Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe he's a CD reader where it's encouraged to not pass up any chance.
lol! He must have read that old thread where some women said that offering his number instead of asking for hers is a good way to go for a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:30 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry, but what exactly is so weird about a guy flirting and hitting up a girl in public?

Based on the sheer numbers of 'woe is me' souls on this forum, guys so afraid of their own shadows they can't even look a woman straight in the eyes, isn't what he did to be commended?

Seems guys can't win for trying these days. Don't have the courage to ask a girl out, you're a loser. Flirt with a girl and ask her out, you're weird.

Not trying to be harsh on the OP but saying the truth.).
I didn't look but has anyone called him creeper yet?

EDIT....oops, just saw someone did.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but what exactly is so weird about a guy flirting and hitting up a girl in public?

Based on the sheer numbers of 'woe is me' souls on this forum, guys so afraid of their own shadows they can't even look a woman straight in the eyes, isn't what he did to be commended?

Seems guys can't win for trying these days. Don't have the courage to ask a girl out, you're a loser. Flirt with a girl and ask her out, you're weird.

Not trying to be harsh on the OP but saying the truth.

Anyways, the only nitpick I have with the guy is that he should have asked for the OP's number, instead of the weaker tactic of giving her his number (the equivalent of giving a female a note asking her out along with his phone number, something only acceptable in 5th grade).
Gotta disagree here on a couple of counts, Guy. Nothing wrong with hitting up someone in public. Hitting on an employee (see numerous back threads) is different; it corners them, they're working so they have no escape, plus--they're required to be nice to customers. It's potentially very awkward for the employee. The only way to do it without making the employee feel pressured is exactly the way he did it; he gave her his number, leaving the ball in her court, where it should be in a case like that. He recognized that she was in a vulnerable position, so he did the right thing and gave her his number instead of demanding hers. I think he handled it with class.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gotta disagree here on a couple of counts, Guy. Nothing wrong with hitting up someone in public. Hitting on an employee (see numerous back threads) is different; it corners them, they're working so they have no escape, plus--they're required to be nice to customers. It's potentially very awkward for the employee. The only way to do it without making the employee feel pressured is exactly the way he did it; he gave her his number, leaving the ball in her court, where it should be in a case like that. He recognized that she was in a vulnerable position, so he did the right thing and gave her his number instead of demanding hers. I think he handled it with class.
Exactly. It's just not cool in general.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Just know that he's probably playing the numbers game, hits up a bunch of women in places where they are sorta stuck at and can't leave. They have to actually listen to you.

Not trying to be a downer here, just keeping it real.
Voila. Chow gets it. Service employees are sitting ducks. The OP's customer deflected some of the pressure from her by giving his number, though.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I've been approached so many times and very very rarely would I have thought it creepy. There have been a few creepy dudes, sure. Creepers gonna creep. BUT it's about how you do it. I mean if you're following the woman around the Intimates department at an arm's distance without saying anything, sure, that would be creepy.

Oh, by the way, although I was never in the service industry, I was asked out about a bajillion times at various jobs just by answering the phone. It happens. And sometimes it's cool.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:01 PM

462 posts, read 550,302 times
Quote:

Not trying to be harsh on the OP but saying the truth.

Anyways, the only nitpick I have with the guy is that he should have asked for the OP's number, instead of the weaker tactic of giving her his number (the equivalent of giving a female a note asking her out along with his phone number, something only acceptable in 5th grade).

Agree with this post 100%. Guys, always get her number first.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:24 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously Ruth?

Nothing personal, I enjoy reading your responses in general, but I disagree with what you state.

Hitting on an employee is different? How so?

Cashiers and store personnel get hit on all the time, absolutely nothing creepy or weird about it. Been that way for millenia. They are not cornered or pressured to be nice to the customer for the sake of being nice.

All a person has to do is to decline nicely or accept. That's it. Simple.

In fact, I'd say it is even more admirable that a guy can ask someone like a store cashier out. There's potentially other people around, and you're putting yourself out there.

This is just over analyzing something just to prove some point.

Like I said, guys can't win for anything on this forum sometimes.

Guys actually have the courage to approach and flirt with someone they are interested in, and the naysayers will shoot that down and bring up non issues about it being creepy and pressuring the girl.

Guys who are too afraid to ask a girl out and wait for them to say something, now the same naysayers will criticize that guy for not being more outgoing and approaching women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
Agree with this post 100%. Guys, always get her number first.
Exactly.

Always ask for her number. That is a sure fire way to see if she at least shows some interest.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:19 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Nothing creepy about it. People should always go for it. The worst that can happen is they get rejected.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
This is a man who tries to meet women when they're on the job and can't walk away or be rude. But at least he has the kindness to show that he's a creep right from the start!
It was pure, unrestrained misogyny, and I'm sick of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships