Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,686,706 times

Advertisements

Towards the end of high school my friends and I wrote out lists of qualities we wanted in a boyfriend. At the top of my list I wrote: high intelligence.

That was the only thing I was truly concerned about... I included it only because the boy I had fallen in love at band camp the summer before junior year was, indeed, the smartest and most educated boy I had ever met. His parents were doctors. We didn't have any of those types of kids where I grew up. Talking to him was like opening a door to a whole new world. I loved it.

In college I had dated a man who grew up from very poor immigrant family, but he was incredibly bright and was on a full scholarship and earning an engineering degree. I really liked that. Unfortunately, you can receive an education, yet remain uneducated... maybe a few of you know what I mean when I say that...

well, in any case, it didn't work.

The man I went on to marry was every bit as articulate and intelligent as the boy I met in high school. Also an immigrant, but unlike my ex-fiance, this man came from a very educated family with a little bit of money. He was working as an engineer when we got married, but has since earned a PhD, worked as a research professor and a project manager at a high tech company. He's been interviewing for an executive position last couple weeks... it would put us in the top 1%.. but it's in China and we decided last night we're happier here (and staying in the top 6% ).

I don't know if it matters too much what he does. I was happy when he was making half his current income as a college professor. I was happy when he was making half that income as a freshly graduated engineer... I was happy with him when he was making $27k as a graduate student....

I'm just happy with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 PM

50 posts, read 54,707 times
I don't really care what my husband does. As long as he helps pay our bills, it has never mattered to me.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:47 AM

429 posts, read 391,393 times
I'm single but in the market for a husband. It absolutely would matter what the profession and income of my future hubby is. I'm looking for a particular lifestyle and want to be around certain types of people. I don't want to live in a crappy neighborhood in a shyte looking property. I don't want to be around trashy people. My parents were comfortable middle class. I expect to be same if not better. Ideally better. So of course somebody with a good education, good income. No, I don't want somebody whom I have to $ support. NOPE. No freeloading loafer men for me.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:40 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,096,758 times
I honestly do care about the profession. Some professions totally put me off for whatever reason (like ones working directly with preparing dead bodies), while I also don't want someone who is away at work all the time or is in a very dangerous profession/a profession that puts them in danger more than usual. I would also hate my spouse to be a business owner; nearly everyone in my family owns businesses and, while they make very good money, it takes heavy tolls on them that I don't want my spouse to endure. Preferably, my spouse has a job he/she enjoys doing.

As for income, I don't really care for it, although another poster made a great point about income matching the debt they come into the relationship with. After all I cannot be too picky, I'm in school to be a public school teacher, something I always dreamed about, and people around me seem to say that many women wouldn't want to commit to a spouse with such a profession.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,817,714 times
My wife must have a very good income...I have expensive taste.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 PM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I was raised in the era when most women only went to college to snag a professional husband. This worked for me, however the professional man was not much fun to live with. Husband number two, made his own successful business from pure guts and passion.
Bottom line is, I want a man who is passionate about his work, and who is an alpha. I don't care if he owns a line of garbage trucks, a car wash, or if he's the best brain surgeon in town, either way, it works for me.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,389,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
I'm single but in the market for a husband. It absolutely would matter what the profession and income of my future hubby is. I'm looking for a particular lifestyle and want to be around certain types of people. I don't want to live in a crappy neighborhood in a shyte looking property. I don't want to be around trashy people. My parents were comfortable middle class. I expect to be same if not better. Ideally better. So of course somebody with a good education, good income. No, I don't want somebody whom I have to $ support. NOPE. No freeloading loafer men for me.
Your post has me laughing. Not that what you want is bad. Those are all great things. I always say go for your dreams. I would ask what are you doing to make sure that you can attract that kind of person?

I am reminded by a joke.

This one guy is sitting there looking about as depressed as can be. A friend asked what the problem was.

The depressed guy said he had spent years looking for the perfect girl. He then says he finally found her.

The friend says, if you found the perfect girl why are you so deppressed? You should be happy.

This sad sap tells his friend that he was happy at first, untill she told him she was looking for the perfect man.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,858,168 times
not important at all.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was raised in the era when most women only went to college to snag a professional husband. This worked for me, however the professional man was not much fun to live with. Husband number two, made his own successful business from pure guts and passion.
Bottom line is, I want a man who is passionate about his work, and who is an alpha. I don't care if he owns a line of garbage trucks, a car wash, or if he's the best brain surgeon in town, either way, it works for me.
You speak a truth that resonates with me!

My mom even bought my husband a shirt that says "Alpha" on it!

Yum.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,383,909 times
I have been married 3x. I had a husband who was in a rock band and made just enough to get by. I had a husband who liked his work just "OK" and made a typical middle class salary. I had a husband who made really a lot of money and tolerated his job.

So for me the answer is how well the job supports the mutual agreed upon lifestyle so the whole family is happy. Best when spouse loves his work but for me the first consideration is the lifestyle issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships