? That's all I really need to know for small talk.

I do object to the people who ask within the first few questions "how old are you?" because it is a rude question, like someone asking 'what kinda car you drive?' or once I even got 'what's your job title?'. it's not so much that I cannot supply the information, I wonder how my answer will alter what you think about me, and how you will treat me. For instance - the conversation could stop on a dime if 1 person is under/over "30", but it'd still be going if you didn't know the answer.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
@Sweet Like Sugar

ok, first let's keep things realistic re: your speed dating event.
1. other people fudge/lie about their age too. Unless the speed dating organizers swipe drivers licenses thru a reader you never know
2. other people legitimately look younger than their numerical age
3. time is not kind to some - they have been beat by the ugly stick and left out in the sun. I've seen men lose their hair at 23 and I've seen 26 yr old women with crows feet you could see from across the room. And I've seen 40-somethings that nobody would *believe* they are 40 something.
4. You dont get "that much time" to talk to each person. And they may or may not "check the box" to see you again. So relax and just let it flow.

But ask the question of yourself, even if you wont answer it publically on the forum - what do you GET out of passing yourself off as significantly younger? Concealing your age in conversation? Do you get a thrill? Do you want a bunch of 20 something girlfriends and boyfriends?

Are you mourning the loss of your younger self? Are you going to have 'less options' now, or will other people have power over you if they know *your age*, (gasp)

So what are you motivations:
a) date someone younger
b) date someone same age
c) date someone older
d) date someone regardless of age, just whoever has the magic chemistry that makes you swoon?
Well, I guess part of the issue is that I do tend to like younger guys and always have, so even when I was in my 20s I felt too old for whoever I was interested in at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships