Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 12:11 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ha, yeah, I don't really think I could sell things, I'm too brutally honest.

I'll be changing cities, part of that in addition to the newness process has me on edge. I'll need to make a new social group, but at the same time, every activity, restaurant, etc will be new, so that's cool.

I still have no idea how I'll relocate my fish tank.
You're lucky, I thought it was gonna pay more and be less taxing on the body. It is less taxing on the. Last but not the mind. I miss doing overhead doors (garage doors) and the only advantage is the flexible hours with this job. I can surf all morning and early afternoon, if there's a good sweep coming through. Rather than an 8:00-4:30 job. If not for that, I might go back to garage doors. I've enquired about a job in that industry just for fun and to see what they'd pay a guy like me down here. I have 5 years experience, not including side work I'd also do with my cousin starting when I was 15 or 16 and that I had done up until 6 or 7 years ago. I also did it for myself on the side for years. But I haven't worked for an actual company doing doors in just over 10 years now.

The going rate for my experience and doing commercial installations and commercial repairs down here, seemed to be about $18-$20 bucks an hour. That's what I made 10 years ago but that was in North Jersey, where the COL is brutally high. My monthly rent on a one bedroom apartment back then cost more than my current mortgage/taxes/insurance down here. some places pay $25 to $28 bucks an hour for it but you have to use your own truck. No way I'm using my own service truck working for someone else. I could potentially be driving 100-150 miles per day with the places they send you for service calls. The pathetic part is I'd estimate that to be around $35k-$40k per year, when factoring in days taken off and healthcare. I figure I'm on pace to make $45k this year, although I made about $55k last year. I almost think it would be worth it to take a $5k per year paycut to do that. The flexible hours being the only thing keeping me doing this.

I also am down a car (fiancé had an accident my XB and they totaled it. She was only driving it because her alternator went that day in her Jetta) and have to use my 97 f-350 diesel (with 398K miles) for work before I decide what to buy to replace the XB. Some days I use her Jetta. Now I have this anxiety about buyers seeing this old truck pull up and think "He looks like he isn't very reputable. He can't buy something better?". Though I have no problems taking this truck anyway. Put tires on it last month and last thing I replaced on it was the original turbo almost 30K miles and over two years ago.

It's not all bad though. Good god, I don't think I ever ranted about my job like this to anyone other than my fiancé.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 04:53 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
I close-to-never talk about politics. And I certainly don't like either candidate. BUT, I just saw the national news & the clip showing Michelle with Hillary. They were talking about women, voting, how Hillary has experience in the White House, and that she's a woman (does that mean someone questioned it? LMAO).

IMHO, I view the idea that women should vote for another woman simply based on gender, very condescending. People (regardless of gender) should vote for the person who they feel will do the best job. Now if only one was offered.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I close-to-never talk about politics. And I certainly don't like either candidate. BUT, I just saw the national news & the clip showing Michelle with Hillary. They were talking about women, voting, how Hillary has experience in the White House, and that she's a woman (does that mean someone questioned it? LMAO).

IMHO, I view the idea that women should vote for another woman simply based on gender, very condescending. People (regardless of gender) should vote for the person who they feel will do the best job. Now if only one was offered.
Yeah... it's tough, I'm filling out my mail in ballot today, I've got everything filled out except the presidential pick. I just can't make myself vote for either Hilary or Trump. LOL.

I'm nauseous thinking about either one. LOL.

I'm curious where a 'no vote' goes.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah... it's tough, I'm filling out my mail in ballot today, I've got everything filled out except the presidential pick. I just can't make myself vote for either Hilary or Trump. LOL.

Leave it blank.

That's what I'm leaning towards.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:22 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

It truly IS a sickening thought.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:27 PM

600 million sperm and those were the fastest two swimmers?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:03 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
I'm not going to apologize for liking Hilary Clinton. I've never even said this in public, I've been shouted down just for being a woman and having a vote: "You'll vote for Pantsuit!" ...Huh?

I don't just like her because I think Trump is a sexist buffoon, I would carefully consider any opponent, I just don't happen to think he's a legitimate opponent.

I can't help but think that some of the men hating her and making fun of her would be voting for her if she had the same opinions, views and speeches...but was a man. It would be a landslide, IMO.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:12 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

I can certainly get behind this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I'm not going to apologize for liking Hilary Clinton. I've never even said this in public, I've been shouted down just for being a woman and having a vote: "You'll vote for Pantsuit!" ...Huh?

I don't just like her because I think Trump is a sexist buffoon, I would carefully consider any opponent, I just don't happen to think he's a legitimate opponent.

I can't help but think that some of the men hating her and making fun of her would be voting for her if she had the same opinions, views and speeches...but was a man. It would be a landslide, IMO.
You shouldn't have to apologize for choosing to vote for anyone. I'd tell Trump supporters the same thing, as much as I'm embarrassed by him.

I am not Hillary fan but I really can't stand Trump. I'm not even particularly liberal. I do lean VERY left on almost all social issues. Although guns are a social issue too and I have to say I'm pro 2nd amendment. I don't own any guns though.

I can't figure out how Trump got so popular. It's very telling when I see a lot of these notorious Republican figures like Bush 41 and Colin Powell say they're voting for Clinton. I honestly believe there are some Republican's holding office currently, who are voting Clinton also. They just can't publicly say it, as it would be career suicide. Powell and George HW's political careers are over. Though Powell was always a more liberal Republican, if I recall correctly. My best friends ex was vehemently liberal and I remember her telling us back in the early 00's that she would vote him. And I respect that he doesn't lean one sided on his political party's beliefs, even if I don't agree with him on much.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I feel like the next two weeks are going to make me glad that the internet is full of puppy, kitten, and otter videos.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I feel like the next two weeks are going to make me glad that the internet is full of puppy, kitten, and otter videos.
Car videos. I'm kind of eye banging a Mercedes-Benz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships