Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 02:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
You're an attractive woman and they get a pass for being shy.

You're sweet and a gentleman. I felt very invisible as a shy girl. I was all alone until I forced myself to stop looking so silent and forbidding, LOL. And yes, to approach even if not say in so many words "Do you want to go out on a date?" Because the other girls walked right up to the boys to talk or tease and if you snoozed...you lost.

It is likely different for men who have more of the onus (generally) in doing the asking so I'm not minimizing how men feel about this issue.

Being shy can be terribly hard and it is a very big effort to "make" oneself approach and be approachable. It's a daily struggle but I figure things could be worse so I try to keep it in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 02:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You're sweet and a gentleman. I felt very invisible as a shy girl. I was all alone until I forced myself to stop looking so silent and forbidding, LOL. And yes, to approach even if not say in so many words "Do you want to go out on a date?" Because the other girls walked right up to the boys to talk or tease and if you snoozed...you lost.

It is likely different for men who have more of the onus (generally) in doing the asking so I'm not minimizing how men feel about this issue.

Being shy can be terribly hard and it is a very big effort to "make" oneself approach and be approachable. It's a daily struggle but I figure things could be worse so I try to keep it in perspective.
I must admit you are one of the last people I'd ever thought were shy at one point , your terrific now and I'm sure you were back then but still can't picture it LOL.

I completely agree with it being a huge step for someone shy to approach, I feel guilty at times to screaming at people to appoach as its easy enough for me and without realising it's not so straight forward for some

But at times we've all got to step out of our " comfort zone " to get something and more often than not it works and usually all it takes is a nudge from a mate or even a stranger on the Internet

Old 04-30-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Women are utterly incapable of walking in a guy's shoes. She's shy, allegedly attractive, and does well with men. Women logic says that since she does well than so should a shy man.
Nope.

I don't feel I have a window into the male mind.

But I do know about being shy and literally shaking trying to say "hello" to any new person...even in an entirely non-romantic way.

If I did not literally white knuckle through this I'd never have a job, for example, I'd pretty much be a helpless recluse. I have literally vomited before job interviews. I have figured I'd blown it because of my shaking voice and wooden affect.

Sometimes, we have to do what makes us uncomfortable. That's part of life.

I don't know what it is to be a man. But I do know that sometimes, shy people do things that make them terribly uncomfortable. Out of necessity (like a job) - not horniness.

By the way, it's interesting that amid all this complaining that women apparently pretend to know how men feel, the complainers presume to know how women feel. We're cavalier about it, we're not empathetic, we don't know what it is because it's so easy to get a date, and so on.

Interesting that you guys know EXACTLY the female experience. But...we don't know yours and were jerks for apparently pretending that we do.

Hmm.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,821 times
Quote:
Nope.

I don't feel I have a window into the male mind.

But I do know about being shy and literally shaking trying to say "hello" to any new person...even in an entirely non-romantic way.

If I did not literally white knuckle through this I'd never have a job, for example, I'd pretty much be a helpless recluse. I have literally vomited before job interviews. I have figured I'd blown it because of my shaking voice and wooden affect.

Sometimes, we have to do what makes us uncomfortable. That's part of life.

I don't know what it is to be a man. But I do know that sometimes, shy people do things that make them terribly uncomfortable. Out of necessity (like a job) - not horniness.

By the way, it's interesting that amid all this complaining that women apparently pretend to know how men feel, the complainers presume to know how women feel. We're cavalier about it, we're not empathetic, we don't know what it is because it's so easy to get a date, and so on.

Interesting that you guys know EXACTLY the female experience. But...we don't know yours and were jerks for apparently pretending that we do.

Hmm.
Probably better than you do

Old 04-30-2016, 02:28 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't mind shy, but self-pity gets really old really fast.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Probably better than you do
Oh!

Again, so:

1. Women who presume to understand the male experience are cold, callous and of course, wrong.
2. You, singularly, know women BETTER than we women know ourselves but you are not cold, callous or wrong. Rather, you're psychic...or God? Not sure which.

Thanks for clearing this up, LOL.

No, you definitely don't understand nor empathize with the female experience, full stop. Not unless you've been kidding on approximately 98% of your posts on here, LOL.

So while I'm being conscious of your feelings and not presuming, how about you be conscious at least minimally and not presume, either? It's likely you don't understand nor empathize with women overall and it's definite that you don't understand better than we understand ourselves.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,821 times
Quote:
Oh!

Again, so:

1. Women who presume to understand the male experience are cold, callous and of course, wrong.
2. You, singularly, know women BETTER than we women know ourselves but you are not cold, callous or wrong. Rather, you're psychic...or God? Not sure which.

Thanks for clearing this up, LOL.

No, you definitely don't understand nor empathize with the female experience, full stop. Not unless you've been kidding on approximately 98% of your posts on here, LOL.

So while I'm being conscious of your feelings and not presuming, how about you be conscious at least minimally and not presume, either? It's likely you don't understand nor empathize with women overall and it's definite that you don't understand better than we understand ourselves.
Cold and callous? Never used those words.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Cold and callous? Never used those words.
You know, you're right.

...and have absolutely dodged the point.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
You're an attractive woman and they get a pass for being shy.
A lot of people assume shy, good looking women are cold and stuck up. I was shy in college and was shocked when male friends told me I was coming across as an Itch so to speak.

As for shy men, I don't think its dislike so much as your just not noticed because you are quiet. Personality does a lot for a man to make him stand out and you are basically not using all the tools to be noticed.

Last edited by BellaLind; 04-30-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-30-2016, 03:22 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
It's not.

Most actually shy men do not do well with women. A few winners doesn't negate the generality.
I disagree I find that shy men mostly have girlfriends and are good at keeping hold of them in a commited relationship, but struggle to " play the field " and sleep around in other words approach multiple women etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships