Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times

Advertisements

I shared with a friend the lack of interest I receive in OLD. She said since most of my pictures were selfies I should really consider having professional pictures done. She knew some places where I could get a few done for around $50. Has anyone had professional pictures done squarely for the purpose of online dating? Did it end up yielding more responses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I think a better idea is to get friends to take pictures of you doing what you do when you are out and about. I don't do OLD, but when I did all my shots were candids taken by others in various settings.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think a better idea is to get friends to take pictures of you doing what you do when you are out and about. I don't do OLD, but when I did all my shots were candids taken by others in various settings.
^^^^^ this!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
This, or even not candids while out and about

Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
I agree. Something natural, rather than posed like you're modeling in the Sears catalog.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
I have a candid photo taken of me a few months back that's done decently well of getting my strongest physical suit across, my smile. Any time I've asked a woman what she found interesting, they stated that my smile alone caused them to click on my profile and read it. It also combines my passion for volunteering, looking sharp in a blazer when it's not summer time, and conversing with people in general. I don't photograph myself well, so this particular shot caught me at one of my absolute best moments.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:32 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
I would recommend that you go with a professional. A good one will be able to balance studio shots with other photos that highlight your intrests and character. They have the technical expertise and equipment for quality as well as the artistic vision/experience to best highlight your personality.

Wedding photographers for example deliver both. They will deliver photos that are studio or onsite with proper lighting and traditional poses. They also will deliver candid shots from the wedding rehersal dinner, wedding itself, and party afterwards.

I worked as in wedding and events as a second photographer for a short time. The mindset is dual: subject and story. You focus on the person for subject shots. You tell a story with the subject interacting with settting/environment. You need both.

There are very subtle and phsychological things in photography that a good photographer can leverage with experience. If you study traditional male solo, female solo, and couple poses, they convey messages to the viewer that is subconscious. Some poses can mean strength... others softness gentlness. Others open up the center of body for vulnerability but welcoming others close center of body can convey security. etc... If you quickly look up solo male poses they are very different from female poses for a reason. If you are a strong female figure (maybe athletic build), a slighty masculine pose may work to convey it...

kinda hard to explain and I'm sure I'm not doing a good job at describing it. It takes a lot of experience. All I know is that most of the online profile pictures I've seen are utter crap and don't do service to the individuals. We had a thread here along the same lines and many posted an increase intrest in their OLD once proper photos were taken.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I think both: a couple of professional shots, especially for people who aren't photogenic. Usayit ^^ has the right idea. Then a couple of spontaneous shots by friends, when you're out having fun. Selfies don't make a good impression for a lot of people; they're very poor quality photos.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
If you're talking old school portrait style a la senior photos or Olan Mills, no. If it's lifestyle/candid, go for it. Hire a photographer to photograph you out in the wild at a location you frequent, or in an area/setting you're comfortable with. The objective is to catch you doing everyday things. It's a photojournalistic style. It can tell a story and engage your audience.

I never used "selfies" if we're talking the traditional bathroom/myspace photo, but as a photographer I took all of my photos.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:28 AM

971 posts, read 689,714 times
As a man, if I picked up on professional pics, I would probably run. To me a woman who had professional pics taken flags her as high maintenance or fake. I would much sooner see real, non staged pics of a woman doing real things in her life. Heck even a selfie in a mirror over $$$ pics. Just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships