Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times

Advertisements

Man, this is gonna be good. I better get the pop corn out!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 PM

264 posts, read 183,369 times
Apply the 48 hour rule….

If you purchase something, bring it home and leave it somewhere it belongs, not hidden, but not obvious, after it's been there for at least 48 hours when your wife brings it up you can say "that old thing? I've had that for a while…."

Personally I wouldn't ask, I'd just bring it home, but 1.) I love bikes and have had them since I was a kid and 2) that might be part of why I'm divorced now…...

Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
I have two, and the truth is, its really not a safe way to commute.

You have to take some things in consideration before getting one:

Do you know how to drive one?
Weather: Will you be able to drive year round?
Traffic- how busy is the traffic in your surrounding area. People in cars is your number 1 enemy.
Family/Kids: Motorcycles are very dangerous no matter how experienced you are.

As a long time motorcycle rider, I have not met one person driving a motorcycle on a daily basis (including myself) that hasn't been hurt on one.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
You want to save money on gas. She's going to be a nervous wreck every time you go out.

This can't be a serious issue.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherethenotsare View Post
I have been thinking for a long time about getting one, not to do anything crazy or like that but I think it would still be fun and convenient to save on gas car payment etc.

The thing is my wife is really against it because a few years ago her brother died on one. Whenever I have brought the subject up she always says absolutely not.
I think most of the women here will be with your wife on this one, OP. I certainly am.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Apply the 48 hour rule….

If you purchase something, bring it home and leave it somewhere it belongs, not hidden, but not obvious, after it's been there for at least 48 hours when your wife brings it up you can say "that old thing? I've had that for a while…."

Personally I wouldn't ask, I'd just bring it home, but 1.) I love bikes and have had them since I was a kid and 2) that might be part of why I'm divorced now…...
lol! Great post. Thanks for the honesty at the end, too.

I think the closest I'd ever get to owning or riding on a bike would be a little electric or gas-powered one that I could ride in the bike lanes, parks, and the sidewalk (in its non-motorized mode).

Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
A whole bunch of people are urging a couple in another thread to get counseling or divorce because the wife got a haircut that the husband hates, so you may as well do what you want.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 PM

993 posts, read 767,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherethenotsare View Post
I have been thinking for a long time about getting one, not to do anything crazy or like that but I think it would still be fun and convenient to save on gas car payment etc.

The thing is my wife is really against it because a few years ago her brother died on one. Whenever I have brought the subject up she always says absolutely not.
She's lived the worst case scenario, of course she doesn't want you to have one. She'd worry every time you rode.

If you have kids, I think it's a risky idea. That said, if you do get one at least provide for your wife's future should you be in an accident. Buy plenty of life insurance, disability linsurance and long term care insurance. It will be pricey because you ride a motorcycle.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:42 PM

264 posts, read 183,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Great post. Thanks for the honesty at the end, too.
Worth noting….the 48 hour rule applies to any purchases by either partner in a relationship. So next time you buy something that you don't really want to fess up to, just make it more than 2 days and you're home free.

I should maybe mention that I got that rule from a guy that owns several old cars and several motorcycles. In his case I think his wife accepted it a long time ago.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Worth noting….the 48 hour rule applies to any purchases by either partner in a relationship. So next time you buy something that you don't really want to fess up to, just make it more than 2 days and you're home free.
OK, I'll remember that when I decide to splurge on a fur jacket. "Oh, that old thing?"

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships