Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:15 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times

Advertisements

I dated a guy and broke up with him after a few months. He was a low-gradw hoarder. There's 5 stages of a hoarder. Stage 1 is mild while stage 5 is extreme. He falls in between 2 and 3. He kept his living room/kitchen area somewhat tidy. Only because his roommate keeps up on the housework. Then eventually he showed me his bedroom.... It looked like a tornado went through it. You couldn't walk into the room without stepping on trash. It was absolutely cluttered with garbage that needed to be thrown out. He also had 3 huge bookcases filled with mostly books. Hs bathroom was a disaster with papers and junk laying all over.

In the beginning, I mentioned why not hire someone to clean the mess up. He responded that he will clean it up himself. I was like okay.... And on a few occasions, I made comments about getting the mess cleaned up and even mentioned his landlord might fine him seeing the mess as a health/safety hazard. After him telling me that the "spare bedroom" was worse, I ran for the hills. I never looked in that "spare bedroom". I took his word for it and decided to end things with him.

I don't mind a little clutter here and there. There's a difference between a home that's lived in or looks like absolute chaos

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 08-07-2016 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Only ones that had overflowing wardrobes and shoe racks if that counts?

Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I'm a minimalist type of guy, a hoarder would be an instant and probably one of the fastest deal breakers I could think of.

I HATE clutter, almost to the point of obsession... which is ironic if you think about it.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:01 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,665 times
I don't mind if A woman is a hoarder as long as she treated me good and was faithful, if it was too bad I would just hang with her at my place.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34;45047219;
He also had 3 huge bookcases filled with mostly books.
Why would it be shocking that someone keeps books in their bookcases? This one I don't get. I've seen homes where an entire huge wall of a hallway or living room is full of books. That's fairly normal. Trash and papers everywhere--that's another matter. I wouldn't call it hoarding, though. Hoarding is when someone goes to yard sales or junk yards or flea markets, and brings home more and more stuff, often collecting variations of the same items that they fixate on. They consider the piles of stuff to be a valuable "collection", and they're obsessive-compulsive about adding to it. It's a form of OCD.

Your ex-guy is just disorganized and undisciplined; he's messy. He's not a hoarder.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Only ones that had overflowing wardrobes and shoe racks if that counts?
Hmmmmmm.................

...........................so an actress, a dancer is seen as a hoarder? I mean, we have outfits and accessories galore and when I move into my ranch house, I will probably dedicate a closet to such. Talking with a girl friend right now, as it would be, about shopping for our mermaid tails together. In my master bedroom closet, that's where oodles and oodles of my boots will go.

Rather concerned, though, that having book shelves loaded with books is seen as hoarding.

While there are those that are pictured on TV, I suppose that it comes down how we define it in our minds to whether the date is it or not.

Basically and overall, if we see things in our dates that we don't like, however we wish to call it, that will probably be the deal breaker.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 AM

997 posts, read 937,850 times
I used to watch the show 'Hoarders' all the time. Some people hoard trash and they do tend to have trash everywhere. Some of them are about collecting things of value, or garage sale finds but they don't deal with them. They go into ignore mode.

I actually watched that show a lot because I was trying to lose the hoarder mentality. I am not a big hoarder but I was a baby hoarder. I had tendencies.

It did help me recognize the distorted thinking, where objects represent memories or parts of yourself, and parting with them is painful. Most hoarders plan to rehome their items, but they never do. They can't throw things away.

I learned that it is ok to throw things away because it is better then holding onto them to wait until the time comes when you are going to take them to the donation center. That time never comes and the items are not in great shape and maybe nobody else wants them. Hoarders also tend to think that their trash is treasures.

A lot of the people would go into hoarder mode after a loss, such as a death. It is a coping mechanism, or that is how it starts out.

Would I date a hoarder? Maybe, but I would have to really like him and I would make him watch 'Hoarders'.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
He also had 3 huge bookcases filled with mostly books.
The purpose of a bookcase IS to hold books. That should not have shocked you...

Old 08-08-2016, 06:32 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I don't mind if A woman is a hoarder as long as she treated me good and was faithful, if it was too bad I would just hang with her at my place.
Casual dating maybe. Serious relationship, no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would it be shocking that someone keeps books in their bookcases? This one I don't get. I've seen homes where an entire huge wall of a hallway or living room is full of books. That's fairly normal. Trash and papers everywhere--that's another matter. I wouldn't call it hoarding, though. Hoarding is when someone goes to yard sales or junk yards or flea markets, and brings home more and more stuff, often collecting variations of the same items that they fixate on. They consider the piles of stuff to be a valuable "collection", and they're obsessive-compulsive about adding to it. It's a form of OCD.

Your ex-guy is just disorganized and undisciplined; he's messy. He's not a hoarder.
The 3 bookcases wouldn't of look so bad if his room was kept tidy. He told me that the 3rd bedroom was a complete disaster because there was no shelves to put things on. I didn't take a peek so can't describe what it really looked like. In his bedroom, he had trash bags full of stuff laying around that needed to be thrown out. The carpet could barely be seen because it was so littered with papers, plastic bottles, dirty laundry, magazines and junk laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The purpose of a bookcase IS to hold books. That should not have shocked you...
True. Although the bookshelves no longer have any more space for books, so any more books he bought would be placed in a pile somewhere

Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hmmmmmm.................

...........................so an actress, a dancer is seen as a hoarder? I mean, we have outfits and accessories galore and when I move into my ranch house, I will probably dedicate a closet to such. Talking with a girl friend right now, as it would be, about shopping for our mermaid tails together. In my master bedroom closet, that's where oodles and oodles of my boots will go.

Rather concerned, though, that having book shelves loaded with books is seen as hoarding.

While there are those that are pictured on TV, I suppose that it comes down how we define it in our minds to whether the date is it or not.

Basically and overall, if we see things in our dates that we don't like, however we wish to call it, that will probably be the deal breaker.
It was tongue in cheek and a joke

Of course it's not hoarding, It came to mind as my ex was a stereotypical lady and had a mountain of clothes, shoes, handbags etc

And NO I'm pretty certain that a book rack won't be considered clutter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships