Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,788 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend of almost 4 years just broke up a couple weeks ago...after the first two weeks of crying and begging her to come back and her ignoring me, we started talking again. We have been talking as friends and stuff like that here lately, I convinced her to Skype with me last night so we could talk about the relationship. She insisted that we take a break, we can try again in June (about 2 months from now). She kept saying that she loves me so much and cares for me and can't imagine being with anyone else, and that we will get back together again for sure. She did her best to reassure me of that, and I believe her.

She just said that she needs these 2 months to work on herself and I should take them and work on myself as well, that we were each other's only source of happiness and that is why our relationship fell apart. And I agree with her, we both pushed our family/friends away and focused on nothing but each other - and the small things, any imperfections at all, would turn into a fight. I really believe that she will give me another chance after these 2 months, but I just want some advice from some outsiders. Should I respect her wishes of taking a break and not contact her until June? Or should I try to convince her of something else? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 PM

92 posts, read 70,122 times
Move on, break are a way for people to sleep with other people without making the boyfriend mad

Old 03-23-2016, 08:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooblemm View Post
Me and my girlfriend of almost 4 years just broke up a couple weeks ago...after the first two weeks of crying and begging her to come back and her ignoring me, we started talking again. We have been talking as friends and stuff like that here lately, I convinced her to Skype with me last night so we could talk about the relationship. She insisted that we take a break, we can try again in June (about 2 months from now). She kept saying that she loves me so much and cares for me and can't imagine being with anyone else, and that we will get back together again for sure. She did her best to reassure me of that, and I believe her.

She just said that she needs these 2 months to work on herself and I should take them and work on myself as well, that we were each other's only source of happiness and that is why our relationship fell apart. And I agree with her, we both pushed our family/friends away and focused on nothing but each other - and the small things, any imperfections at all, would turn into a fight. I really believe that she will give me another chance after these 2 months, but I just want some advice from some outsiders. Should I respect her wishes of taking a break and not contact her until June? Or should I try to convince her of something else? Thanks in advance.
Heck yes, you should respect her wishes.

Think about it... do you REALLY want to be with someone you have to BEG and "convince" to stay??????

Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Chances are good that there's someone else. Its been my experience (and I haven't been wrong yet) when someone asks for a break, it means let me date this other person and if it doesn't work out I call you in a couple months, or sooner.

Best to move on. And don't ever again beg.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
In this and other dilemmas...

Don't chase her. Replace her.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 PM

I misspoke. I did not beg her to stay while on Skype, I begged her to stay right after she broke up with me a month or so ago....that stage has passed. From what she told me on Skype, she does want to be with me and does love me, but just wants a 2 month break. And I am not sure how to handle that, I just don't understand it. Looking for words of wisdom.

And I appreciate all your responses, however I am 100% sure that it is not because of someone else. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooblemm View Post
I misspoke. I did not beg her to stay while on Skype, I begged her to stay right after she broke up with me a month or so ago....that stage has passed. From what she told me on Skype, she does want to be with me and does love me, but just wants a 2 month break. And I am not sure how to handle that, I just don't understand it. Looking for words of wisdom.

And I appreciate all your responses, however I am 100% sure that it is not because of someone else. Thanks!
Frankly, the timeline doesn't matter. That's not the point.

She has told you and continues to tell you what she wants. She does not want to be with you right now.

Heed her.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
This is the most frustrating relationship to be in. One person has feelings or is in love, and the other person isn't. It sucks, but a relationship can only work if both people have the same feelings.

Leave her alone. If she still wants a relationship, she will be back. If not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I think she is trying to let you down easy and the "two months" buys her some more time. I don't think there is necessarily someone else, but she's trying to put some distance between the two of you. But don't freak out over that the act desperate to get back with her. Try to focus on other things for two months and then see what happens, knowing that she MIGHT tell you she doesn't want to be with you. If she does, you have to respect that.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think she is trying to let you down easy and the "two months" buys her some more time. I don't think there is necessarily someone else, but she's trying to put some distance between the two of you. But don't freak out over that the act desperate to get back with her. Try to focus on other things for two months and then see what happens, knowing that she MIGHT tell you she doesn't want to be with you. If she does, you have to respect that.
I don't think she is trying to let me down easy. She promised me that I will have another chance after these two months have passed, and I am (foolishly?) holding onto that. We both agreed that we will not contact each other throughout these 2 months, and give each other space.

Her reasoning for taking this break is that our problems as a couple were never solved with talking - we had excellent communication and always talked when we were bothered in any way, but obviously some problems were not fixed by talking, together. And she is saying that by trying to solve the problems independently maybe we will be more successful, in the end. Not sure.

Hell, maybe you are right. Just trying to stay optimistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships