Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 04:57 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I guess I should clarify that the people that have grown on me were people that I spent a lot of time with - whether through school or work or mutual friends. They didn't grow on me while I was dating them. What I mean is - I never dated someone that I wasn't actually attracted to in the hopes that they would grow on me. I spent time with these guys, they grew on me, I realized I was very attracted to them, and then we would go from there.
Yep.

Nope.

That never happened to me either.

In fact, when well-meaning relatives and busybodies would say things like, "give him a chance, maybe he'll grow on you," my response was, "you mean like a fungus?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Yep.

Nope.

That never happened to me either.

In fact, when well-meaning relatives and busybodies would say things like, "give him a chance, maybe he'll grow on you," my response was, "you mean like a fungus?"
Well, I've never had anyone forcefully grow on me - if you know what I mean. I've never purposely tried to give someone a chance in the hope that attraction would grow.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
No never happened to me,except I did know a guy for years never thought anything of him then last year suddenly fell in love with him,very odd.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:53 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
By that I mean at first meet, he or she is, well, just another person. You've most likely never looked at them a second time - even if you did, you friend-zoned the person..
But as time passes, you find yourself becoming interested in him or her. slowly. Before you realize it, you're striking up a conversation, getting to know them better. Eventually, you're asking them out to coffee, lunch, or even dinner.

Experiences?
A couple notable experiences started out with not liking each other at all. Just plain old genuine dislike. Thoughts of becoming close and intimate were completely dismissed, out of hand. If we were in a situation where we had to interact, due to mutual friends, it was Winter in Siberia twixt us. Then, as time went on, in both these situations, one day we were in the same old same old, and suddenly, it was a 180° flip. An icefield one minute, and a wild fire the next, with neither of us having a clue as to what changed. With one, we dated and had great times for two years, and when we first met, and for some time after, we couldn't stand each other. This gal hadn't even talked to me , she was put off at introductions, and we ended up in a pretty...warm...relationship. I still don't know what changed, or why, but, I remember it , fondly. Lol

Old 04-03-2016, 10:15 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Never to me, but I just tried doing that with the last girl, me growing on her.

Yeah, it started to work about a year later, but then I realized that this shouldn't be that difficult, and hasn't ever been for me in the past. I didn't really much care for the experience and I won't be subject to this ever again.

If I like you but you say that it takes time for you to like someone, I gotta go and find someone that doesn't take time. Not fair to me.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:27 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I guess my wife and I fall here. Roommates (I was with someone else at the time) and she did her best to fit into my circle of friends. At first we had so little in common. After I broke up with GF she spent a lot of time with me.... made me feel better. After a few years we became good friends and did everything together... at some point it was kinda odd predicament. We were neither here or there... we didn't know what we had. Our friends started to assume we were a couple even before we made it official. After a lot of soul searching we both came to the realization that neither wanted to move on in life without each other.... so we stayed together and eventually got married.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I guess my wife and I fall here. Roommates (I was with someone else at the time) and she did her best to fit into my circle of friends. At first we had so little in common. After I broke up with GF she spent a lot of time with me.... made me feel better. After a few years we became good friends and did everything together... at some point it was kinda odd predicament. We were neither here or there... we didn't know what we had. Our friends started to assume we were a couple even before we made it official. After a lot of soul searching we both came to the realization that neither wanted to move on in life without each other.... so we stayed together and eventually got married.
That's a very unusual situation.

No disrespect.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:59 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
That's a very unusual situation.

No disrespect.
My early life was unusual.... no disrespect taken. Kinda glad things now has less drama.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:28 PM

458 posts, read 329,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think it's called close quarters syndrome.

I once had a gal that grew on me like a fungus. We went out for a while, but it did not work out.
Fungus. Nice. lol That's what every gal aspires to be!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
No, although my significant other straight-up told me he likes me more now than he did when we were a new couple.

I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and/or see the best in people from the get-go and they gradually chip away at that and ruin it by becoming disappointing overtime. I highly doubt I could ever grow more attracted to someone who didn't do it for me in the beginning. It's usually the opposite, like I'll find reasons why someone I found attractive would be better-suited as a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships