Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM

257 posts, read 1,131,577 times

Advertisements

haha this was too funny for me being a VA kid outside of DC. i went to college there and every single time i asked someone where they were from they would say...like Hundred, WV. and i said where is that? and then they would flip me off and stick out their thumb and point to their hand and say...right there. it worked out well if you look at it with your palm down pretty good depiction of the state borders...so everytime someone asked me...where was fairmont, wv? i would flip them off and say right there! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2LiveNCities View Post
haha this was too funny for me being a VA kid outside of DC. i went to college there and every single time i asked someone where they were from they would say...like Hundred, WV. and i said where is that? and then they would flip me off and stick out their thumb and point to their hand and say...right there. it worked out well if you look at it with your palm down pretty good depiction of the state borders...so everytime someone asked me...where was fairmont, wv? i would flip them off and say right there! lol
I'll have to remember that. I think West Virginias are the only people in the country that will chase you down to say "Hi" and find out where you are from if you have on a WV t-shirt or WV license on your car, and are at least 50 miles from WV. My Texas wife hates it when I do that.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
I was walking past Independence Hall last summer and saw about 100 teenagers carrying a sign that said "West Virginia", so I immediately went over to ask where they're from, they had come up from Morgantown to see Philly, so I wished them a good visit. I've actually lived in another state where they use the hand map, Michigan, though there you just use your flat hand with the thumb out. It works well unless you are from the UP (Upper Peninsula).

Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'll have to remember that. I think West Virginias are the only people in the country that will chase you down to say "Hi" and find out where you are from if you have on a WV t-shirt or WV license on your car, and are at least 50 miles from WV. My Texas wife hates it when I do that.
I do that everywhere we go - I get really excited when we are off the mainland US and see someone with a WV logo.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,685 times
They flip you off in California, too. No matter what you ask them.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
...during the viet nam war, that was a sign of hospitality...all the little kids used that to advertise the special services of their sisters and mothers...Somehow it's lost its real meaning...wonder who did that? It was the best half of the 'Peace sign.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
They flip you off in California, too. No matter what you ask them.
thats too funny. haha...yeah at least the west virginians are just trying to show ya something...maybe thats why people think they are crazy lol.

also yeah i am very surprised when i am out of state specially in florida and see WV logos. those people are so dedicated to mostly WVU and its amazing no matter where you go they got either a shirt or a hat. awesome pride in their state.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
I bought a new WVU hat online the other day. Getting ready for the Las Vegas invitational basketball tournament in November. Now I have to decide on a shirt, and find out which is the WVU section at the Orleans Arena. I've had two young ladies stop me recently to tell me they went to WVU.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM

yeah. id say they are a definite cult school. small state with huge awesome school like that. and its really their only option as far as big schools. Marshall was always called the little brother that just wants to play football by my friends that were back country/holler natives to that great state of west by god.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Cult School? Certainly...and now, our Degrees are not Bogus either! Earned with sweat and money! On the way higher in the status and attainment circles...GO EERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia