Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:43 PM

103 posts, read 93,469 times

Advertisements

I never had good experience with men. I dated guys who were dating their ex behind my back. I dated guys who were married and hid it from me. I dated guys who were abusive. I dated guys who i thought were the most loyal and moral but turned out to be a two timer. And I didn't jump from one relationship to the next. I always left myself for at least 6 months to a year before I dated again. I always reflected on my experience. Yet it always went terribly. I got hit on by older married men. I got harrassed by older male co-worker. What is it about me that tells men I don't deserve love??

I love my dad as a daughter. I dislike him as his wife's daughter. I would go so far as to say I wish my mum was with someone better. They are happy now (I think) but he never took care of my mum in any way. Never bought her birthday presents, no anniversaries, no alone time with her, not a single trip with her alone, expected her to do all the housework and barely helped. He cheated on her once with a prostitute. He's such a great dad but a complete a-hole as a husband.

I believe in love, believe that there's someone out there who is just right for me. I just got out of a relationship and working hard to improve myself and am happy to be single. After all my experience I think I still believe I can find love. But i don't want to let men dictate my happiness.

But how could they not dictate my happiness if i truly loved them? need some wisdom here.

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-25-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 05:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,089,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy2013 View Post
I never had good experience with men. I dated guys who were dating their ex behind my back. I dated guys who were married and hid it from me. I dated guys who were abusive. I dated guys who i thought were the most loyal and moral but turned out to be a two timer. And I didn't jump from one relationship to the next. I always left myself for at least 6 months to a year before I dated again. I always reflected on my experience. Yet it always went terribly. I got hit on by older married men. I got harrassed by older male co-worker. What is it about me that tells men I don't deserve love??

I love my dad as a daughter. I dislike him as his wife's daughter. I would go so far as to say I wish my mum was with someone better. They are happy now (I think) but he never took care of my mum in any way. Never bought her birthday presents, no anniversaries, no alone time with her, not a single trip with her alone, expected her to do all the housework and barely helped. He cheated on her once with a prostitute. He's such a great dad but a complete a-hole as a husband.

I believe in love, believe that there's someone out there who is just right for me. I just got out of a relationship and working hard to improve myself and am happy to be single. After all my experience I think I still believe I can find love. But i don't want to let men dictate my happiness.

But how could they not dictate my happiness if i truly loved them? need some wisdom here.

No one should dictate your happiness. Google "reflected sense of self."

Have you had any therapy?

Old 02-25-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Have you had any therapy?
Starting cognitive behaviour therapy in a couple of months.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
No one should dictate your happiness.
I understand that but when someone you love betrays you, it's hard not to be affected by it greatly.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM

29,771 posts, read 34,491,950 times
There's a line in a cheesy teen movie I saw that was something like "we accept the love we think we deserve." So in a conscious or subconscious way you are drawn to this kind of men because you think you deserve them. Either you've got the worst picker in history, or you're overlooking a lot of suspect behavior and red flags for the sake of having a man.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's a line in a cheesy teen movie I saw that was something like "we accept the love we think we deserve." So in a conscious or subconscious way you are drawn to this kind of men because you think you deserve them. Either you've got the worst picker in history, or you're overlooking a lot of suspect behavior and red flags for the sake of having a man.

Yeah i always saw red flags early on but ignored it because i thought i "liked them too much" and just told myself everything would be ok. Later on I would tell myself they would change but they never did. I learned my lessons now.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,089,585 times
Quote:
I understand that but when someone you love betrays you, it's hard not to be affected by it greatly.
Sure, but there's a difference in being temporarily upset emotionally and letting someone affect who you are and how you interact with others, such as ignoring red flags.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Sure, but there's a difference in being temporarily upset emotionally and letting someone affect who you are and how you interact with others, such as ignoring red flags.
Is it worth of risk of having emotional trauma to be with someone and have a life together? :'(

Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,226,599 times
Quote:
Is it worth of risk of having emotional trauma to be with someone and have a life together? :'(
That's up for you to decide.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 PM

524 posts, read 523,357 times
Quote:

A man can't make you happy. Your happiness is your responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships