Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Blame it on a fast pace 24 /7 society
Blame it on women competeing against men in the workforce more than at any point in the past.

But it seems to me that it's much harder to find someone to marry in 2016. There is just so much more stacked against people today(especially men) than what people witnessed in the 60's,70's and earlier for example. Maybe the Internet and the age of spying on everyone's life 24/7 really has been detrimental to human relationships. There are more single for lifers today than at any point in the past as a result.
women are getting more like men in attitude and in the workplace......and they don't want to come home and be the 'little wifey' so, with that said, its all women's fault. lol

Old 07-12-2016, 02:55 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
Quote:
Old times were better for relationships in some ways.
Better for relationships or better for men?

Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
Better for relationships or better for men?
better for relationships.

think about it.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But women being in the workforce is one thing that makes women marriageable. YMMV, but most guys don't want to have to support a woman who expects a free ride from the get-go.

Finding a good partner has always been a challenge. But in the past, people were expected to pair off at an early age, so they did, and then ended up regretting it some of the time, but divorce wasn't as easy, so they were stuck with their poor choices. Now everyone's much more free to choose, there's less family involvement in setting people up, less friend involvement, too, less class restrictions, so the field is wide open like never before. Plus, women are waiting longer; they're not using college to get their MRS degree. They're waiting to get set up in a good job, first, or they're going on to grad school, and postponing marriage even more.
Today is the age of throw-away relationships and disposable people. In the past people used to give much thought to the matter of marriage, because it was supposed to last and would not be easy to get out of. Young people who are going to get married would receive advice from their families and their more experienced friends. They were expected to learn to deal with the problems that come up in the course of marriage, not run away from them.

Nowadays people tend to divorce for the most trivial of reasons, or even as soon as the first passion fades, as it inevitably will. There is nothing permanent in these people's life, nothing worth fighting for.

Personally, I am glad that my fiance (a little over 30) and myself (a little under 30) both feel like people of the past, rather than people of the throw-away age. We are going to get married and STAY married, whatever it takes.

And yes, I expect my fiance to take care of me, at least at the most vulnerable time when I am pregnant or raising a baby. I would not want risking any pathologies for my child from an overstressed, harried mother who has to juggle both job and pregnancy. While I can certainly take care of myself, I would expect a man who truly loves me to demonstrate this love in observable ways.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
It's not harder. It just different and if you are the type who is interested in getting married you need to adapt.

Study history, things/ society changes over time. That's the way things have always been. You have people who can't adapt complaining that things were better in a time they don't even remember. 100 years ago you had the same sorts of people complaining about the same sorts of things. Even in the time frame the OP is talking about you had people who thought things were horrible. The boils down to you either adapt or stay frustrated because you can't turn back history. And 30-40 years from now some people who aren't even born today will complain how it was all so great in the time we live now and if they go back to the "golden age."

Old 07-12-2016, 05:10 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
better for relationships.

think about it.
Oh I have thought about it. And no, I don't think it's better for relationships. Why do people go on about the past being so great? Makes me laugh. Rose - tinted glasses come to mind. I believe psychologists call it rosy retrospection. You go and find a time machine. I'm staying in the present thank you very much

Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I think we're just smarter about what is and is not going to work. Less likely to try something when the benefits may not outweigh the risks.....

Old 07-12-2016, 06:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP: Its just as easy to get married today. However, that all depends on what you're looking for. Since you believe its harder, my guess is that you want a woman or man that is more traditional, has conservative moral character, is not promiscuous, works hard, is honest, dresses modestly, and probably religious. Well, I'd start looking among religious people, if that's the case.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Blame it on a fast pace 24 /7 society
Blame it on women competeing against men in the workforce more than at any point in the past.

But it seems to me that it's much harder to find someone to marry in 2016. There is just so much more stacked against people today(especially men) than what people witnessed in the 60's,70's and earlier for example. Maybe the Internet and the age of spying on everyone's life 24/7 really has been detrimental to human relationships. There are more single for lifers today than at any point in the past as a result.
Perhaps people have more options now and have more ways to meet other people.

So they can be more choosier and selective when looking at compatible people......Hence deeming and writing off more people as not " marriage material ".

Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 AM

733 posts, read 603,248 times
I am not old enough to know how hard marriage was decades ago. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships