Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,461,630 times

Advertisements

I would say anyone "better looking" has an advantage over those who are not, but that advantage will quickly diminish if other traits overpower its appeal.

It's a sliding scale with some five and some take involved, not a ridged structured one.

This is why It's best to be a little bit well rounded in multiple areas rather than relying only on one or two specifics.

Rounded people will always have a better "overall" advantage over those who are not due to being versed in more things, but all advantages have their own payouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,106,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
I'm not really a shy or socially inept guy (I regularly get on with randos when I'm out), but I'm not very outgoing without having a genuine reason to engage someone, and I fly solo a lot, so I'm guessing I come across as "shy" a lot of the time... and that, combined with being burn victim ugly, I still get occasionally chatted up by women.

Depending on where I am, they're usually burnt out cougars, or cute early-twenties lushes (i.e. not wifey material in either case) but I figure if a piece of garbage like me can get hit up on occasion, average guys must get 10x that, and good looking guys 100x that... or something like that.
I must be hideous then because I've never been approached by a women and im 36 lol

Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I must be hideous then because I've never been approached by a women and im 36 lol
Do you look all around you when you go out (make eye contact)? Are you going out to places where it's easy to start a conversation (clubs, bars or wherever)? Do you look like you're having fun - not over-the-top but just approachable, fun, interesting?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:46 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,541,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Do you look all around you when you go out (make eye contact)? Are you going out to places where it's easy to start a conversation (clubs, bars or wherever)? Do you look like you're having fun - not over-the-top but just approachable, fun, interesting?
Yup

Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,913,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
My father had both and what kind of father was he?

Non-Existent.

Seen lots of other confident guys who are just about the same way in attitude once you really get to know them. Shy people on the other hand you have to get know a bit more in my experience, and most of the time they're good people.

I'm sorry but I've seen way too many women get burned by the whole allure of confidence to say that shyness is a bad thing. For example I know a guy who was very shy in his early 30's until he met a wonderful woman who got to know him and now they live a very happy life in San Fran with a child.

If she's worth your time she'll look past one thing about you.
You are projecting based on your dad who was not a good guy to you. Confidence/charisma and being a good guy are not mutually exclusive despite what your dad showed you.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,913,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
Yet a lot of people think confidence and being sociable are mutually exclusive to being a good person, and being shy and socially awkward is not.
Being shy and socially awkward does not make someone a bad person. It does handicap them in a lot of areas though.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:26 PM

511 posts, read 402,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Well, I figure I must be fugly when I look at my male friends/co-workers and they've got a laundry list of cute women matched on Tinder, and I've never had a single match (other than bots) in 3+ years of swiping.

Getting approached two or three times a year from a drunk ASU sophomore or some weathered soccer mom doesn't exactly put me at the same level as getting dates and hookups on the regular. I haven't had a date in over three years. Pretty sure I'm a dumpster fire to most women.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:37 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Well, I figure I must be fugly when I look at my male friends/co-workers and they've got a laundry list of cute women matched on Tinder, and I've never had a single match (other than bots) in 3+ years of swiping.

Getting approached two or three times a year from a drunk ASU sophomore or some weathered soccer mom doesn't exactly put me at the same level as getting dates and hookups on the regular. I haven't had a date in over three years. Pretty sure I'm a dumpster fire to most women.
My acupuncturist looks a lot like you, except he wears his hair long in a ponytail. Same Scandinavian type, though. He was considered to be quite the eligible bachelor in town before he got married in his mid-20's. Quite the heart-throb. You're not a dumpster fire. It would help if you smiled, though.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,361,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I think he thinks that just by having good looks and physical attractiveness will compensate his being shy in getting a girlfriend or pulling a bird

And certainly sounds like by getting back his former glory ( in being fit ) he will be more confident ... Which in fairness I think we can all relate to
It's the sameO thing just a different day another thread.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:41 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,663,904 times
If he has money, then he has A GREAT CHANCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships