Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:52 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
For one, I'm not "mooning over underage girls from my past." This girl isn't that much younger (only around two years), and it's just sick to hear accusations along those lines. I'm also going out and meeting girls my age, but I'm not with anyone ATM.

Since everyone believes this is a bad idea, I won't do it. Like I said, I'm speaking to people I know right now in person, so it's not like I've been hung over this one girl in particular. If everyone believes I shouldn't do it and that social media isn't a good place to meet others (relationship-wise), I'll definitely take the advice.
I would stick with what you're doing now, engaging with women in person. You've asked about connecting via social media before and I am wondering whether you're not very comfortable with face-to-face interaction in this regard. If that's the case, being with women in realtime is probably the right solution, IMO. You'll get more comfortable with the whole process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I do. But I was also a teenager. I dated older guys. My high school boyfriend was four years older. Even now I date a guy that was in middle school when I graduated from high school. Age is only a number.
After a certain maturity point age is just a number, but a couple/few years when one is under, say, 18-22 is seriously huge.

I mean it should be obvious, right? Growth starts off very fast (including emotional growth) and slows down on a trajectory over time. So for example, the difference between a 6-month-old and an 18-month-old is so gigantic as to almost be ridiculous. The difference between a 4-year-old and a 5-year-old may be that the 5-year-old now has had daily experience in a school setting, may have learned in the past year how to read, ride a bicycle and other big leaps, making the 4-year-old seem like "a baby" by comparison.

The difference between a freshman and a senior is also tremendous. I know people do this, and I knew kids who DID do this, but seriously...it's a whole different ballgame. Physical maturation, emotional maturation, intellectual knowledge, where one is in one's life (just entering the "big leagues" school v., say, driving and prepping for SATs) is a really giant one. It just is. And the step between still being in high school, and being in or having graduated college is one serious life stage and again, you're talking about two completely different worlds.

Now...if you're talking a 28-year-old with a 32-year-old, obviously that's a different story. 40 with 36, 80 with 76, I mean you get the picture, LOL, over time there isn't functionally, emotionally, intellectually or otherwise a "difference" at all.

This is really just common sense and anyone can observe it.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
OP: Wait until she is 18 years old (legally an adult) then make a decision as to the proper approach.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP: Wait until she is 18 years old (legally an adult) then make a decision as to the proper approach.
How old is the OP? I thought he said she is only two years younger than he?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I've had my mind on an old high school crush for the past few months, but I don't know this girl personally. She was in my gym period, and I only know her name from a yearbook. We've never spoken, and I graduated high school a few years back and she just graduated so I'm a few years older. She's like a crush from afar, basically. I understand, at this point, I can't really make a move through social media (Facebook, Instagram) without making the situation awkward. Also, I can't really make any move that doesn't revolve around social media at the same time. So, knowing this info, where should I go from here? Say I sent a message, how should I word it? I could say something like "Hi we went to the same high school and had the same gym period, and I thought you were cute but never got a chance to say hi" but this might creep her out. At the same time, I'm sure some would find this flattering, and at the same time I wouldn't know what else to say considering we've never spoken. I don't have much to work with, but also nothing to lose. I don't know where she's going to college, but I have the whole summer in front of me.

Also, I know I've posted similar threads in the past, but this one is the biggest long shot. However, I've been speaking to a few other girls (keeping my options open), so I won't be too upset if nothing happens with this girl. So, any advice? Thanks!
Send her a PM on facebook, since you're obviously not facebook friends yet - word it like this.

Hello 'Pat'...
We went to school together and were in the same gym class. Saw your picture wanted to say hello.
Hope you're doing well.

Plain, to the point, and see what happens.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
How old is the OP? I thought he said she is only two years younger than he?
I'm only 20, I'm in college.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Send her a PM on facebook, since you're obviously not facebook friends yet - word it like this.

Hello 'Pat'...
We went to school together and were in the same gym class. Saw your picture wanted to say hello.
Hope you're doing well.

Plain, to the point, and see what happens.
Right. What' s the big deal about doing this? She's either going to reply with friendly answer or she'll ignore it.
Certainly less intrusive than going up to complete strangers in a bar or grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships