Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:01 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Wow, why do you put up with this?

Probably the same way you can't concentrate knowing that someone isn't there for you. People have all kinds reasons why they do the things they do, one should give that a thought once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msross67 View Post
This question is directed toward Men, about Finances, and the role a Man should take as "Head of Household."

You are living with your Girlfriend (whom you have asked to Marry), and you make 3 times what she makes. The agreement upon move-in is that you two will split the bills 50/50.

Your Live in Girlfriend does all of the housework, buys all of the groceries, even does the Yard Work, and is a Single Parent to a child from a previous Marriage. You both Work Full-Time Jobs.

As a Man, would you feel bad about only contributing half, (considering you make 3 times as much as your future wife)?

As the Man of the house, If a bill in the amount of $125 is due, would you give your Live in Girlfriend EXACTLY $62.50?

Would you ask your "Live In Girlfriend" if she needed help with any extra financial or household expenses, or would you offer to pay more than your share of the household bills?
If i loved her (and she loved me), I would offer to pay her bills and mine and be very grateful for her love and the contributions she makes to our household and relationship. If she declined this and wanted to contribute more, I would respect her wishes and be even more grateful. I would also contribute more effort to household and family work.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:33 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,564 times
I've never really been in that situation. If I found someone I could live with I wouldn't mind picking up the tab. I live way below my means though..

If I was tapped out like a lot of people I don't know how I would react.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:45 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
So it's your house and your fiancé is paying half of the expenses? Are you better off than before?

Personally I wouldn't be thrilled with an arrangement where my partner didn't share the chores, especially if I worked full time, too. He sounds selfish. Are you sure he's not just your housemate?

I want a man who participates in our home life, beyond providing sexual services. Mutual generousity goes a long way to build and maintain a relationship. You can't be doing all of the work.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 AM

964 posts, read 994,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

I want a man who participates in our home life, beyond providing sexual services. Mutual generousity goes a long way to build and maintain a relationship. You can't be doing all of the work.
This. Love is about generosity, not whipping out the calculator every day to see if the 50/50 rule has been abided by.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:53 AM

964 posts, read 994,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I can't believe that nobody's brought this up, but here's my opinion. This guy still has one foot out the door. He's enjoying living in a home rather than an apartment for probably the same or less than what he was paying alone and he's "getting the milk for free" all the while. He's letting this situation roll until you wise up and throw him out. The proposal was just his way in.
The irony is that while she's providing everything but 1/2 the expenses, the divorce trolls were accusing her of angling to confiscate half his assets through marriage and eventual divorce. She has as much to lose in the bargain as he does, if not more, considering that she doesn't make enough to buy another home if she were to lose hers in a divorce. Pre-nups all around for this couple, if they even make it to the church, which looks doubtful.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:58 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I could hardly get past the thinking that a man should be taking the 'role' as 'head of the household', and quite frankly if that is the type of guy you were looking for it sounds like you found him.

This sounds like a roommate or boarder, not a love interest. Someone making a relationship with a single parent accepts that children are a part of the package. No BS about insisting that since the child isn't your own child you feel no consideration for the child's well being financially.

If you feel that 50/50 sounds like the way it should be then go with 50/50 on the income, not the expenses. You contribute 50% of your income and he can contribute 50% of his to a 'household account. Anything left after bills at the end of the year goes to a vacation, either as a family or as a romantic getaway. If he insists that is 'not fair' I would run fast and far, otherwise your life will be spent accounting for every penny you spend on yourself and your child.
Or if you really want to see which way the land lies figure up how much you have invested in your home and furnishings and present him with a bill for half. Offer to let him make monthly payments until he 'catches up' with what you have invested so far.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,377 times
This is why I avoid live-in arrangements. 50/50 is the correct way to go, but everybody has their own definition of what equal partnership and equal responsibilities should be.

I would split bills...my house is my mortgage, so I wouldn't want anything for that unless she absolutely HAS to volunteer to pay towards it in place of the rent I would be saving her. Gas/electricity/water is all affected by her being present, so it's only common sense to split these 50/50 or have her make-up the increase should it go up astronomically. TV and entertainment expenses should be negotiated and split as well since both people will be using whatever is agreed upon.

Food should either be 50/50 and bought together outright, or costs split for meals and shared foods with individual purchases being bought and kept on the side with your own money.

House chores are whatever you want them to be. I do all of my own stuff, so none of that really phases me; I don't see why two people can't evenly just go about things as they need to. But overall, living alone is far....far...far easier and better for a guy to do in my oppinion though.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:44 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
He's simply a roommate, paying his half. Or renting space in your house.

Any wedding plans?

Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Simple math really.

She pays 2/3rds or she can take a hike.

1/3 for her self

1/3 for her child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships