Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times

Advertisements

So I have been talking to this guy for about 2 months, (I really like him) and last night he even talked to me about having a talk with my dad to make our relationship official.. Well today while I was sitting in church, he texts me randomly asking if I know a girl he is apparently good friends with. I say I do know her, and he tells me that she asked him to her prom and he said yes. He didn't even ask my input in it really, it makes me kinda upset that he just automatically said yes to her. I played it off acting like I was okay with it, telling him that I trust him. But in reality, it makes me really upset. I am a freshman in highschool and he is a junior as well as the girl. He told me he "couldn't say no" to this girl because of how close they are. I have no idea if this girl has feelings for him or not, I don't even know her very well, but apparently they are just friends and have been for about 2 years. What should I do? Is it wrong of him to be going with this girl when he is dating me? Or am I overreacting? I am also going with this guy to our school's prom.
**note that this girl used to go to the same school as us and she got expelled for drinking at a party and lying about it. (we go to a private school.) there were also rumors that he and this girl had sex which he denied when I asked him about it, trying to assure me they are friends and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Sure, I'd be suspicious. My question to you is whether or not you are exclusively dating each other. Your feelings are your feelings, though you don't have a case with him unless you're exclusive (you shoulda put a ring on it, so to speak if you didn't want him to see others and he agreed).

Old 04-17-2016, 06:22 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
What school knows or cares what students do outside of school? What school expels someone for drinking at a party?? They'd have to expel a lot of students if they applied that rule evenly across the board. This makes no sense. It's not the 1950's.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
You only have one choice. Don't worry about it because there's nothing you can do. If you're a good sport and keep your cool, then everything should get back to normal after the prom.

If you get upset, he might be less likely to be honest with you.

Sounds like he knows it hurt your feelings. Time to drop the subject.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Ask him if it is OK if you go on dates with guy friends of yours.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
You should have expressed your true feelings and not supportive lies.

Apparently you don't understand what happens on prom night. My understanding is somebody is going to get lucky if they spend all that money to dress up.

You have every right to express your feelings about this being a bad idea.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What school knows or cares what students do outside of school? What school expels someone for drinking at a party?? They'd have to expel a lot of students if they applied that rule evenly across the board. This makes no sense. It's not the 1950's.
She said it was a private school. They can do such a thing.

Public schools also often have rules in place regarding behavior outside of school for certain things and some groups of students. High school athletes have been suspended from their teams for drinking/drugs at many schools. Not the same as suspension, but it does happen.

Schools often are concerned with student activity outside of the building--think about Columbine. Certainly schools become concerned when students post things that are threatening on social media.

Young people really don't understand that posts/pictures/texts, etc. posted online are forever and easily seen by many.

Last edited by rrah; 04-17-2016 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-17-2016, 11:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi12345 View Post
...He didn't even ask my input in it really, it makes me kinda upset that he just automatically said yes to her. I played it off acting like I was okay with it, telling him that I trust him. But in reality, it makes me really upset. I am a freshman in highschool and he is a junior as well as the girl. He told me he "couldn't say no" to this girl because of how close they are. I have no idea if this girl has feelings for him or not, I don't even know her very well, but apparently they are just friends and have been for about 2 years.
Tell him how you really feel about it but accept that he's made a commitment and will have to honor it. It appears he's doing the other girl a favor. With that said, in the future (with this guy and everyone else), be honest with your thoughts/feelings.

[clear communication is fundamental]

Old 04-18-2016, 12:08 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This seems to be a catch phrase on this site. lol

Anyhow, your feelings are your feelings. How you handle them is what counts. If you don't trust this guy, and his friendship and closeness with another girl make you mistrust, then you may need to rethink dating him, especially if it's only been 2 months and exclusivity hasn't happened, or just recently occurred.

If you wanna continue to see him, then you may have to accept this girl, as he has apparently been close to her for a few years now. So he probably isn't going to just cut her off.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,904 times
Yes, you should also go out with another guy to the same prom and let him know it's no biggie. You are doing the kid a favor.

#ProblemSolved

%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships