Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:27 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times

Advertisements

Never mind those "compatibility tests", if you are going OLD you have to try no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Curious to hear about people's experiences! I've also been toying with the idea myself as I almost never message someone who doesn't have a match percentage with me that is at least in the 70s.

I love the matching algorithm, but heard I don't think it's absolute or anything. I've heard of instances where people had low percentages and still got along.

Also, there is a big flaw on the site in that the number of questions aren't taken into account when determining the percentage. So, if someone answers only 5 questions and you answered 2,000 they could have a really low percentage with you or a really high one. However, if they took the time to answer that many questions their match percentage with you could completely flip.
Interestingly I just took a look the other day as I haven't been on for ages. Decided to snoop around a bit (even though I'm not really looking) and it seems like the matching is completely broken now. Reading through a few high-match profiles they didn't seem to have much in common with my interests.

Had an attractive girl message me (match mid-90's, which is about as high of a match as I get) & either it was a guy pretending to be a girl (it's surprising how common that is) just to mess with people or she had gone off her meds. Basically she just straight up baited me and after I fell for it went on a rant. Guess that's what I get for being polite and answering her message?

Anyway it seems to have gone downhill quite a bit as far as the quality goes. Not sure what the deal is with the likes, but I seem to be almost to 100 now.

Tried to switch it over to new people as I figured the sane ones hop on, say to themselves, "Oh, hell no," and leave after a short time if their matches were anything like the likes of what I was seeing only to find they have removed it.

Enemy % is still there, but no new? Seriously who needs to be matched with their "enemy" on there?

As for the low match I figure anything above 50-60% is worth looking at. Think most people are going to the apps instead of online sites now however.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,547 times
I never really paid attention to it. I think it's stupid and doesn't really matter that much. Maybe because I live in a smallish town, and there aren't very many people on there, which means there's usually maybe only a few people that I would even be interested in. So you pretty much just have to meet and find out for yourself, if you have any chemistry and are attracted, and vice versa.

also, didn't really notice until someone sent me a message mentioning it, that I'm a 0% match with pretty much everyone. even people I've dated and liked. haha. thought that was hilarious. even more proof it's meaningless.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post

Enemy % is still there, but no new? .

Seems the site has removed the "Who's New" selection.
Makes it about worthless if you're only looking in a small area and have been through the ones on there.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Seems the site has removed the "Who's New" selection.
Makes it about worthless if you're only looking in a small area and have been through the ones on there.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

Plus the way I see it if they are active & have been there forever they are:

1. Undateable.
2. Looking for hookups/keep falling for BS.
3. Seeking attention/entertainment.

Most of those who seemed to be worth my time were newer and hadn't dealt with 100s of lame come-on messages yet. They tended to leave after a short time either being snatched up as a catch or just becoming overwhelmed.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:22 AM

^that's what I thought too, which is why I talked to the last guy I dated when he messaged me, since I knew he was new, and wasn't one of those guys who had been on there for a while. I thought he seemed great, and if I didn't meet him, someone else would realize how great he was. and, he did seem great, in a lot of ways, but it didn't work out. then he start dating someone else right after me (or before), and that didn't work out either. then he was back on there for months, and apparently found someone finally. though that probably won't last either. the online thing seems to be a sucker for people, which is what I thought might happen with him, unfortunately. seemed like such a nice guy before, but now just seems like a sleazy player. I guess, when you can just get on your phone, sit there and sift through girls...why not?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM

352 posts, read 234,131 times
I was on OKC awhile back, briefly. Recently have re posted my profile there.

So far (this time) I've met one physically attracted but low percentage gal that turned out to be fine, as well as a high percentage one that's seemingly working out as well (so far). It's too early to tell how things will land but the point is- you really don't know until you meet.

That said- I concur now with many of the comments I've read here about OKC recently. Seems to be a LOT of long time, old profiles, possible fakes, strange fishy profiles.
Can't quite put my finger on it yet but it appears OKC is on the down slide (?).... but I don't take it too seriously to begin with.....

Old 03-14-2017, 02:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I wouldn't remember because the OK Cupid match was something I didn't pay attention to whatsoever.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
^that's what I thought too, which is why I talked to the last guy I dated when he messaged me, since I knew he was new, and wasn't one of those guys who had been on there for a while.

I guess, when you can just get on your phone, sit there and sift through girls...why not?
After nice guys get screwed over by a serious relationship gone sour they usually end up going down the player route or more recently just give up.

I'm torn because I found it was good for meeting girls who I normally wouldn't meet or when I did they'd be rare to my social circles & typically taken (I tend to date out & geeky sorts). So one the one hand it's kind of crap, but on the other it may in the end be a necessary evil.

Also miss the days when the alternative type who dyed their hair bright colors were actually likely to be interesting vs. today when it's a mixed bag. I blame the pop stars.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
After nice guys get screwed over by a serious relationship gone sour they usually end up going down the player route or more recently just give up.
I thought that kind of seemed like what happened with that guy. I didn't really find out about the ex until we started dating, and he started talking about her (and still had all her stuff), even though he would say that it was "mutual" or his idea to break up and that he didn't want her anyway. but, then why are you still talking about her, and still have all her stuff. I just figured, since I had never really been in a serious/long relationship, that it must be depressing after your first love finally falls apart. I guess, maybe everything after that...idk. guess it's a good thing I never had that.

Quote:
Also miss the days when the alternative type who dyed their hair bright colors were actually likely to be interesting vs. today when it's a mixed bag.
ha...wow. If dying your hair an unnatural color is a sign of being interesting...then I guess it's good I don't, because anyone interested just because they could spot my hair from a mile away...probably isn't someone I really want to get to know anyway. I would prefer someone actually be more interested in me as a person, than some artificial accoutrement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships