Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM

142 posts, read 505,935 times

Advertisements

One issue I've had in relationships is that men don't handle my independence well. So for the men on the forum, how important is it to you that your woman be dependant on you? And to what degree? Do you want us to be the helpless female who needs you to come to the rescue?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,232 times
I've had this issue too.

Grad school + working 50+ hours a week, not many men deal with it too well.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 AM

220 posts, read 364,004 times
Extremely independent.

A man who understand women and has a positive self image wants a woman to WANT him, not necessarily NEED him. Independent women who choose to spend their precious and valuable time with you are letting you know by default that they WANT to be with you. (not you literally..you as in man)

So if a guy has a problem with your independence, he is insecure and feels that the only way to keep a woman is for her to need him. That's a no bueno sign on his chest right off the bat. Look elsewhere.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I don't know if this is funny or sad! Women are advised to not be too clingy, because it drives guys away. I've never heard of them being advised to not be too independent. I would hope that there are guys out there with strong enough self-esteem that independence wouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM

220 posts, read 364,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know if this is funny or sad! Women are advised to not be too clingy, because it drives guys away. I've never heard of them being advised to not be too independent. I would hope that there are guys out there with strong enough self-esteem that independence wouldn't be an issue.

Ruth, there are plenty. A lot of men go for women who need them and therefore dependent on them because it 'locks' them in. Men are typically paranoid by nature and a lot of them are scared of independent women because they are insecure in the belief that their personality alone is enough to keep a good woman.

This is why I see a lot of guys go for the needy types. Single mothers, the unemployed, the shy or socially awkward, or the overweight.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandAmused View Post
A man who understand women and has a positive self image wants a woman to WANT him, not necessarily NEED him. Independent women who choose to spend their precious and valuable time with you are letting you know by default that they WANT to be with you. (not you literally..you as in man)
Pretty much covers it.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,302 times
it's subjective and depends on the individual, but attitude and personality can determine whether you're compatible.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM

23 posts, read 33,258 times
I'm all to familiar with this scenario as well. I'm wondering if it's where I live but men here run from independant women. I am about as independant as they come. I have a good paying job, pay my own rent, bills, etc. However, men just loathe and despise this independance. It's almost like they want someone they can rescue, or possibly just control? I'm thinking the latter. I tend to be very sturdy in what I expect out of people so that may not help either as I'm not going to give any leeway to someone who is 35 and lives in their Mama's basement, per say. But from my recent experience, just about every man in my area is either a) already married b) gay or c) jobless living on their parents couch. I have yet to meet any man who is not in that category.

Not man bashing because I know of very good men out there, I'm just saying it like I see it.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
I've encountered my share of guys who prefer a less independent woman. Mainly so they can feel needed, like they're taking care of her, etc. I've met a few who were uncomfortable with women who were too independent, or else found it a turnof.

I know I've seen threads on CD before where it seems some en associate "independent woman" with "nagging, shrewish witch", which I find interesting.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Some men like women who are clingy and some like women who are independent. There is no such thing as all men like women who are clingy or all men like women who are independent. Men's tastes are varied and some men even like both! You just have to find the right man who likes what you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships