Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 02:39 PM

151 posts, read 102,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I've had quite a bit of success on OKCupid actually, which is free. Do dating sites work? YES.

That being said, you have to work for it. You'll need to send those messages and be persistent to make it work.
The thing is that most people there do not respond to any messages even after reading them. I got only one date through match.com, and I have seen one of its members in real life (in the same city she claimed to be in). So I think that online dating can be real. Most dating sites, however, require subscription if you want to get some of the important functionalities such as knowing whether the receiver read your message or not, or knowing who visited your profile.

But there is one universal rule about dating sites - any site that meets one or more of the following criteria is fake:

1. has members who post naked or semi-naked photos
2. most members in it are too attractive
3. you get a lot of messages of members who never reply back if you responded or never go to chat outside the site itself
4. members in that site engage in sexting even before they get to know you first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
See this ^^^^ is what I genuinely don't understand my love

I've used POF and BADOO once each and had an arranged ONS years ago after a few mates where on my case to try it ....

After one of the more recent threads out of pure curiosity I reactivated my BADOO account..... I've put a very basic picture up ( even more plain and unflattering than my CD profile picture ), what I'm looking for (dating ) and minimal info on myself.

I purposely done the bare minimum and waited 24 hours to log in again...... I had 13 profile visits, 6 messages and 4 likes....... ( Out of the 6, 3 you would and 2 you really would LOL ) ....... However I unregistered shortly after.

Now I know Londons a big city and I've absolutely no idea on the ratio of who sends messages first ( men or women ), but other places in USA are HUGE in comparison to London therefore more options. Plus I'm sure a good few other blokes would be much easier on the eyes than I am LOL and have a far greater profile than I did!.

Honestly I am at a complete loss as to why people don't get messaged or have any interaction for weeks - months on end.

Ps I DO completely understand in a small town but a big one......

Thank you to all who answer
I remembered you weren't an American or lived here. Badoo is a scam site, too, FWIW. Or maybe I'm thinking about Zoosk. You probably got visited by lots of bots.

As has been pointed out many times before (I know I have), the demo balance in the typical dating range (say 21-39, more or less) here is heavily slanted in favor of women. I could probably make a killing if I felt I had to subject myself to receiving messages from 40+ women using OLD (thankfully, I don't) and it seems that most of my profile visits have been that over the last year or so I'd make a profile and keep it visible.

Of course, you can probably do okay trying for ONS. Obese women (40% of American women are obese) happen to be the most promiscuous body type that uses OLD. I bet most decent guys fret over that possibility, though.

(You're welcome, btw.)

Old 07-16-2016, 02:41 PM

511 posts, read 402,286 times
Quote:
Honestly I am at a complete loss as to why people don't get messaged or have any interaction for weeks - months on end.

Ps I DO completely understand in a small town but a big one......

Thank you to all who answer
Because some of us are repulsive, and no matter how articulate, fun, or interesting we might come across, no one will give us the time of day. See rules one and two.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:50 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
I remembered you weren't an American or lived here. Badoo is a scam site, too, FWIW. Or maybe I'm thinking about Zoosk. You probably got visited by lots of bots.

As has been pointed out many times before (I know I have), the demo balance in the typical dating range (say 21-39, more or less) here is heavily slanted in favor of women. I could probably make a killing if I felt I had to subject myself to receiving messages from 40+ women using OLD (thankfully, I don't) and it seems that most of my profile visits have been that over the last year or so I'd make a profile and keep it visible.

Of course, you can probably do okay trying for ONS. Obese women (40% of American women are obese) happen to be the most promiscuous body type that uses OLD. I bet most decent guys fret over that possibility, though.

(You're welcome, btw.)
10000% not BADOO mate so must be the other one

And yes LOL im fully aware I'm a foreigner and in foreign territory thank you very much but I'm pretty sure the differences between the 2 countries are not THAT different in terms of dating mate.

But again cheers for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Because some of us are repulsive, and no matter how articulate, fun, or interesting we might come across, no one will give us the time of day. See rules one and two.
Well yeah I do get that mate but even from what I've read on here some ( claim ) to be " hot " or " physically attractive " and ..... For a minute let's assume they are ( lol ) and they still don't get any interest.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:52 PM

472 posts, read 438,450 times
Quote:

It's so depressing. I actually feel more depressed since using OLD sites (I joined Match first followed by POF and OKC) than I did when I wasn't actively trying to get a girlfriend.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Why?
too expensive and it sounds like a lot of fake profiles.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
And you think "repulsive" women get attention? Wouldn't "repulsive" anyone struggle no matter what medium or tool they use to meet people?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:05 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Based on what a lot of guys say here, some have been on dating sites for months with little or no interaction. Of course, it varies a lot, and there are many factors that contribute to people's experiences.
If a guy is not getting any views on his profiles or responses back to the messages he sends he needs to try a new site or a new picture after two weeks.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:08 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
If a guy is not getting any views on his profiles or responses back to the messages he sends he needs to try a new site or a new picture after two weeks.
Perhaps new photos and a revised profile.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:08 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
too expensive and it sounds like a lot of fake profiles.
How much out of interest mate?

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships