Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 04:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical question:
Say you are seeing someone...and only one of you has a vehicle. In this case, it's the guy who drives, the woman is bereft of wheels. Now, the guy drives to see her frequently. Both live a considerably short distance from each other, with adequate public transportation (bus) in between.

Now, the woman says she wants to spend time with the guy; the guy can't always get over there, but [he] suggests that she take the bus to his place. She refuses, although she is familiar with the bus - as stated, she doesn't drive. Wouldn't this be considered selfish on her part if she refuses to go to his place, rather than his driving there all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,633 times
Yes. My friend is in this situation. Has been dating someone for a little over a year. They live about 30 minutes from each other and he's usually going to her because she doesn't have a car. If they make plans for her to go to his place, she takes the bus, even though it takes about an hour each way for her to do so.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:58 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Yes, I don't own a car (by choice) and my girlfriend lives on the other side of the city. She drives all the time. Expecting her to always come up to mine (though I live in a waaaay more fun neighborhood with lots of entertainment options and connections to other cool hoods) is selfish, so I do the 1 hour el to bus commute to her place, even though she offers to come pick me up. It's not just a question of being selfish though, I don't want to develop a dependence on her giving me a ride.

In your hypothetical? situation, there's also Uber to bridge the gap.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Of course it's selfish.

And I'm betting such people never offer to pay for the gas either.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:03 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Hypothetical question:
Say you are seeing someone...and only one of you has a vehicle. In this case, it's the guy who drives, the woman is bereft of wheels. Now, the guy drives to see her frequently. Both live a considerably short distance from each other, with adequate public transportation (bus) in between.

Now, the woman says she wants to spend time with the guy; the guy can't always get over there, but [he] suggests that she take the bus to his place. She refuses, although she is familiar with the bus - as stated, she doesn't drive. Wouldn't this be considered selfish on her part if she refuses to go to his place, rather than his driving there all the time?
It's completely depends mate.

Id assume it's a hell of a lot quicker and easier for him to get over there so personally I just do it , However the odd occasion id be knackered from work for example and she didn't want to to come over then I probably would be annoyed yes and think it's quite selfish.

I would do whatever's easiest for us as a couple as much as possible ( meaning I've got the car so I'll drive ) but a compromise should be in place just in case something happened to the car or I couldn't make it.....

As this is hypothetical..... For me I don't drive as its not really needed in central London but I've had a few that have drove and I'd usually get a cab to theirs or a bus, but more often than not they will pick me up and take me to theirs

Old 07-19-2016, 05:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,825 times
Quote:
Hypothetical question:

Homegirl can Uber her way over there. Seriously. I wouldn't even bother with taking a bus.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:05 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,380 times
Quote:
Hypothetical question:

Has she indicated why she will not take public transportation?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Hypothetical question:

I dated someone who did all the driving even though I had a car. He never suggested that I take a bus, and I would not have. I did other things for him so I didn't feel like I was being selfish.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:08 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,973 times
nope. Won't date someone who refuses to drive or own a car. Not where I live since public transit is not an option.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Has she indicated why she will not take public transportation?
Good point mate

If it's for safety reasons in particular then I'd pay for a cab

I wouldn't expect or want my missus to travel on public transport at a certain time no way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships